EU VAT Receipts

1. billq
    Jelly Bean Nov 10, 2015

billq , Nov 10, 2015 :
    And I would also consider, an inexpensive one, of ,personal phone . that a personal item tho I take his point .

geko95gek and tEf0o like this.
  2. nulldotzero
    Gingerbread Nov 10, 2015

nulldotzero , Nov 10, 2015 :
    They need to be registered as a company in UK in order to provide you with a VAT invoice. They are not, AFAIK. They are just using a warehouse there.

zaphod-beeblebrox likes this.
  3. tEf0o
    Jelly Bean Nov 10, 2015

tEf0o , Nov 10, 2015 :
    If i buy it to my company, i can deduct the vat from bought items against sold items.
    Thus one want a vat # as could save %20 here.

4. zaphod-beeblebrox
    KitKat Nov 10, 2015

zaphod-beeblebrox , Nov 10, 2015 :
    Well it is free to me, as I claim it back as an expense from my business. It is still a cost to my business. The phone becomes an assert to the business if I purchase it.

5. tEf0o
    Jelly Bean Nov 10, 2015

tEf0o , Nov 10, 2015 :
    And as sutch, there shuld be another +25% added on sold items (here), and the buyer will end up paying it if op don't have a company in eu.

6. tEf0o
    Jelly Bean Nov 10, 2015

tEf0o , Nov 10, 2015 :
    And its payed with untaxed money as running costs thats another 30% plus the vat 20%.
    So over 50% cheaper to do so.

7. Deactivated User
    Nov 10, 2015

8. Ian_P
    Jelly Bean Nov 10, 2015

Ian_P , Nov 10, 2015 :
    I think you need to complete a C285 form to reclaim for imported goods outside the EU (I could be wrong), however as VAT is paid at source by the clearing agent (in this case DHL i think, not OP), then the declaration is made to/by them and they are responsible for providing a VAT invoice.

The clearing agent should have as part of that declaration shown the VAT for the country; they (OP) also don't have to be VAT registered to do so as its done through a third party.

What I don't know is if OP ship in bulk to a DC before sending onwards (individually) to you, in which case it would be wholly difficult to recover the VAT for an individual item)

Try getting your shipping ref and asking DHL for an duty paid certificate/invoice

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015

rikardo1979 and nulldotzero like this.
  9. veratoloz2005
    Lollipop Nov 10, 2015

veratoloz2005 , Nov 10, 2015 :
    When I traveled to France, every retailer gave me a VAT receipt. These receipts could be presented in the airport on the way out, and I could be reimbursed. However, when I saw the line to the VAT Reimbursement Window, I gave up and left my VAT in France. Vive La France! Vive Nicolas Fouquet!:)

[​IMG]

10. IlCieco
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 10, 2015

IlCieco , Nov 10, 2015 :
    I remember they said that the differece between US end EU prices was because of taxes. US costumers pay X+taxes, EU pay Y>X because Y includes taxes.
    Now I suppose EU customers have the right to detract taxes if they can, since they've paid them within the product price.

11. zaphod-beeblebrox
    KitKat Nov 10, 2015

No, I dont think you can claim back VAT that you have not paid. Without a VAT invoice or VAT number for Oneplus there is no proof.

12. zaphod-beeblebrox
    KitKat Nov 10, 2015

Thanks for this. It saves me the job of contacting them. I guess that no VAT is paid then, so I cant really claim it back.:(

13. zaphod-beeblebrox
    KitKat Nov 10, 2015

I dont think we (EU consumers) are paying any taxes directly. I think Oneplus must be paying import duty to the country the device is shipped into the EU. As I understand it EU devices are first shipped into the UK before onward shipping to the EU destination. This, I think, would be a 20% payment by Oneplus to HMCE in the UK. We pay nothing. Oneplus are paying our import duty for us.
    Unfortunately I conclude that I can claim back import tax that has been paid. I cant actually recall anywhere that Oneplus have said that their purchase prices include VAT.

rarog likes this.
  14. geko95gek
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 10, 2015

geko95gek , Nov 10, 2015 :
    Cheer up mate.

You could always declare bankruptcy. ;)

15. zaphod-beeblebrox
    KitKat Nov 10, 2015

Surely DHL are only providing Oneplus a carrier service. I (as an EU consumer) have paid for a delivery service to Oneplus, and Oneplus have elected to deliver that service via DHL, so I havnt paid DHL anything, Oneplus has.
    I dont think VAT is paid at all by the EU consumer. Maybe this isnt necessary as Oneplus has paid the EU import duty for us? If so I cant claim back VAT, but I will look into the C285 form. Thanks.

geko95gek likes this.
  16. Ian_P
    Jelly Bean Nov 10, 2015

Ian_P , Nov 10, 2015 :
    They do, but if they also act as the clearing agent, then they technically (as i understand it) handle the import duty at source etc. No harm in trying DHL, worst case is you need to go back to OP.

I skipped through something here that touched on it. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-notice-702-imports/vat-notice-702-imports

17. nulldotzero
    Gingerbread Nov 10, 2015

nulldotzero , Nov 10, 2015 :
    I think you are mixing it up a little.
    Case A: You buy something from let's say USA. You don't pay VAT and is sent with DHL. When it comes to UK, DHL will handle the VAT for you and you will have to pay it along with a fee. In this case you can get a receipt.
    Case B: You buy a phone from Oneplus which already has the VAT in the price. OnePlus pays DHL to handle the VAT and takes the rest. You get an invoice without VAT.
    In case B, I doubt you can claim a receipt from DHL but it's worth a try.

rikardo1979 likes this.
  18. zaphod-beeblebrox
    KitKat Nov 10, 2015

I dont think VAT comes into it, as I believe Oneplus pays import duty. Only consumers pay VAT if applicable (it is a purchaser tax). I can only assume that it is not necessary to charge VAT as Oneplus has paid the import duty. As a consumer, I have no business relationship with DHL. DHL are just providing a delivery service for Oneplus.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015

19. zaphod-beeblebrox
    KitKat Nov 10, 2015

Just submitted my ticket.
    I asked.
    When I purchase goods from Oneplus in the EU, what tax is paid (VAT, import duty?) Am I liable for any additional taxes on EU purchases from Oneplus? If VAT is collected can Oneplus supply a VAT invoice enabling me to claim it back.
    I'll update when I get a response.

tEf0o likes this.
  20. billq
    Jelly Bean Nov 10, 2015

billq , Nov 10, 2015 :
    We will all wait now for a reply.from op in China who give no f**** about UK vat lol which is only just a tiny bit more than McDonald's and Starbucks do about paying tax here lol