Extremely poor RAM management on OnePlus 7 via OnePlus 7

1. Sandy9678
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 19, 2020

Sandy9678 , via OnePlus 7 , Jan 19, 2020 :
    Worst performance ever from a 30K phone which is sold as 6 GB RAM. It says 4.4 GB of RAM is being used, what for?? It cant even keep its own phone and messaging apps in the background, forget about third party apps. I feel ashamed to use this phone in front of my friends who own even MI phones. Disappointed.
    1579456133850.jpg

2. Xiaobin_Lu
    Froyo Jan 19, 2020

3. Sandy9678

6G??

5. Sandy9678

SHIVAM97MANGLA likes this.
  6. Xiaobin_Lu , via OnePlus 7 Pro Mirror Gray , Jan 19, 2020 :
    lol that because OnePlus doesn't knwo how to optimize ram management so simple more ram is the fix. check my older posts. my 6G ram 6T is a total shit from a year ago. I mean total shit shit shit shit. it hasn't been fix yet for 6G ram device now. I now own 8G ram 7 pro during the sale for 550.
    it functions like a normal phone. you would think 6G much be plenty for smart phones. not for shitty OnePlus phone.
    never get a 6G ram phone with OnePlus. I won't personally buy OnePlus anymore since I have other problems with OnePlus phones. they just suck as a basic smartphone.

7. Sandy9678

Man, this will be my last OnePlus device. Goodbye OnePlus.

8. Xiaobin_Lu , via OnePlus 7 Pro Mirror Gray , Jan 19, 2020 :
    just check other ram management posts just down below. people complaining are all 6G ram devices.

it's not they not optimize it but they optimize to save battery and prematurely kill you background app. OnePlus never acknowledge the aggressive ram management (They sort of did Sept 2019 ) but never gonna fix them in short term. they just stop selling 6G ram devices. I can't believe they put 6G ram 7 pros on clearance just to get rid of leftover.

I totally understand your situation. smartphone not being smart anymore on OnePlus devices. try root and custom ROM. hardware wise I like the design. but I hate the software experience. and they pushing out more and more devices each year. they won't be able to keep up reliable software updates.

I'm jumping to apple if they have 120Hz pro motion or Samsung devices.(120Hz confirmed.)

9. Sykora
    Froyo Jan 19, 2020

Sykora , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Jan 19, 2020 :
    Just a few things for clarification.

1. Android is not Windows. Android tries to use as much RAM as possible to ensure fast app starting and things like that. So even with 12GB RAM you would see that evrytime more than 50% is used. I don't have any apps open and my 8GB RAM are used by 60%. So with Android, the more RAM it uses the better it is. If it need RAM because you open many apps then it will free up RAM so you can use your apps. Don't look at how much RAM is being used because it's always more than 50% which is very good for Andoird.

2. It's not true that when you use more RAM, more battery is consumed. That's just false. People who always close all apps won't get more battery.

3. RAM Management of OnePlus is - like you said - bullshit. They kill background apps very aggressive and nobody knows why. On my 7 Pro (8GB RAM) it's getting a little bit better. I can have my apps open for like 3-4 hours before they are killed. But they are getting killed in the background. Which is sad, because you DON'T save battery when you kill apps.

10. Sheppards
    Gingerbread Jan 19, 2020

Sheppards , Jan 19, 2020 :
    The Android OS uses system ram to cache apps, data and processes. Unused RAM is wasted RAM

Try the battery optimization settings set to NOT optimized for your apps

B1566654975115, arkreddy and Roger.T like this.
  11. Xiaobin_Lu , via OnePlus 7 Pro Mirror Gray , Jan 19, 2020 :
    you are like every OnePlus fanboys.... unused ram is wasted ram. no need to explain this. and you cant set optimization for phones and Gmail's built in apps. no need to defend what is FACTs. I'm sure he is not dumbass who need your explanation and I'm sure he must have googled and tried out some fixes.
    I'm just really sick of "unused ram is wasted ram" comments. not solving anything.

12. FlixbusLennart
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Jan 20, 2020

FlixbusLennart , Jan 20, 2020 :
    Chill smart boy

Sykora likes this.
  13. Sheppards
    Gingerbread Jan 20, 2020

Sheppards , Jan 20, 2020 :
    believe it or not, majority of these threads are created by ignorant people. sorry but when reading these topics, I always assume that the people created them is new to Android phones.

Like people complaining about artificial light flickering in slow motion, or notifications not working because they themselves disabled them, or how about the endless, or trying to capture slow motion videos at night, or my favourite, enabling DC dimming and then complaining about bad color accuracy at low brightness levels.

Sykora and arkreddy like this.
  14. arkreddy
    Froyo Jan 20, 2020

arkreddy , via OnePlus 7 , Jan 20, 2020 :
    no need to call "dumnass". But this is coming from a man calling 6gb as 6G

sudhakar0208 and Sandy9678 like this.
  15. Sandy9678
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 20, 2020

Sandy9678 , via OnePlus 7 , Jan 20, 2020 :
    I can only dream of keeping apps for 3-4 hours in the background. It's just a dream..

16. Sandy9678

I've kept in on "intelligent control" for all apps, don't u think keeping on 'dont optimize' will reduce battery performance?

17. Sandy9678

There's nothing a common person can do about this. He can only regret for buying an OnePlus.

18. Sandy9678

Lol all these are completely different from poor RAM management. That's a basic thing a phone is supposed to do, at least a 6 GB phone.

19. Xiaobin_Lu , via OnePlus 7 Pro Mirror Gray , Jan 20, 2020 :
    try set them to not optimize first. but I'm sure it won't help too much. and intelligent control should be doing what a smartphone should be doing. instead of being dumb phone. I'm sick of dealing with stupid *** in the threads so I'll just ignore those asses who think they know everything about android and educate you. I'm way past that a year and half ago when my stupid 6G ram 6T already. (Can't believe people doubt I misuse 6G as for 5G stuff. they don't know the contexts and just read words as words. )

sorry about all this..this is just how OnePlus community fanboys are. defending and educating people. I'll just ignore. my advice is root and use custom ROM. or never buy 6g ram OnePlus devices ( they don't sell it anymore.... ) .