[Extensive and image heavy] Italy through the eyes of a Oneplus One.

1. LifelessLewis
    Jelly Bean Jul 17, 2015

LifelessLewis , Jul 17, 2015 :
    TL;DR:- Went to Italy, took some pictures.

Hey guys, some of you know what I've been up to recently but most of you won't so I'll just start by saying hey and that this is going to be a long read (tl;dr above), image heavy and basically a (late) review of the Oneplus One / OxygenOS / Google camera and of my recent travels in Italy! As a brief summary I spent 18 days travelling (not backpacking) from northern Italy to southern Italy with my girlfriend to celebrate finishing University this year (2015). Starting in Venice and onto Florence, Pisa, Rome and then finishing up in Naples. I'll put all the pictures into spoilers so that it hopefully helps with the page loading time.

After finishing my photography degree I wanted to chronicle the journey in an easy way just with my One and not go all pro on a DSLR, that was my girlfriend's job ;)

There will be some extra pics in here that were taken on a canon 6D for various reasons but I'll make it clear which ones :)

Throwing some requested tags in :) @Takendown @vivek289

So without further ado, onto the images!

I started out by taking some pictures from the plane window while we were flying over the Alps. I'd say that these are decent because the window was a bit scratched and not the clearest of windows.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see the images are pretty good, not great but still pretty good to say they were taken through a plastic window and about 1000-2000 feet of air. Not much else to say about this other than the flight wasn't too bad :)

In the words of the great Indiana Jones "Ahhh Venice."

Venice was beautiful, it was only busy near the train station and around the Basilica di San Marco. Walking around all of the little streets was great and very relaxing. It was a bit hot and sweaty but I really enjoyed just walking, much better than dealing with the massively crowded tourist areas.

[​IMG]
    This is pretty much what you see when you come out of the train station.

[​IMG]
    Gondolas!

[​IMG]
    Lovely little canals everywhere.

[​IMG]
    The buildings looked really old but really nice at the same time.

[​IMG]
    This one was to test the tonal range and how it handles bright and dark in the same picture, I think it worked pretty good!

[​IMG]
    Testing low light in a church, again it worked quite good and I'll go in more detail later on in the thread.

[​IMG]
    Beautiful colours in this, the water was quite green but the reflection of the sky made it look really blue.

[​IMG]
    More gondolas! This time with people.

[​IMG]
    Gondola captain (not sure if that's the right word haha) chilling.

[​IMG]
    A kitty that wouldn't stay still and let me get a good picture :p

[​IMG]
    More canals and beautiful buildings.

[​IMG]
    This was a really quiet street with great reflections in the water.

[​IMG]
    View across to one of the other islands.

[​IMG]
    Decent sunset from one of the main bridges.

[​IMG]
    Awesome looking lamppost and an awesome looking cloud with the moon.

[​IMG]
    Awesome looking lamppost and an awesome looking cloud with the moon after the lights came on.

I didn't get any of the Basilica di San Marco on my One because there were way too many people in the way and I was busy getting some of them on a film camera :)

[​IMG]
    Halfway to Florence! And it's not a bad picture to say it's through a train window!

And thus ends my stay in Venice. I'll be going into detail on some images and doing comparisons later on in the thread :)

Click for more photos from Venice.

Guys this is a work in progress and my laptop might as well have a potato for a CPU it's that slow so bear with me over the next few days while I get the thread finished :)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015

2. LifelessLewis
    Jelly Bean Jul 17, 2015

Florence is the next stop on my Italian adventure. What I didn't realise was how few pavements (sidewalks if you're American) that there would be. It was a little tricky to walk anywhere with the massive suitcase that I had, but I managed it and got some great pictures while I was there. It was hotter than Venice but it was still beautiful.

[​IMG]
    The beautiful Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore was our first stop and while we still had energy we decided to go up to the top of the dome! The queue was in the shade and the building was stunning so I didn't mind waiting 20 minutes to get in :)

[​IMG]
    Stunning views from the top after 460 something stairs... Giotto's Campanile, the rest of the Cathedral and great views of the city.

[​IMG]
    The city with the Tuscan countryside in the background.

[​IMG]
    Back down the stairs and into another queue :rolleyes: this time for entrance into the Cathedral. Thought I'd take a shot of the dome from below.

[​IMG]
    It was real dark in there but the stained glass looked good.

[​IMG]
    So did the inside of the dome. I haven't done any research but from what I can see it looks as though it's depicting the rapture. Not the best picture but it was quite dark and crowded.

[​IMG]
    Giotto's Campanile from the queue.

[​IMG]
    The beautiful green and white marble cathedral wall again while still queuing.

[​IMG]
    There are three levels in Giotto's Campanile before the top which were much needed during the 416 stair climb, especially after just climbing up the dome! View of the dome from the first stop about half way up.

[​IMG]
    View of the city from the first stop.

[​IMG]
    A view through the floor of the first level from the third.

[​IMG]
    The dome and city from the very top of the Campanile.

[​IMG]
    Another stunning view of the city and the Tuscan hills from the top of the Campanile.

[​IMG]
    The magnificent front of the Basilica, I couldn't even fit it all in it was that big!

[​IMG]
    Went around a garden after another museum and it has some nice sculptures. This is bigger than it looks, check out the guy just in the bottom right corner for a sense of scale.

[​IMG]
    Nice views from the garden too.

Click for more photos from Florence.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015

3. LifelessLewis
    Jelly Bean Jul 17, 2015

While in Florence we wanted to go to at least one of the main galleries, the Uffizi or the Galleria dell'Accademia. We decided to go to the Uffizi first and then maybe go to the Accademia. There was lots of great art in there and it was a little dark (as it was in most of the galleries actually) so I decided not to bother taking pictures with my One so that I could spend more time actually looking at the pieces in person. We took lots of pictures on a Canon 6d because it was easier and people moved out of the way more if you had a massive camera haha. So all of the images in this spoiler are not taken on the One, instead they are taken on a Canon 6d.
    Images in preparation.

4. LifelessLewis
    Jelly Bean Jul 17, 2015

You can't go to Tuscany without visiting the iconic Leaning Tower of Pisa so that's where we headed next! It was totally different to Florence and it wasn't a big city with loads of buildings which was what I was expecting. It was a lot smaller and sub-urban so it was a nice change of pace from the busy city. These pictures are again taken with the Oneplus One.

[​IMG]
    Picture of the leaning tower from the queue, not sure why it has a halo, I think the sun was behind it haha.

[​IMG]
    Great views from the top of the tower. It was a bit tricky to walk up it because of the leaning and the worn down slippery marble stairs haha. But it was totally worth it. Scaffolding was annoying but there wasn't too much.

[​IMG]
    Another view from the other side of the tower.

[​IMG]
    After the tower we went into the Baptistery and got a perfect view of the cathedral from the upper level. Note the tower just peaking out over the side of it.

[​IMG]
    After the Baptistery we went to the Camposanto Monumentale. Basically it's an old graveyard which I believe is still is still in use due to some recent dates on the floor gravestones.

[​IMG]
    Some great sculptures and monuments in here.

[​IMG]
    A rather fancy sarcophagus.

[​IMG]
    One of the more important floor gravestones.

[​IMG]
    More great sculptures.

[​IMG]
    And another carving with a traditional cameo at the top.

[​IMG]
    The Baptistery just after sunset.

Click for more photos from Pisa.

5. LifelessLewis
    Jelly Bean Jul 17, 2015

After Pisa we were then on our way to Rome. Rome was an obvious stop on our trip for the Colosseum and the Vatican. They were both rather crowded but they were both totally worth the waiting to get in.

[​IMG]
    The Forums of Augustus with the Colloseum in the background.

[​IMG]
    A funky fountain. Not the Trevi as that is undergoing restoration and has been for a while now.

[​IMG]
    A nice mosaic on display at the Colosseum.

[​IMG]
    And here it is, the Colosseum! Or if you want the original Latin name Amphitheatrum Flavium, named after the three emperors of the Flavian Dynasty.

[​IMG]
    A good view of the underground part of the Colosseum here.

[​IMG]
    The nearby arch and the queue which, thankfully, wasn't that long when we were in it!

[​IMG]
    After the Colosseum we went to walk around Palatine hill to look at the old roman buildings.

[​IMG]
    There are some really great views of the buildings from below and above.

[​IMG]
    I think this was The Baths of Augustus if I remember correctly. It's impressive now but I can only imagine how it would've looked back in ancient rome!

[​IMG]
    The side of The Baths of Augustus, possibly the entrance.

[​IMG]
    The massive Forum Romanum seen from Palatine Hill. Just imagine this place bustling with market shops and people back in the day.

[​IMG]
    I don't know what all the individual buildings were used for but they were all impressive.

The Musei Vaticani was our next stop and oh my was it busy, we got there kinda early as well and we were still in the museum queue for an hour and half! Sorry in advance for any slightly worse quality pictures here, it was quite dark in museum so the ISO was making a lot of grain, and there was almost no room to move because of all the people. Also we couldn't use flash.

[​IMG]
    There were some more great sculptures in there though.

[​IMG]
    This is a very fancy sarcophagus and lid, it looked awesome.

[​IMG]
    There were some pretty good frescos on the ceilings in the museum.

[​IMG]
    A very fancy hallway roof with tapestries along the walls.

[​IMG]
    And here it is, The Sistine Chapel! I had to be sneaky to get this because we weren't supposed to take pictures in there but I really wanted one. That's why it's not so perfect haha. Note, I didn't take the picture to be disrespectful to the rules and religion but I believe that great art should be shared. They also sell postcards of it so they must've taken pictures themselves haha.

[​IMG]
    One last fancy fresco from Rome.

[​IMG]
    St. Paul's. We didn't go inside St. Paul's Cathedral because we had seen a lot of churches and the queue started about another picture length off of right side of the image. it was already about three O'clock and it would've taken hours to queue.

[​IMG]
    Instead I took a little time to get a picture of the fountain and the obelisk. See the queue for St. Paul's in the background :eek:

6. LifelessLewis
    Jelly Bean Jul 17, 2015

After visiting the main tourist attractions in Rome we decided to go off the beaten track and after a little research we found out about a quiet graveyard called The Protestant Cemetery of Rome. It sounded beautiful so we went to check it out. And there's an even spookier surprise in store!

[​IMG]
    This was a large pyramid seen from the outside of the graveyard, I do not know who are what it is a monument to but it's quite big.

[​IMG]
    Inside we found a very crowded graveyard with some amazing tombstones.

[​IMG]
    The graveyard wasn't specifically for any religion, it was for everybody no matter their background and is the resting place for many people from all different walks of life.

[​IMG]
    Really beautiful gravestones and everything was very well kept.

[​IMG]
    Not all of the gravestones were generic, in fact most of them were unique in their own sense.

[​IMG]
    Possibly the only coloured one there and it really stood out.

[​IMG]
    There were some which were more simple and then there were very elaborate ones too.

[​IMG]
    A few of them had fresh flowers.

[​IMG]
    There were quite a few cats living in the graveyard and I believe that the caretaker's house them there to help keep birds and lizards away so they don't mess up the place. Couldn't get a picture of any though because they kept moving around haha.

[​IMG]
    Quite a large and fancy monument, one of the many.

[​IMG]
    Quite a modern one here. It stood out among the more traditional gravestones.

[​IMG]
    As you can see there were quite a few. They had a donation box that went towards the upkeep of the grounds and they even had another one specifically for the cats which I thought was a great idea.

Capuchin Crypt was something else different to the usual tourist stuff but it was as high on our list of things to do as the Colosseum.More detail in the spoiler but some may find it unnerving as there are human skeletons and bodies involved. It is fascinating though and I recommend you to click the spoiler and deal with it :p it's not really that bad, I'm just taking precautions :)

The Capuchin Crypt is at the end of a museum which is underneath a church. The crypt itself consists of a single hallway with six different rooms to look into. These six rooms have different displays depicting religious references and the journey from life to death. Five of the displays are made up entirely out of human bones and skeletons/bodies. One of them is a simple small chapel devoid of bones and is used to prayer. Some of the displays even had the skeletons of young children as a part of them.

[​IMG]
    Photography was not allowed but I really wanted a photograph, so as to not be disrespectful to the some three thousand people who were displayed there, we bought a postcard from the shop at the end of the museum and took a picture of that. Note that the body on the right still has all of it's skin

Even though photography isn't allowed for visitors there is an abundance of images on the internet so if you want to see more here are some random internet images of the Crypt. And if you want more information about the crypt this link gives some simple but good info on the Capuchin Crypt.

[​IMG]
    We decided go back to the colosseum at night and try get a few pictures of it lit up. This was very tricky with the One because it was really dark but I found a bin that I could rest it on which eliminated the camera shake. Not even OIS could've helped here haha.

[​IMG]
    Another night time shot from a slightly different angle. Due to the very high ISO there's a lot of detail lost to the grain and I could've gotten a better picture with more control, but I was doing this to showcase what google camera can do. Besides, my girlfriend was there with her 6d for that ;)

Click for photos from Rome.

7. LifelessLewis
    Jelly Bean Jul 17, 2015

Last stop on our Italian journey was Naples. We weren't really bothered about the city of Naples, we wanted to go and see the ancient city of Pompeii and hopefully go up Mt. Vesuvius.

After visiting the Capuchin Crypt and finding it fascinating we decided to do something similar as our first foray into the Neapolitan culture. The Cimitero Delle Fontanelle was our first stop
    Once again I'll say it, some may find it unnerving as there are human skeletons and bodies involved. Again it's fascinating and I recommend you to click the spoiler and deal with it :p it's still not really that bad, I'm just taking more precautions :)

The Cimitero Delle Fontanelle is similar to the Capuchin Crypt in the sense that there are human remains on display for anybody to look at. And I really do mean anybody, since this is a cemetery there is no entrance fee like there was to the Capuchin museum and Crypt, you just walk in and photographs aren't even prohibited.

Again it was very dark so ISO destroyed a bit of detail and there is some camera shake in a few images.

[​IMG]
    Unlike the Capuchin Crypt the bones were not arranged into a display, they were just (mostly) neatly lining the edges of the cave walls. They weren't as well kept as the Crypt either but I think that the idea was it would be left natural.

[​IMG]
    There were a lot of tokens along with the bones and lit candles. It was obvious that the Cemetery is still in use for mourning.

[​IMG]
    The most difficult picture to get because I couldn't rest my phone on something. It's a doorway surrounded by what appeared to be leg bones with skulls on the top. It wasn't a doorway leading anywhere but there appeared to be an empty sarcophagus or something similar stood up where a doorway would be.

[​IMG]
    More skulls and cases of skulls.

[​IMG]
    A few more skulls with some candles.

Sorry for the spoilerception but this next one is a bit worse than the others and might be upsetting to some.

[​IMG]
    A child's skeleton, judging by the size I would've said about five to six years old. There were more throughout the cemetery but none like this one. Lots of offerings presumably from people who knew the child and people who just wanted to pay their respects. There were a couple of women who appeared to be mourning somewhere else in the cave but they kept coming back here to wind up a music box for the child. It made the place a lot more creepy because it sounded like a horror film but it was nice to see them doing that to pay their respects.

[​IMG]
    There were a few flowers scattered around which was incredibly poetic.

[​IMG]
    A closeup of s few skulls and bones.

[​IMG]
    For a sense of scale, the whole cave. There must've been thousands of people in there.

Now onto the rest of naples.

[​IMG]
    First we went to a smallish museum/gallery which had some mosaics from Pompeii and the other archaeological sites.

[​IMG]
    The was also a room full of erotic (mostly penis related) stuff because they saw them as symbol of prosperity and life. So here is a box with lots of terracotta penis's (penii?). It was a bit peculiar.

[​IMG]
    Here it is, the first image from the ruins of ancient Pompeii.

[​IMG]
    A big vase among some walls.

[​IMG]
    Part of a square which was probably used as a marketplace by the looks of it.

Again this spoiler contains images that some might find upsetting, they aren't as bad as the images from the Capuchin Crypt or the Cimitero di Fontanelle. The images contain the remains of living things. Just a precaution though as it might be upsetting to some. If you know about Pompeii you'll already know what's coming, and it's really not that bad.

[​IMG]
    Lots more vases in storage along with the petrified dog. I don't know if it's a plaster cast or the original.

[​IMG]
    More vases but this time with a font/birdbath/sink and a petrified person, Again it could be a cast or the original.

[​IMG]
    Even more vases and sinks of some kind. This time however there is a young petrified child in the middle. Judging by the size this child was probably only four years old when Pompeii was obliterated. Again it could be a cast of the original.

[​IMG]
    Near the end of our journey through Pompeii there was a small exhibition with a lot of petrified bodies in the centre. These are more likely to be casts than the three above as these were out in the open and not in storage like they were. The different poses show a glimpse into the terror they must have felt during the devastation. Some look as though they are praying while others appear to be bracing, while others look relaxed and preparing for the inevitable.

8. LifelessLewis
    Jelly Bean Jul 17, 2015

Back to the Ruins now!

[​IMG]
    I believe this was somebody's garden/ courtyard in ancient Pompeii.

[​IMG]
    Some paintings on a wall, I'm not sure if these are restored or if the ash just preserved them that well.

[​IMG]
    Even more ruins.

[​IMG]
    Another painting on a wall, incredibly detailed for something that went through a cloud of searing hot volcanic ash and two millennia.

[​IMG]
    Someone else's courtyard.

[​IMG]
    More columns but again I'm not sure what the were for.

[​IMG]
    The ancient Pompeian amphitheatre.

[​IMG]
    Inside the amphitheatre, a lot smaller than the colosseum but still pretty big.

[​IMG]
    After Pompeii it was only natural to follow the history and go up Mt. Vesuvius.

[​IMG]
    Some really stunning views from almost 1400 ft above sea level.

[​IMG]
    The pathway which formed from a previous lava flow.

[​IMG]
    At the top now, this is a view of part of the crater.

[​IMG]
    Really beautiful, the clouds rolling over the mountain and sinking into the crater.

[​IMG]
    Another lava flow path which was this time much bigger and you can see where they have braced the earth from slipping further.

[​IMG]
    Into the crater, I had to stand on a fence to get far enough above to get this shot. It's about 400 feet deep I think. And there must be lots of nutrients from the volcano down there, just look at that vegetation.

[​IMG]
    The other side of the crater was very steep.

[​IMG]
    More clouds coming in, they were really refreshing when you went through them.

[​IMG]
    A view down the side of the volcano. You can just about see parts of the road which the bus to the top drive on.

[​IMG]
    And now for the last picture. A view of Vesuvius from the aeroplane during take-off back to England. It was a bit hazy outside but it was clear enough to see the volcano.

Even though that's the last photo don't worry there is still plenty more to this thread. And I've saved the best till last. A selfie up the volcano!

[​IMG]
    Don't mind my hair, the heat melted the wax a bit :p

Click for more photos of Naples.

Just kidding that wasn't the best bit, that's coming now!

Photospheres!

During the course of the holiday I took multiple Photospheres and what I like to call Photosemispheres (not a full 360 degree photosphere but still works the same). I did this mostly to test out how well it worked but mostly because of one thing. The Oneplus Cardboard. I knew I'd be getting one if I could so I thought I'd prepare for it as something do with the cardboard but also for you guys! Just click the link above and if you have a VR headset then you can download them onto your phone and the cardboard app should find them automatically! If you don't have a VR headset then you can just look at them online or download them and look at them with the Google Photos app.

Some worked really well whereas others didn't work quite as good. Indoors was a little dark so parts of them can be blurry and some aren't stitched perfectly. But for the most part they worked awesomely and it's really cool to use the cardboard to view them.

I'd highly recommend all of the places I visited but if you ever plan to visit Pompeii or Vesuvius then be aware that Naples isn't the nicest of cities. There are lots, and I do mean lots, of pickpockets about both on the streets and on the public transport. People tried to pickpocket me but I was too smart for them and caught them ;) The city itself also isn't the cleanest and there are quite a few porn clubs and hookers about, (although some may say thats good thing...). The pizza was by far the best there though, and the cheapest.

9. LifelessLewis
    Jelly Bean Jul 17, 2015

Ok so that's my journey through Italy and I hope you liked the pictures! Now I'm going to do a kind of review of the camera and Google camera with OxygenOS.

I'm going to start with the things I noticed first and move through the holiday to the things I noticed last.

First of I'll talk about the lens. The very first thing I noticed is that it has a reasonably wide angle lens setup, equivalent to a focal length of 30mm. Which isn't a bad thing because you can fit a lot more into the pictures. Most of the time the distortion from the wide angle wasn't so much of a problem, it only made the buildings appear to be leaning backwards but that's unavoidable without a highly specialised tilt-shift lens. However on certain pictures I noticed that things looked a little odd.

Take this guy for example.
    [​IMG]
    This is a screenshot of a 100% crop of the very bottom of a portrait image. The lens distortion almost makes it look like he is painted onto the gondola haha. This is just an observation though and every phone camera will do this if it is wide angle.

Something which I thought was great was the ISO, when it was at 100 (which was a lot of the time because of the sun) there was very little detail lost to the noise.

[​IMG]
    This is a screenshot of a 100% crop near the center of an image. As you can see there is a lot of detail in there, and the brightness definitely helps.

[​IMG]
    Again this is a screenshot of a 100% crop near the center of an image. With the manual exposure controls on Google camera I could control the settings a little bit and from what I gather it changed the ISO while keeping a high enough shutter speed. When set to -2 you can take images with an ISO of 100 at dusk and get some great quality images. the lamppost has a sharp edge and there is even detail in the moon. And to top it off there is only minimal noise in the sky.

Sticking with ISO for now, it's quite the opposite when it gets high.

[​IMG]
    This is a screenshot of a 100% crop with an ISO of 4100, which is very high for such a tiny sensor. The image itself is focussed but because of the incredible amount of noise it looks pretty bad. Most (all?) phone camera sensors won't be able to handle ISO speeds that quick anyway so it's not just limited to the One. OIS and a bigger aperture wouldn't have done much to help here because it was just too dark.

Something that was kind of my fault but it could be easily prevented by Oneplus.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I kept getting my finger in the way haha. I found that the camera was just a bit too close to the edge of the phone and that if they had designed it with the camera where the flash is then it would've been that little better. Then again it could just be me holding it like weirdo.

Another thing that I really liked about the camera was the tonal range. It was really good and managed to capture bright highlights and dark shadows. Obviously the built in HDR option drastically enhanced this and I'll talk more about HDR later on.

[​IMG]
    Once again, screenshot of a 100% crop. I took the colour out of this image to not distract from the tonal range, I didn't touch anything else like the contrast or clarity. I used the HDR option when taking the image and it really works wonders to get a great tonal range.

Just take a look at the histogram for the whole image.
    [​IMG]
    For those who know nothing about histograms, this is very good.

More to come!

10. LifelessLewis
    Jelly Bean Jul 17, 2015

11. volteon
    Lollipop Jul 17, 2015

12. LifelessLewis
    Jelly Bean Jul 17, 2015

SoniaB, Takendown, meatandy and 3 others like this.
  13. Hunterg54
    Honeycomb Jul 17, 2015

14. LifelessLewis
    Jelly Bean Jul 17, 2015

It really was, there'll be more pictures and an in-depth look at the picture's quality coming up so stay tuned!

meatandy, Master Hand and Ceasedd like this.
  15. Ceasedd
    Marshmallow Jul 17, 2015

Ceasedd , Jul 17, 2015 :
    Absolutely stunning.:)*you got a life BTW ;)*

16. LifelessLewis
    Jelly Bean Jul 17, 2015

meatandy, Master Hand and Ceasedd like this.
  17. Ceasedd
    Marshmallow Jul 17, 2015

18. juansolis274
    Eclair Jul 17, 2015

19. Ceasedd
    Marshmallow Jul 17, 2015

20. Linanc7
    Lollipop Jul 17, 2015

Linanc7 , Jul 17, 2015 :
    These are just beautiful and I can't wait to see the second installment :). Many thanks for sharing

SoniaB, The1Lion and Master Hand like this.