Facebook services and two other Facebook system apps

1. ASCHENTE_V
    KitKat Aug 14, 2020

ASCHENTE_V , Aug 14, 2020 :
    Maybe, I got like 3 comments in one second, I could have misunderstood some info. It happens, sorry.

Having different points is ok, but you (not you exactly, I mean in general) can't say, that mods are paid OnePlus employees-fanboys, defending the company and debating any critics and concerns... That ain't true.

chaffefam and Neerajan like this.
  2. KeepTransisting
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Aug 14, 2020

KeepTransisting , Aug 14, 2020 :
    Indeed. As the moderator of a different forum, I'm tired of being told not to voice my opinion because of my role.

chaffefam and ASCHENTE_V like this.
  3. jjvoliver
    Froyo Aug 14, 2020

jjvoliver , Aug 14, 2020 :
    Everyone can voice their opinion, however, as a moderator, it's your responsibility to make sure people understand you're voicing YOUR opinion as an individual.

chaffefam likes this.
  4. KeepTransisting
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Aug 14, 2020

KeepTransisting , Aug 14, 2020 :
    Looking through it, it seems they are voicing their opinion. They don't think it's a huge deal and people are overreacting. Their opinion won't always line up with the voice of the community.

5. kissoffboardy
    Froyo Aug 14, 2020

kissoffboardy , via OnePlus 7T , Aug 14, 2020 :
    I'm not starting a row here again, hopefully. And I agree it's not fair to tar mods as all fanboys and have not said that. Modding is a dirty job, but someone's got to do it.

However, equally it's not on for a mod to make out that the concerns in this thread (including yours) are stupid or paid for. That really is not good.

Anyways, back to how Facebook sucks.

6. Neerajan
    Honeycomb Aug 14, 2020

Neerajan , via OnePlus 8 , Aug 14, 2020 :
    I completely understand you. Yeah, moderators are doing a great job, I have seen several threads where the moderators were able to guide and answer several questions, Merging related threads. No, moderators are not paid fanboys they work to improve the community I completely understand that, credits should be given when due.

It could be me or the threads I read through, some of them seem to get emotional sometimes, mainly on threads by the new users. That was a little concerning for me.

kissoffboardy and ASCHENTE_V like this.
  7. kissoffboardy
    Froyo Aug 14, 2020

kissoffboardy , via OnePlus 7T , Aug 14, 2020 :
    It's the bit of their opinion that says this is all part of a campaign and that others views are somehow laughable that I object to.

If someone who wasn't a mod accused someone of being a paid shill, I'd expect a mod to have a word.

jjvoliver likes this.
  8. ASCHENTE_V
    KitKat Aug 14, 2020

ASCHENTE_V , Aug 14, 2020 :
    Yeah, let's get back to facebook badmouthing!)

9. jjvoliver
    Froyo Aug 14, 2020

In this 9to5google article:

https://9to5google.com/2020/08/05/o...-with-facebook-services-that-cant-be-removed/

It seems clear that this was a sneaky move from OnePlus. it says, and I quote:

"Speaking to Android Police, OnePlus has since confirmed that it has struck a deal to include Facebook App Installer, Facebook Services, and Facebook App Manager as system apps on its latest smartphones — namely OnePlus 8, 8 Pro, and Nord. OnePlus says that by pre-installing these Facebook services, apps such as the main Facebook app and Messenger — both of which are also pre-installed — they’ll end up eating less battery life."

Also, the part where they mention that "they’ll end up eating less battery life", it may well be true (or not, I'm not a developer), but only for Facebook users, it will have the opposite effect for Facebook haters like me, and so many others in this thread.

Then, when I read this: "This method doesn’t leave Facebook, Messenger, Instagram, or other Facebook apps installed on your device permanently. You’re free to uninstall those, but the underlying Services, App Installer, and App Manager apps will remain installed as system apps that can’t be removed, only disabled.", it's clear to me that, knowing how Facebook works, your data is not safe even if you uninstall the apps.

Sure, you have the option to disable the services, however, as little space as it may take, it's still MY space, and I should be the one to decide what I want to fill it up with, not Facebook or OnePlus.

And this is the part why, I believe, everyone has been voicing concern: "With those apps installed and active, you might notice that updates for Facebook apps may come through that service instead of the Play Store. You may also notice that those services eat up little bits of data even while not in use, which is a tad concerning considering you don’t know what data is being sent back to Facebook."

We don't know what data is being transferred. Also, why should I allow them to use MY data?

OnePlus may be under contract with this now, and have no easy or inexpensive way out of it, but I certainly think they should look at the bigger picture. How is this going to impact the brand that started the "Never Settle" movement in the Android devices community of users?

chaffefam and PokiX like this.
  10. kissoffboardy
    Froyo Aug 14, 2020

kissoffboardy , Aug 14, 2020 :
    These are the really important issues that OnePlus needs to address for me. What is going on in the background? What vulnerabilities does this introduce?

The apps being there is bad, but stuff that can't be removed is terrible. Facebook appear to be the shadiest bunch going and not to be trusted. Plus possibly a large part of all kinds of harmful global nonsense that is going on.

I don't have an 8, so feel especially bad for people who have them, but from a selfish point of view, I've had a 1, a 3T, and now a 7T, so will now be looking for a new brand if this continues.

chaffefam and jjvoliver like this.
  11. jjvoliver
    Froyo Aug 14, 2020

Well, if Mashable is to be believed (I have my reservations with them), this is the most concerning part of it.

In their article https://mashable.com/article/oneplus-smartphone-facebook-pre-installed/ they say:

"The bloatware paves the way for the social media company to install the Facebook, Messenger, and Instagram apps directly on your phone, without going through the Google Play Store. Users can choose to uninstall the apps. But according to OnePlus owners, the Facebook services can’t be removed; they can only be disabled.

Doing so will prevent the services from working in the background. However, small amounts of data can still be sent to Facebook, reported one OnePlus 8 Pro owner who raised the issue in June."

That bold and underlined part or the second paragraph is the most concerning side of it.

On the brighter side, in the same article it says that it appears that OnePlus has said that phones before the 8, 8 Pro and Nord will not have FB malware installed in future updates, which is nice.

"OnePlus confirmed to PCMag the preinstallation is real. “The OnePlus 8 Series and Nord have these apps and services pre-installed. Older phones will not get these apps and services with later updates,” a company spokesperson said."

chaffefam and kissoffboardy like this.
  12. kissoffboardy
    Froyo Aug 14, 2020

Hopefully they will stick to not messing with older models - but dirty cash can be tempting.

And sadly, that doesn't address the issues of those who own the 8s, Nord. Hopefully, someone will, but lets not hold our breath.

At the moment, the 7T will still be the last OnePlus phone. Screw Facebook.

13. jjvoliver
    Froyo Aug 14, 2020

I hear you. I got rid of my FB account over 8 years ago, have a PiHole in my home network that absolutely blocks anything FB, IG, Whatsapp and whatnot.

Had Instagram for less than 2 weeks about 4 years ago topee some pics a co worker wanted to share with the whole company, then deleted the account (which, mind you, had a fictitious name, email address, and DOB).

Fully deleted Whatsapp too back in 2014, for the exact same reaosn.

All that remains for me in terms of comms is Telegram and Signal, and I still use Twitter regularly, if only to bash at my government and some others.

Screw Facebook, a total understatement sir, lol.

So, why would I ever purchase a device that all but forces on me and my family something I've been actively avoiding for such a long time? Zuckerberg can Zuck my Berg!

chaffefam and fazerboy0_3 like this.
  14. kissoffboardy
    Froyo Aug 14, 2020

Yeah, I hear you.

Never had Facebook personally or any of their other apps. It is entirely possible to think Twitter, Google etc have issues, or think using them is ok or dodgy or compromising or terrible, in an ideal world I'd get rid etc, but also think Facebook are something beyond.

Bad news company,

15. mangatinanda
    Honeycomb Aug 15, 2020

16. fazerboy0_3
    Honeycomb Aug 15, 2020

fazerboy0_3 , Aug 15, 2020 :
    Could not agree more. OK the Nord is a excellent phone 📱 battery 🔋 could Have been better.. The new UI has gone all Samsung in Android 11 and now pre installing an App. Sadly this Nord will be my last OnePlus phone... Either OnePlus listens to if fanm / users or good bye 👋🏻 for many I think 🤔 your 1st Mistake was pre installed App not everyone uses or wants Facebook including myself so pre installed Apps are a serious No No others have tried and failed as people go else where Samsung has even started Advertising on it's Flagship device's again I would not pay £1500 for a phone 📱 to start with but for that price you would not expect advertising on the device.. So OnePlus either listen 👂🏻 to you users or expect big losses...

chaffefam, jjvoliver and Neerajan like this.
  17. Neerajan
    Honeycomb Aug 15, 2020

Neerajan , via OnePlus 8 , Aug 15, 2020 :
    These topics have made headlines in several news forums. I would surely say OnePlus knows about the backlash. The Android 11 feature is still in beta, so we can expect OnePlus to listen to user feedbacks and make changes.

chaffefam, jjvoliver and fazerboy0_3 like this.
  18. Toni Merikanto
    Gingerbread Aug 15, 2020

Toni Merikanto , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Aug 15, 2020 :
    We can only hope OnePlus fixes this pr disaster they have done to themselves.

chaffefam likes this.
  19. Neerajan
    Honeycomb Aug 15, 2020

Neerajan , via OnePlus 8 , Aug 15, 2020 :
    Yep, sadly I will have to agree with you. Hope is the last resort for the core users clinging on for stock Android experience.

chaffefam, jjvoliver and fazerboy0_3 like this.