Facebook services and two other Facebook system apps

1. Toni Merikanto
    Gingerbread Aug 15, 2020

Toni Merikanto , Aug 15, 2020 :
    Specially when we were willing to pay OnePlus for the clean experience they promised us.
    At least they could make these preinstalled apps 100% removeable. I would accept that even with preinstalls. On any device.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020

chaffefam and jjvoliver like this.
  2. kissoffboardy
    Froyo Aug 15, 2020

kissoffboardy , via OnePlus 7T , Aug 15, 2020 :
    This tells me this is clearly now standard OnePlus company policy. Sell out users to anyone who comes knocking on the door waving a bag of gold. The heavier the better.

I can just see the headlines announcing the OnePlus 9 with 1TB of storage, just to cope with the amount of bloat.

Once the deals are signed, there'll be no backtracking to give users their choice back.

Plus, the comments under the Verge article about this are mostly full of Fortnite fanboys gnashing their teeth in favour of weighing down phones with this nonsense, rather than sensible people saying bloatware sucks, full stop.

I bet the only things in this thread causing any angst for OnePlus are the instructions on how to disable this nonsense, as they are getting paid for access to all their users not just some.

All very disheartening.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020

chaffefam and jjvoliver like this.
  3. fazerboy0_3
    Honeycomb Aug 15, 2020

fazerboy0_3 , Aug 15, 2020 :
    once stock Android goes so do i. As this OS is by far the best once it goes so do i.. So Oneplus better listen.. Seriously do not like the look of Android 11. Nor the pre added Bloatware. which has now been removed thanks to advice from this forum.

4. jjvoliver
    Froyo Aug 15, 2020

jjvoliver , Aug 15, 2020 :
    Again, the ADB way only hides it for that user (user 0). If you add a user, or when you update, FB and Netflix will be reactivated and start moving data around again.
    Only way to fully remove those is to root the phone, but that comes with a large set of inconveniences.

5. jjvoliver
    Froyo Aug 15, 2020

jjvoliver , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Aug 15, 2020 :
    I've been researching a bit, and so far the only phones that come "bloatware free" (and the term applies only if you don't mind all the Google apps) is the Pixel.

For some reason I was under the impression that Xiaomi was bloatware free, but it turns out that they come with some pre-installed and un removable apps as well.

I would be very grateful if someone could point me (and a lot of other members here) towards some more options.

My problem with Pixel right now is that they now decided to go with lower end chipsets, and I'm just too used to Qualcomm's latest when I change my phones.

Crapple devices are just not an option for me.

kissoffboardy likes this.
  6. ASCHENTE_V
    KitKat Aug 15, 2020

7. Toni Merikanto
    Gingerbread Aug 15, 2020

jjvoliver likes this.
  8. jjvoliver
    Froyo Aug 15, 2020

kissoffboardy and ASCHENTE_V like this.
  9. jjvoliver
    Froyo Aug 15, 2020

jjvoliver , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Aug 15, 2020 :
    I'm debating if Nokias could fill this void.

I mean, Qualcomm's 765 chipset is plenty fast for most tasks. The issue is that, for lack of experience with lower end chipset, I have no idea if those would be able to put up with my usage.

I travel a lot, so I play many games online with my phones (PUBG, COD, etc).

If anything, with my 7Pro and my Pixel 4 XL, I should be able to pull off another year without changing phones.

Here's hoping something good comes up within a year.

10. chaffefam
    Eclair Aug 15, 2020

chaffefam , via OnePlus 6T , Aug 15, 2020 :
    If OnePlus don't change things soon. When Pixal 5 comes out. I will leave and close my account.

Very sad. I really like OnePlus phones but I won't accept Facebook or the like, that truly can't be removed.

I am sure user would have been willing to pay a little extra if they offered no extra media apps.

kissoffboardy and fazerboy0_3 like this.
  11. ASCHENTE_V
    KitKat Aug 15, 2020

ASCHENTE_V , Aug 15, 2020 :
    Never Settle

12. fazerboy0_3
    Honeycomb Aug 15, 2020

fazerboy0_3 , Aug 15, 2020 :
    Why the need to paypay extra Karl Pei waist size it's about cheap and good experience this used to be the case however now it has gone downhill since the installation of bloatware which I will not be using in future if the oneplus brand does not change this also be swapping to a different brand of phone which will be hard as Oxygen is the best OS by far. Shame they want to jump on the band wagon of other brands. Shame on OnePlus

13. Loveit
    KitKat Aug 15, 2020

Loveit , Aug 15, 2020 :
    Bro, just use ADB method and stop bitching already. While you are it you can learn something and debloat another 30 apps you could probably do away with.

14. Loveit
    KitKat Aug 15, 2020

Loveit , Aug 15, 2020 :
    I have heard LG and Sony are maybe bloat free but haven't used one for years so don't know personally.

ASCHENTE_V and jjvoliver like this.
  15. ASCHENTE_V
    KitKat Aug 15, 2020

ASCHENTE_V , Aug 15, 2020 :
    Let people keep discussion...

PokiX, kissoffboardy and jjvoliver like this.

16. jjvoliver likes this.
  17. jjvoliver
    Froyo Aug 15, 2020

OK, "Bro", stopping bitching is not an option for me.

Not that it matters, but I am left with bitching as the only option.

I have been developing and moding roms and Kernels for over 8 years in XDA-Developers teams, which is how I know that the so-called ADB solution is not a solution, but only a temporary image of what it would be like to remove those packages.

My profile name is vette95, in case you want to confirm this.Unlocking the bootloader and rooting the device is the ONLY way to remove system packages (system packages are those that are built into the Rom itself).

The issue with rooting right now is that, unlike 3 years ago, back when Lollypop, the security measures built into the Android core are effectively disabled as soon as you unlock the bootloader, and further made useless once you root. Most financial applications such as bank apps rely on those same security measures to be able to function properly and securely, thus rooting rendering those applications unable to operate at all.

So, as you can probably see now, "ADB" is not an option, then all I can do is ***** about it.

18. jjvoliver
    Froyo Aug 15, 2020

I had my last Sony about 3 years ago, and they were not bloatware free, same with the LG G20, which was a very good phone, but also already had bloatware.

As for Asus, I had the ROG 1 about a year ago, and was stolen, can't really remember if it had FB preinstalled or not but according to PCMag the 3 has Facebook, Google Stadia, Instagram, and Netflix pre-installed.

I will, however, look into the Zen line of Asus phones, as well as LG and Sony, and see if anything has changed (unlikely, but researching never hurts.)

ASCHENTE_V likes this.
  19. Loveit
    KitKat Aug 15, 2020

Loveit , Aug 15, 2020 :
    I am aware that rooting is the only way to remove apps completely but uninstalling via adb does virtually the same job in reality. Unless you keep switching to guest account for some reason I guess.

I've done it the last 3 years with Huaweis, Xiaomis and lastly the ROG 2 and the bloat is as good as dead as far I am aware. It doesn't come back after an OS update for that user unless moving from completely different versions - then it's time to find out a whole new list of bloat.

To be honest I'm not an expert so please correct me above if wrong!

jjvoliver likes this.
  20. Loveit
    KitKat Aug 15, 2020

Loveit , Aug 15, 2020 :
    Here is my list of debloated apps from the ROG 2 Android 10 update

Screenshot_20200518-011341677.jpg Screenshot_20200518-011507077.jpg