10. 10. Giovanni

30 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. Vito B.
    Social Media FR & UK Staff Member Aug 18, 2020

Vito B. , Aug 18, 2020 :
    #ShotonOnePlus W2 TW.png
    [Update 08/24/2020]
    We are very happy to announce the 10 finalists for this week contest! Now, let's vote :)
    241_rizwan.png
    1.Rizwan
    257_juan_full redux.jpg
    2. Juan
    305_cameron_full redux.jpg
    3. Cameron
    312_briege_full redux.jpg
    4. Briege
    462_mellissa_full_redux.jpg
    5. Mellissa
    887_sven full 2 redux.jpg
    6. Sven
    905_marco_full redux.jpg
    7. Marco
    1315_jannik_full redux.jpg
    8. Jannik
    xxx_artlight_full redux.jpg
    9. Artlight
    xxx_giovanni 2 full redux.jpg
    10. Giovanni

Greetings community,

Here we are for the second week of our #ShotonOnePlus contest. But before introducing this week’s topic, let me remind you that you can vote for your favorite pictures from last week HERE.

So, this week, we want to push your creativity to the limit. As many of us are stuck at home, we need to find ways to use what we have access to. And for that Pro mode and macro mode can be your best friends.

• So to guide you on this, with asked one of our community members to help. I let him first introduce himself:
    My name is José Luis, Spanish and I live in Oviedo, city in the north of the country. I have many hobbies and interests and astronomy, computer science, science, music, or travel are some of them. But if I had to highlight some it would be technology, smartphones and especially photography. While with mobiles I started late, the same is not true of the photograph I have practiced since I was very young, and I read a lot about it.

A hobby that I always made with analog SLR cameras and for work reasons I left it for a period of time. Until I started immersing myself in the world of mobiles. When I discovered it in that format, I set out to continue with it exclusively. Reasons such as the comfort and speed of being able to take a photograph with a smartphone were the reasons that led me to do so. Carrying your phone in your pocket represents an opportunity at the time you least expect and that allows me to follow the slogan "there's no worse picture than the one that's not done." Mobile photography I think allows me to.

And if you ask me why OnePlus, the answer is very simple. In 2014 I was running away from third-party software layers and was tired of flashing some ROM than some other ROM. And I found out that a smartphone was going to come out with the CyanogenMod ROM, the best of the time. It was a very nice phone, at an unimaginable price and with sleep features. All these circumstances made me register with the OnePlus Community on April 24, starting my journey with the OnePlus One and since then I'm still here.

Over time I have become more involved in the Community. I have been through almost every model, OP2, OP3, OP5, OP5T, OP6, OP7 Pro to my current OP8 Pro.

My "complicity" with OnePlus has meant that I volunteered in Madrid for the Euro Tour of in 2016, that I won a place of the contest for the presentation of OP6 in London in 2018, or that in 2019 I was invited by the Spanish team to make a series of posts on mobile photography that I published for 8 consecutive weeks. And in 2019, I also received the invitation to make another post about long exposure photography. All this, done logically with the OnePlus smartphone that I had in each of those moments.

• Where do you like to take your pictures?
    I do not think there is an ideal place. Anybody is good if you get the scene you are trying to do. Oviedo is a small town, which has unique sites and can give a lot of play in urban photography. But I still must develop that touch of analytical gaze that allows me to know where there is that exclusive detail to take an attractive urban photograph.

That's why, now that I'm a long time old, I'm looking for those scenes that make a photo reflect more than just a pretty building. It is hard, I am not a professional and that analytical look I think you have to have it innately or practice it a lot.

Still, for example, on one of those walks I looked at a shop window that had dentist mirrors hanging. It seemed like an original scene and I did not miss the opportunity to take some pictures.

I had to move around various places in the city. I went to a park where there are enabled places for dogs to play or where many people are walking them. There I got most of the photos of pets and other scenes like Mafalda or the building.

But the chances allowed me to find myself with a nice greyhound from an acquaintance, a very quiet greyhound and who let himself take photos without problems. Or that in another park, he would get some more pets, that of a person walking to the bottom of one of its streets and that of graffiti. Like I say, it is chances you only get if you move around town.

Not long ago, the works of a residential complex with a shopping center were completed, with striking lighting of the buildings, bright frames surround the windows and colorful lights illuminate the interior of one of its areas. So already closed night I went out with my OnePlus 8 Pro to take pictures of the site and try to capture its originality.

You will see that there have been several and varied places where I took all the photos.

• So, José, what’s the best place in your city to take a city wide-angle shot?
    As I was saying, Oviedo is a small town. Sometimes I miss those illuminated skyscrapers in big cities, the luminous signs, settings that appeal to me a lot and that I personally think are ideal for wide-angle photography. Still, of course there are places where I can do this kind of photography in my city, places where I did some for the review I published of the OnePlus 8 Pro. Open and spacious sites that allow you to maximize the stage. Squares, unique or historic buildings, parks or pedestrian streets seem to me the best. And we cannot forget that the inhabitants of the city can also or should be the target of it, which on the other hand can be a problem because of the issue of privacy.

My advice on where to be to take these photographs is to play with the views. Taking photos from high places like terraces of tall buildings, putting yourself at ground level, using the different types of angles, chopped, counterpevering, etc., I think are the best options to take pictures of these spaces with the Wide Angle camera. In addition, if we include reflections and take care of the composition, the results can be fascinating.

Unfortunately, in Oviedo we do not have tall buildings that can be freely accessed to their terraces, so there is no other option but the other places I tell you.

Tell you, finally, that in urban photography there is something that, at least I, must improve and overcome. I mean shame. When I am going to take pictures in the city, I always have a little qualm about whether anyone catches my eye if you think I am photographing you.

• Which function on OnePlus 8 Series you like the most? which mode you like the best?

There are undoubtedly two that are my favorites. The Pro Mode and the Macro, and those two the Pro. The possibility to choose the parameters you need to make a balanced photo, that with the camera of a mobile you can select factors such as ISO, exposure speed, white balance, etc. and that of being able to get the histogram to be more suitable to obtain a well-exposed photograph, I find it amazing. In my opinion, this is the method that should dominate, progress, and even try to expand its use. Let us say it is the way to "professionalize" the use of the mobile camera.

Obviously, it is not always possible to use them, whether we want to or not, these cameras have their limitations for the architecture of mobile phones and their sensors. In addition, it is not always possible to take photos with this mode. The circumstance when taking the photo can force us to use the other functions such as Automatic, Nightscape, Macro, Portrait or Panorama, for example.

• Which camera you use the most?
    The answer is not easy. As you can imagine, it depends on the type of photograph you are going to do. Logically, if for example I am traveling and want to leave the places I visit, I will not be able to use anything other than The Automatic, Panorama or Nightscape. At times like this you cannot always stop to set parameters, you need immediate shooting and those modes are ideal to understand.

If the photograph I am doing is for pure pleasure, then I already try to use mainly Pro or Macro mode if there is any interesting reason. I have discovered that this Macro Mode can do wonders and I am really fond of it. It is also true that when I was photographing with SLR cameras I already really liked to take these kinds of photos, so now I can go back to those origins.

And as I said before, the possibility of having full control over the parameters that influence a photo, makes it try to use the Professional camera as much as possible.

The combination of scenarios and the camera used can be complex. There is no doubt that, in scenarios with daylight or well lit, the camera in Automatic, Macro or Pro any of them and depending on the reason you are going to photograph, they are the most suitable. But there are night lighting scenarios, in which I have also been able to use the camera without any problem in Automatic.

Of course, if the night lighting is not good, we should go to use the Nightscape camera, or we could try the Pro Mode with great exposure times. This involves having to do many tests with combinations of different ISO to get good exposures. The problem we have when there are low nighttime highlights is the appearance of noise in the photo. With the Nightscape camera we will not be able to control it, the smartphonne takes care of everything, but with the Pro Mode the domain is ours and you can get better control over it. However, it is not always possible to use this camera.

From my experience I can say that, if we are in front of a well-lit building or on a street with good light, the Automatic camera will do its job well. Even the Wide-Angle camera will too.

The moment when we have low-luminous corners, narrow streets with little light, parks with low lighting, we will have no choice but to use the Nightscape camera.

And if for example we want to take photographs of the sky and the stars or long exposure, I have only been able to achieve good results with the Professional camera. This implies additional issues that would be long to explain in this context.

• Can you share some example and your tips on how to take a particular picture?
    Of course, and always understanding that I do it as a mere amateur and far from being a professional.

For example, in this first photo, the sun gave full to the graffiti and I thought it was a good time to use the Pro Mode. Always keeping in mind, the histogram, I set the ISO to a value of 100 and the exposure speed to 1/2500s, leaving the rest of the parameters in the values that the camera applied by default. I think it is important to note that, once we take the photo, we can review it with the Details option. Here it is possible to visualize the parameters with which they were made and check if the histogram is suitable for proper exposure. This will let us know if the photo is correctly exposed and whether it has over or underexposure. Although we have it visible in the camera interface, it is always good to check it again in this way in case there has been any variation.
    1.jpeg

This second photo is made with the camera in Automatic, 48MP and UltraShot HDR enabled. As I mentioned before, being a night scene but with good lighting, it was not necessary to use the Nightscape camera. Logically, for this I had to try several times and decide which camera seemed to me to give a better result. After focusing the sign, I blocked the focus and started making several shots correcting the exposure compensation. Each of them checked them in the photo viewer, saw their details, checked not only the photo itself, but also saw whether the histogram was ok or not. And so, until I got one that I thought was satisfying. The result is a photo with an ISO 1000 and an exposure time of 1/50s.

2.jpeg

And this third photo is made with the Macro camera. I think I will have to talk to you about some elements I need to make these kinds of photos later. To say for the moment, that with the tests I have been doing with this camera, it is necessary very good lighting, otherwise I have seen that noise appears in them.

After putting the pencils in a and having them in the camera viewfinder, I started moving them back and forth, playing with them to take different positions and do it completely randomly. This one of the photos was the one I liked the most and I started with the camera settings. Focusing on different planes, seeing how many and how they were focused, following the same dynamics that indicated earlier about the visualization of the result, until you achieve the marked goal. In it I also applied the blocking of focus and the control of the exposure compensation that I spoke about. The result is a photo with an ISO 1000 and an exposure time of 1/50s.
    3.jpg
    • Do we need special gears?
    That is exactly what I just told you about. It is indeed necessary, or at least I need to use special gears. I use a mobile stand, a tripod and a torch depending on the scenes I am going to photograph.

With Nightscape, Macro and Pro mode for night photos, in my case the use of accessories is essential.

Thus, in Nightscape mode when there is low lighting, as it makes several shots in a row and the shooting time can be several seconds, as I do not use the stand and the tripod, the photograph will be quickly accelerated, unless you have a surgeon's pulse, which is not my case.

The same goes for the Professional camera in sky and star photography or long exposure, as you were told above. A stand and tripod are required.

And if we talk about the Macro camera, indoors I use a torch to get as much light as possible. In the photograph of the pencils, these are illuminated with the LED torch that I bought when I started taking photography of this type, some time ago with the previous models I had of OnePlus.

• If you have 3 tips to take the best pictures, what will they be?
    From the humility of a simple amateur and beyond purely technical subjects, I modestly believe that there are three essential advice.

First, look for the light. Light is the essence of photography, and if there is no light there is no photograph. Therefore, we must always seek light in all its possible ways.

Second, get as close to the object as possible. In mobile photography, given its architecture, we will not have the ease in SLR cameras to bring objects closer to us. At least to do it with quality. That's why I think it's critical to approach the scene. I think it was Frank Capra who said that if we took a picture that did not go well, it is because we didn't get close enough.

And third, never stop taking the picture. As I told you in the interview, one paradigm I have is that there is no worse picture than the one that is not made.

I think one problem we have today is that it is so easy to take a photo with our phones that we're forgetting the essence of photography. The photograph is not compulsively pressing the shutter button. It requires studying the scene, its composition, the light, etc.

Then, we must take care of the use of the different cameras depending on the object that you want to capture, that is, the technical part. There are thousands of free articles on the Web, and cheap books, that allow us to follow simple rules and learn how to use basic rules, namely when I should use one mode or another, block the focus or not, compensate for exposure, even how to take care of the framing or composition, among many other factors.

I think we should not forget that photography is an art and that if we want a photo to be good, they will not only be worth the "Likes" of social networks.

Now it is your turn to get creative at home and try out Pro mode and macro mode. Share your best shots on social media with #ShotonOnePlus and try to win the OnePlus Buds and an Explorer Backpack.

For more informations, go to #ShotonOnePlus

May the OnePlus be with you!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020

2. Cakepips
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 18, 2020

Cakepips , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Aug 18, 2020 :
    Bring on week 2! [e]263a[/e]️
    Definitely got some possible macros to show...
    Hopefully I can try more in pro mode. 🤞🏻 (There's going to be a few stars here in this one [e]1f609[/e])

edit: looks like I have close up telephotos but a few good macro ones. time to practice that supermacro...

edit2: Taken and posted on twitter... [e]263a[/e]️

edit3: Thanks for selecting mine as a top 10 for this weeks challenge! [e]263a[/e]️[e]2665[/e]️ (number 4)

3. JelleZon
    Lollipop Aug 18, 2020

4. Gio567full

Gio567full , Aug 18, 2020 :
    Wow amazing, it's nice to have a new chance, I'll try again hopefully well.
    @Vito B. Thanks, You are keeping me company even on my holiday:) , I hope you will like my shots

5. ALKHAFAJIMO
    Froyo Aug 18, 2020

6. Rizzy786
    Cupcake Aug 18, 2020

7. Rizzy786
    Cupcake Aug 18, 2020

Rizzy786 , Aug 18, 2020 :
    hey I have a question. is this the thread where we post our competition photo and that is it? because there is another link where it says 'submit link of photo from social media profile'. so I wasn't sure whether we need to post a link of this forum there too? or is this posting sufficient to enter the competition. thanks.

jlasensiofi likes this.
  8. Arnaud_Maxit
    Donut Aug 18, 2020

Attached Files:

9. valeian3
    Donut Aug 18, 2020

10. jlasensiofi
    KitKat Aug 18, 2020

jlasensiofi , Aug 18, 2020 :
    Thank you very much again for this new opportunity which allowed me to press the Pro mode and especially the Macro.

Great satisfaction and pride in working with you again 🙌😃

You are the best! 😍

#NeverSettle

11. JelleZon
    Lollipop Aug 18, 2020

JelleZon , Aug 18, 2020 :
    So how many shots can we submit? Because the website always tells me "only one entry" but I haven't uploaded one this week (just last week's contest)

@Vito B.

ShanjayDeep and Bouncer71 like this.
  12. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Community Expert Aug 18, 2020

Bouncer71 , Aug 18, 2020 :
    Isn't NightScape about shooting without gear...? ;)
    IMG_20200701_223907_001.jpg

Long Exposure, 15sec, ISO 3200, Tripod..
    IMG_20200709_235528_002.jpg

OP7Pro...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020

13. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Aug 18, 2020

TibiTibi , Aug 18, 2020 :
    Both pro and macro could open the mind to see the things in different light.

Laree, mchaw, script and 4 others like this.
  14. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Community Expert Aug 18, 2020

Bouncer71 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Aug 18, 2020 :
    Got no Macro without add-on lens on my OP devices though... ;)

Just crop... :D

15. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Aug 18, 2020

TibiTibi , Aug 18, 2020 :
    Macro lense and oneplus one with FV5

Low light mosquito.

Small crop
    _IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Freezing negative
    _IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020

mchaw, Starcommander, script and 5 others like this.
  16. Cakepips

Cakepips , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Aug 18, 2020 :
    Tbh I can only see ' up to 3 entries per day' so... Many as you want but as long as it's 3 entries per day? 🤷🏻‍♀️

(The link actually doesn't work for me. So if anyone who is having a similar problem, go to: https://www.oneplus.com/uk/event/shotononeplus )

17. JelleZon
    Lollipop Aug 18, 2020

JelleZon , Aug 18, 2020 :
    Seems like you have to use the link for your specific county

Well, still not able to submit an entry.
    It works from other devices like my laptop or another phone, but not on my 8 pro lol

Even though I did not submit anything besides last weeks contest :D
    Luckily it works on my PC, so it's fine
    Screenshot_20200819-004740~2.jpg

Cakepips likes this.
  18. Gio567full
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 19, 2020

Gio567full , Aug 19, 2020 :
    I have the some problem, only one link and i used it last week, so :(. How can i solve it?

19. Narenrs
    Cupcake Aug 19, 2020

a'aaaaaaaaa and jlasensiofi like this.