Discussion Evolution of Mobile Photography

?

Which do you think is more necessary for OnePlus for a good Camera?

1. Good Hardware Lens

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. Good Software Lens

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. Right Mix of Both

47 vote(s)
    88.7%
  1. KaranRIyer
    KitKat Mar 12, 2021

KaranRIyer , Mar 12, 2021 :
    True. Both are necessary. But Pixel gives better photographs than iPhone.

Adarsh_1 and Dresa91 like this.
  2. rajatkapoorrk
    Gingerbread Mar 12, 2021

rajatkapoorrk , Mar 12, 2021 :
    Most smartphone manufacturers use same image sensor. So, it all comes down to the ISP and software optimization. Also nowadays correct implementation of AI can also significantly impact the end result.

KaranRIyer likes this.
  3. ser_sisodiya
    Froyo Mar 13, 2021

KaranRIyer likes this.
  4. NaratisT
    Eclair Mar 13, 2021

NaratisT , via OnePlus 8T , Mar 13, 2021 :
    Software software software. With good software (like photoshop) I can take a muddy looking picture with bad color accuracy and make it look like it was shot professionally, and increase the detail in the shot to a certain extent. The tricky part would be to get the phone to do as much of the work as possible, but good software without good hardware can look good. Good hardware without good software I would say not as good.

KaranRIyer likes this.
  5. KaranRIyer
    KitKat Mar 13, 2021

KaranRIyer , Mar 13, 2021 :
    Yes true but hardware should also be capable.

Thanks mate

Not always with limitations from hardware perspective your capturing image quality will be limited. A right balance will be the best.

otto2, Dresa91 and NaratisT like this.

6. KaranRIyer likes this.
  7. shantanu gondane
    Cupcake Mar 13, 2021

8. NaratisT
    Eclair Mar 13, 2021

Thing is, I could create very interesting photography with very bad hardware. People have made it popular with sony vx1000, nintendo's DS, even gameboys. While I agree that both are needed for high quality- or fidelity rather- photography, most companies in the smartphone market have access to the same or similar sensors, and especially in low end or older phones software has always been the biggest deciding factor, how smooth or sharp the result looks, the color accuracy, and now more than ever the night time or dark mode capabilities. Raw pixel count won't make a difference without the software to back it up (although larger sensors do help with night mode)

otto2 and KaranRIyer like this.
  9. KaranRIyer
    KitKat Mar 13, 2021

I would like to quote my other senior member who seems to be more knowledgeable than me in this topic as @otto2 says in the below quote. The Main factor is always the person behind the lens. Hes right

otto2 and Dresa91 like this.
  10. otto2
    Photography Expert Mar 13, 2021

otto2 , Mar 13, 2021 :
    Not really : Old graphic designer s teach: "Garbage in-garbage out"
    yes, you can edit a lot, but the soul, the really important part of the original shot, which transfers the creativity, the feelings, will get lost-if it was even there.
    Photography is not just clicking a picture. It s an art to transfer a specific feeling to the viewers. Editing might help a bit, but at some point picture will look over processed and dead. As better the original shoot is, as better the outcome will be.

NaratisT, Dresa91 and KaranRIyer like this.
  11. KaranRIyer
    KitKat Mar 13, 2021

Yes user demands the camera performance should also be at par with flagships. Also MP is always not the main factor

Thank you mate 👍🤗

Dresa91 and otto2 like this.
  12. KaranRIyer
    KitKat Mar 13, 2021

So much insight. I knew tagging you will bring wonderful answers thank you 🤗

Dresa91 and otto2 like this.
  13. otto2
    Photography Expert Mar 13, 2021

otto2 , Mar 13, 2021 :
    I agree with you, but at the raw point I think, it s more than important for the users, who prefer pro mode and raw to get a honest picture without any AI beauty /scene recognition /HDR "help". This users will love the 12 bit.

NaratisT, Dresa91 and KaranRIyer like this.
  14. NaratisT
    Eclair Mar 13, 2021

It will still be processed either way, I'm not sure how much of a difference 12 bit will make at least for now*, pro mode is always a plus in my book and I actually also prefer nicer true to life photos rather than her, but I disagree to some extent on garbage in garbage out. It makes more sense to me when dealing with computer science and/or mathematics but much less so with photography, videography and the general arts. Good software with/without editing won't result in over-processed looking images or else the software and/or editing was not actually good. What stays the same is the framing, light capabilities, angle capabilities, ie. how wide you can shoot, how close or fast before you lose focus and detail, etc.

I think for that reason my point still stands. Working with restrictions is an artistic challenge, but more than that the overarching thought process I had was that most people would actually prefer a mediocre sensor with great image processing to a great sensor with mediocre image processing.

Also I think that the typical use case is more snap a pic on the go, record a live on insta or tiktok etc. For those use cases better color reproduction and generally brighter images and videos tend to be more favored (at least from testing I've seen such as mkbhd's smart phone camera comparison for example). For those and in general when you're dealing with compression having clean lines and solid colors does more talking.

*Since most content online is still 8-10 bit both in terms of files and displays, so the extra information would likely be more useful in software adjusting for overexposed or underexposed areas.

Sorry for the long read but I love discussions like these and I think there's a lot of points to touch upon!

otto2, KaranRIyer and Dresa91 like this.
  15. KaranRIyer
    KitKat Mar 13, 2021

i can tag 3 more members if you want more discussion but theres always photography threads where beautiful explanation is provided. You can navigate from below threads if you are interested.
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/tutorials-index-mega-thread.1038631/
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/basic-guide-to-manual-camera-settings.465290/
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/a-practical-guide-to-pro-mode.118796/

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021

otto2, Dresa91 and NaratisT like this.
  16. NaratisT
    Eclair Mar 13, 2021

I'm already familiar with those but thanks!

otto2, Dresa91 and KaranRIyer like this.
  17. R. Stha
    Cupcake Mar 13, 2021

18. V1613395080433
    Cupcake Mar 13, 2021

19. KaranRIyer
    KitKat Mar 13, 2021

otto2 and Dresa91 like this.