Entry level or does 8GB make a huge difference?

1. Loonymoon
    Froyo May 22, 2018

Loonymoon , May 22, 2018 :
    given that laptops area till sometimes sold with 4GB RAM will I really notice is I save a few penniea and go for the 8/64 version of the OP6 when I can place an order in a few hours time?

64GB should be plenty since I've had no issues with my 32GB 3T.

Atharvmanwaniii likes this.
  2. meatandy
    Oreo May 22, 2018

meatandy , May 22, 2018 :
    6 gb is enough for everybody , don't get caught up in that spec.

3. Loonymoon
    Froyo May 22, 2018

Loonymoon , May 22, 2018 :
    Bloody can't type on this 3T obviously..lol maybe an extra 2GB will make the difference lol

TBH I thought so too. I was thinking about going for the matte black but that's not an option.

4. DJ.Fernandes
    Cupcake May 22, 2018

DJ.Fernandes , May 22, 2018 :
    The price difference is so small, that I gladly pay the extra money for the 8GB RAM and 128GB Storage. :)

5. F_張東尼_DtSX
    Gingerbread May 22, 2018

F_張東尼_DtSX , May 22, 2018 :
    6G RAM does not make a difference.
    64G ROM does make a difference.

Tbh, the base model should be 6/128:confused:

ps. all android phones should start with 6G RAM (not 4G).

Atharvmanwaniii likes this.
  6. Hydra Bob
    Starting Point Expert May 22, 2018

Hydra Bob , May 22, 2018 :
    Really 4GB is plenty for an Android phone these days. Android has made leaps and bounds in memory management since the old dalvik days and is only getting better. If any device is struggling with 4 gigs it's probably because the OEM loaded it up with all sorts of useless bloatware. On a phone like the OP6 that runs an almost stock version of Android 6GB is more than enough, 8 is completely overkill but RAM is cheap and it looks good on the spec sheets so here we are.

7. Shivang Joshi
    Starting Point Expert May 22, 2018

Shivang Joshi , May 22, 2018 :
    Go for 8GB variants only if you need more storage. My buying decision would depend on the storage here as 6/8GB of RAM is enough for most(all?) of the users.

8. MikhailTheItalian
    Honeycomb May 22, 2018

MikhailTheItalian , May 22, 2018 :
    I guess you're talking about LG, Samsung and HTC lol. You're totally right about the RAM and to me given the numerous cloud storage options there are it doesn't make sense getting a phone with loads of storage because it'll just slow down the phone if one manages to load it up

Hydra Bob likes this.
  9. marlox
    Honeycomb May 22, 2018

10. _Kerys_Firkins_
    Cupcake May 22, 2018

meatandy likes this.
  11. ronnyhawks
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 22, 2018

ronnyhawks , May 22, 2018 :
    256gb storage is what I'm looking to get, but to be honest, will probably settle for the 8gb RAM/128gb storage one instead. that's what my 5T is, and it's plenty

meatandy and _Kerys_Firkins_ like this.
  12. _Kerys_Firkins_
    Cupcake May 22, 2018

_Kerys_Firkins_ , May 22, 2018 :
    you've not had to use cloud storage or anything? sorry I'm new to oneplus and phones with no sd card slots I apologise

meatandy likes this.
  13. meatandy
    Oreo May 22, 2018

Nope , the midnight black comes in the 8gb/256 varient only.
    If that's the color you want go for it ,the cost isn't that much more and if you do the math over the course of 2 years that's maybe pennies A Day difference. ;)

14. meatandy
    Oreo May 22, 2018

Yes , I use cloud backup for my pictures.

Also welcome to the Forum .

15. meatandy
    Oreo May 22, 2018

In my opinion go for the color you want and don't get caught up in all those specs unless you load a lot of games , pictures and videos.

16. _Kerys_Firkins_
    Cupcake May 22, 2018

_Kerys_Firkins_ , May 22, 2018 :
    well it would be either midnight or slik white... I use a case on my phone at all times so it doesn't really matter what colour. I want the phone for what it does not the colour, if you get me? haha thank you so much for helping me Ive only ever had android phones but all with sd card slots in so this is new for me haha

meatandy likes this.
  17. anupritaisno1
    KitKat May 22, 2018

anupritaisno1 , May 22, 2018 :
    Eh it does make a difference but

The difference would only be visible on a custom ROM. They'd probably combine and release a common ROM for all variants and that would definitely ruin memory management

Do you do any of these?
    Have 1000+ open tabs in chrome
    Want to keep 100+ apps in the background and switch constantly (sometimes engineers and other professional workers need to do this because they need to keep track of scientific data)
    Want to keep your device for more than 6 years

If the answer to any of these is yes, you could go for the 8gb variant. Even today flagships use 4 GB ram so 8 GB is overkill. It won't offer any performance benefits so keep that in mind

Deactivated User and Loonymoon like this.
  18. meatandy
    Oreo May 22, 2018

Either way be ready to order the accessories you need right away because they usually go out of stock fairly quickly.

19. Zhukov45
    Gingerbread May 22, 2018

Zhukov45 , May 22, 2018 :
    I have the 5 with 6Gb/64Gb and don't feel like I need any extra storage. All my media files are in the cloud.

20. artloverjv
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 22, 2018

artloverjv , May 22, 2018 :
    Yep. Cloud Storage is a great option for many. I have a 5 with 8GB/128GB. One thing I noticed was that when storage is about 75% full or above, the File Manager kinda slows down. Not only that, when you connect your device to PC, it takes some time to load up the contents of the storage. So, I can only imagine what'll happen when that 256GB storage is at 75% or more. Cloud storage makes more sense in the areas with faster Internet Speeds. And going completely online with storage is not really an option in India.