Facebook services and two other Facebook system apps

1. theantz
    Honeycomb Aug 6, 2020

theantz , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Aug 6, 2020 :
    That should be enough. Reinstalling was just an additional step I did to make sure that installed version comes from playstore.

AndroRep and Cheezburgers like this.
  2. muellerman777
    Donut Aug 6, 2020

muellerman777 , Aug 6, 2020 :
    ...and immediately canceled my preorder...
    Nothing more to say.
    I was happy seeing oneplus going back to the roots with a mid-class phone at a fair price.

Did a preorder as soon as it was announced.

Now, with Facebook bloatware onboard, i am out.
    Shame on you oneplus.

3. C.comm
    Gingerbread Aug 6, 2020

C.comm , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Aug 6, 2020 :
    I thought this was common knowledge at least since the launch of the 8 series (or possibly earlier). If you don't like or use the services why not simply disable them as I did on day 1. If that isn't enough to take your concerns away, it's fairly simple to totally remove them via adb.

(I guess what I'm saying is, while I'd much rather it not be there out of the box, I don't view this as a huge deal as there is always something I have to remove from any new phone including earlier OnePlus phones. This will always be the case as even the standard apps are never going to be one size fits all)

AndroRep likes this.
  4. PanPreza
    Cupcake Aug 6, 2020

PanPreza , Aug 6, 2020 :
    I waiting for my Nord but first thing will be uninstalling fb and stop their processes. u right. Shame on 1+

conradseba likes this.
  5. iamelton
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 6, 2020

6. okapi243
    Cupcake Aug 6, 2020

okapi243 , Aug 6, 2020 :
    This is quite disappointing from Oneplus. My Oneplus 7 Pro is the last device I'll ever purchase from Oneplus till they sort out this mess.

AndroRep likes this.
  7. Y1596737317420
    Donut Aug 6, 2020

Y1596737317420 , Aug 6, 2020 :
    I am extremely saddened by the news I've read today concerning the locked-in Facebook code now found in OnePlus devices. OnePlus was the device that finally broke me away from IOS after nearly a decade. I've been using the 6T for nearly two years and I haven't thought about any other device because I've been waiting to upgrade to the 8T upon release. I'm no longer considering it as I'm very opposed to anything involving Facebook. This is a deal breaker, OnePlus! I hope OnePlus reconsiders this decision and puts their end-user community at the top of their priority list. Ultimately the consumer decides if a company is successful. Facebook is not a company that should be trusted or given access to users devices through backdoors. Please delete Facebook as I did years ago.

Darjanator and jjvoliver like this.
  8. Cheezburgers
    Honeycomb Aug 6, 2020

Cheezburgers , Aug 6, 2020 :
    the news came out early on but tbh i dont think anybody rlly knew abt it until now bc it was rlly quiet

AndroRep and chaffefam like this.
  9. kaesekuchengerd
    Donut Aug 6, 2020

cyberdudedk, AndroRep and chaffefam like this.
  10. iamelton
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 6, 2020

iamelton , Aug 6, 2020 :
    i dont think warranty will be voided if the bootloader is unlocked and the phone is rooted, at least as i know it was so in the past..

did OnePlus change their policy on rooting?

11. Joesef Joestar
    Gingerbread Aug 6, 2020

12. hazeyb
    Cupcake Aug 6, 2020

hazeyb , Aug 6, 2020 :
    It's quite simple if Facebook is built in I won't be buying it. I'm on my 4th OnePlus phone, and if there is not a change of direction here there will not be a 5th.

cyberdudedk, AndroRep and chaffefam like this.
  13. ashifashraf5
    Froyo Aug 6, 2020

ashifashraf5 , Aug 6, 2020 :
    It's true. buts its a technicality though.

As per OnePlus>>>
    The technical process of rooting or unlocking the bootloader does not void the warranty of a OnePlus device. However, we strongly suggest for you to only root or unlock the bootloader of your OnePlus device if you are confident in your understanding of the risks involved.
    By accessing resources regularly unavailable to the software, you may damage your hardware during or after the procedure. Such damage is not covered under warranty. In warranty handling, we will first need to verify that any faulty behavior is unrelated to rooting / unlocking.

14. Pihraija
    Cupcake Aug 6, 2020

Pihraija , Aug 6, 2020 :
    Thanks Oneplus for letting me not having to consider the oneplus Nord as my next phone :) No Facebook pre installed crap for me :) Motorola or iPhone SE here I come!

cyberdudedk, chaffefam and AndroRep like this.
  15. AndroRep
    Froyo Aug 6, 2020

AndroRep , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Aug 6, 2020 :
    First off you just screwed your sales to a community that despise bloat ware.

I love one plus but this is me telling you to f_ck off.

#greed at the cost of our privacy. In f_cking believable.

I can't believe that you will cook Facebook into the framework this sh*t is just baffling ....

And it can not be uninstalled.... Wtf seriously I'm raging ..... I don't need or want face book. I may sue you if you go through with this on my one plus 8 pro. I do not agree to any software changes

Y1596737317420 and cyberdudedk like this.
  16. AndroRep
    Froyo Aug 6, 2020

17. NaiyerAsif
    Gingerbread Aug 6, 2020

NaiyerAsif , Aug 6, 2020 :
    Of course it is not a big deal for some people; issuing a command over ADB and removing such things is definitely possible. This does not excuse a company charging a flagship price and still shipping the hardware with an spyware. Given the track record of security misfires at OnePlus, these practices simply vaporize any sympathy they had with their fanbase.

Y1596737317420, yddtime and chaffefam like this.
  18. AndroRep
    Froyo Aug 6, 2020

AndroRep , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Aug 6, 2020 :
    OOS reigned supreme. Even over stock Android.

I'm done... One plus just f_cked themsleves

19. poe_fosho
    Gingerbread Aug 6, 2020

poe_fosho , Aug 6, 2020 :
    That's Crazy!
    That was one of the biggest benefits to go with OnePlus!
    I am sad to hear and I expect more bloatware will be coming.

GeraldR, Skugen and chaffefam like this.
  20. C.comm
    Gingerbread Aug 6, 2020

C.comm , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Aug 6, 2020 :
    Well, if that's the angle, Samsung (and others) ship with far more bloatware on their flagships and cost quite a bit more on top of it.

I would be miffed if these phones looked like those (with a multitude of crap pre-installed) in that regard but my point was I'm not going to get bent over a couple items I don't want (and will literally take make less than 5 minutes to address) when I know that it's still far better than others in that regard...even those charging "flagship prices"