extremely slow charging

1. dart7
    Donut Nov 25, 2020

dart7 , Nov 25, 2020 :
    Hello
    I'm experiencing extremely slow charging of 8t with ordinary 5V/2.4A charger.
    Ampere shows 340 - 450 mA, it takes ages to fully recharge. Tried two different chargers and cables and result is the same.
    In comparison, I tried these chargers with my old OP6. Charging speed is around 1.4 A.

Anyone experienced same problem?

2. dart7
    Donut Nov 25, 2020

dart7 , Nov 25, 2020 :
    Hello
    I'm experiencing extremely slow charging of 8t with ordinary 5V/2.4A charger.
    Ampere shows 340 - 450 mA, it takes ages to fully recharge. Tried two different chargers and cables and result is the same.
    In comparison, I tried these chargers with my old OP6. Charging speed is around 1.4 A.

Anyone experienced same problem?

hapekerkeling likes this.
  3. StefanStark
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 25, 2020

StefanStark , via OnePlus 8T Aquamarine Green , Nov 25, 2020 :
    Ampere only sees one battery and therefore only shows half of the charging speed - 8T has dual battery setup.

Maybe you consider

- reading the forum rules
    - using the search function with keywords eg. battery
    - browse the forum a few minutes and find the topic you are interested in already open and in discussion.

There is a - (Unified) battery and heating - topic open with a few hundred answers and this question alone 20 times.

Shailender Sharma likes this.
  4. StefanStark

Ampere only sees one battery and therefore only shows half of the charging speed - 8T has dual battery setup.

Maybe you consider

- reading the forum rules
    - using the search function with keywords eg. battery
    - browse the forum a few minutes and find the topic you are interested in already open and in discussion.

There is a - (Unified) battery and heating - topic open with a few hundred answers and this question alone 20 times.

Pro-tips - read the forum rules again and stop opening dublicated topics for the same issue...

G_plusone likes this.
  5. StefanStark

6. StefanStark

7. dart7
    Donut Nov 25, 2020

dart7 , Nov 25, 2020 :
    Thanks for your reply.

Didn't expect slow charging case being mentioned in the topic about heating. I will read that one.
    Nevertheless, there are two facts that complicate the situation.

1. I measured the current with usb meter and it gave me bad results as well (~0.45 A).
    2. After 5 hours of charging battery still wasn't fully charged (93%). I'm guessing it's a bit too slow, isn't it.

My bad!

Attached Files:

hapekerkeling and G_plusone like this.
  8. StefanStark

The USB meters you connect sometimes block the reading/communication with the phone as speedload compatible so it only delivers USB standard that is 500ma.

The free software has the issues of not detecting second battery so only displays half power.

If you want to use oneplus 8t own items

Dial *#800# - far right under tools you see 'charger'.

G_plusone likes this.
  9. dart7
    Donut Nov 25, 2020

Attached Files:

10. dart7
    Donut Nov 25, 2020

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020

11. O. Priya
    Honeycomb Nov 25, 2020

12. O. Priya
    Honeycomb Nov 25, 2020

13. dart7
    Donut Nov 25, 2020

dart7 , Nov 25, 2020 :
    As I mentioned before, I tried two different chargers and cables, doesn't make any difference.

14. G_Alfie_Griver_eeZw
    Donut Nov 25, 2020

G_Alfie_Griver_eeZw , Nov 25, 2020 :
    I got an 8T yesterday. Charges super quick, as expected, with Warp Charger that came with it but charged it at my desk today using a 5V/2.4A charger and it just would not charge up despite saying it was charging.

I had my old OP3 with me and that was charging at about 1300 mA as per usual using the same charger. Tried a few power banks and wall adapters, and they all provided slow results. But my laptop charger using USB-C PD charged at a normal speed. I used the OP3 dash charger and the device charged at a tolerable rate (but not dash charge speed).

This is unacceptable - I have loads of equipment that only gives out 5V/2.4A and the 8T won't even draw 1A from them. I can't afford to buy warp chargers for my home, car, office and a spare one for travel when I have already purchased equipment over the years for this. Fast charging or not, sometimes a man just needs a charge - but less than 5W is a joke.

Screenshot below is using an Aukey Quick Charger (that charges OP3 at about 8W) and different USB A-to-C cables have provided similar results. If I use the Qualcomm quick charge port on it, device will charge at 8V but not much above 5W.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020

hapekerkeling and dart7 like this.
  15. StefanStark
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 26, 2020

StefanStark , via OnePlus 8T Aquamarine Green , Nov 26, 2020 :
    What tool are you using to see charging values?

16. G_Alfie_Griver_eeZw
    Donut Nov 26, 2020

G_Alfie_Griver_eeZw , Nov 26, 2020 :
    Dialling *#800# to get OnePlus Logkit > Tools > Charger

I'm aware that there are two batteries connected in series and that confuses some apps, but the device charges so slowly through standard USB chargers that it is noticeable from battery charge percentage alone.

17. StefanStark

18. G_Alfie_Griver_eeZw
    Donut Nov 26, 2020

19. Tarun325
    Cupcake Nov 26, 2020

Tarun325 , via OnePlus Nord , Nov 26, 2020 :
    1. I measured the current with usb meter and it gave me bad results as well (~0.45 A).
    2. After 5 hours of charging battery still wasn't fully charged (93%). I'm guessing it's a bit too slow, isn't it.

20. StefanStark

StefanStark , via OnePlus 8T Aquamarine Green , Nov 26, 2020 :
    As stated earlier in this thread the usp meters tend to disturb/block the communication between phone and charger and so disabling speed charging features. Only USB standard stays active causing the 400-500mA reading plausible.

You can try to dial *#800# - right bottom corner select tools - charger.

This will display the phones power readings / charging power / temperature reading.