Facebook services and two other Facebook system apps

1. AndroRep
    Froyo Aug 6, 2020

AndroRep , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Aug 6, 2020 :
    I agree. But this is not just a simple uninstall. It's baked into the framework.

#bootloops and all kinds of shit once removed.

Y1596737317420 and chaffefam like this.
  2. kissoffboardy
    Froyo Aug 6, 2020

kissoffboardy , via OnePlus 7T , Aug 6, 2020 :
    Degrees of doing the wrong thing are irrelevant. It's still doing the wrong thing. No-one should have to remove anything themselves, full stop.

Plus this is Facebook, whose reputation at the moment is about as low as it gets.

Bloatware is bad, but bloatware from a company who have had newspaper articles, politicians and grassroots campaigns questioning their role in subverting democracy around the world tastes especially bad.

3. yddtime
    Gingerbread Aug 6, 2020

yddtime , Aug 6, 2020 :
    This move by OnePlus is based on pure greed. Raising phone prices in step with the flagship brands wasn't enough, they had to also pad their profits with Facebook blood money.

4. C.comm
    Gingerbread Aug 6, 2020

C.comm , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Aug 6, 2020 :
    How can it be "no one should have to remove anything themselves full stop". If that were the case, the phone would need to ship with nothing more than the os (and even then I'm sure some would want to remove certain features).

Of course if the the device shipped with 0 additional software people would complain as well. How do you please everyone in these cases?

5. kissoffboardy
    Froyo Aug 6, 2020

6. SweetReverie
    Cupcake Aug 6, 2020

SweetReverie , via OnePlus 6 , Aug 6, 2020 :
    Agreed. I will not be purchasing another OnePlus phone until they go back to being bloatware free. And, I've been with OnePlus since the beginning.

7. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Aug 6, 2020

8. MADMAC05
    Froyo Aug 6, 2020

MADMAC05 , Aug 6, 2020 :
    Whoever has made this decision has to take a long break and think things through. Facebook is currently under intense scrutiny for their shady practices and, in a time when so many people are actually deleting it, to force it down everyone's throat is a very poor commercial decision.
    I can understand striking a deal and including it on the new phones, but placing it as an unremovable system app?! Seriously?! It just increases my disdain for Facebook and generates a completely new one for OP.
    Your community has made you great but can also bring you down. I reallyhope you rethink your strategy or my current OP will be the last one I'll ever own - I won't settle, even if you do!

9. conradseba likes this.
  10. ASCHENTE_V
    KitKat Aug 6, 2020

ASCHENTE_V , Aug 6, 2020 :
    Lol, now users should constantly use adb to fix shit by OnePlus: enable photochrome filter, delete facebook garbage... Can OnePlus stop marketing OOS as bloatware free? Quoting @Pete:
    • "Rest assured that we are not moving away from what you know and love about OxygenOS – super smooth performance, clean UI, lightweight, and a ton of customizations that let you tailor OxygenOS to fit your needs and preferences."
    [​IMG]

conradseba, malidan and ade0410 like this.
  11. mangatinanda
    Honeycomb Aug 7, 2020

mangatinanda , via OnePlus 7 , Aug 7, 2020 :
    Hello team OnePlus. Are you guys listening? To your community? This might be the downfall if you don't pay attention.

And you can't use bloatware free anymore.

12. Flam3y
    Donut Aug 7, 2020

Flam3y , Aug 7, 2020 :
    Totally agree!

Please remove the Facebook framework.
    At least let us have a choice.

Won't upgrade if the forced pre-install will stay. Facebook is the cancer. I have my account deleted a couple of years ago and the services and homepage is completely blocked in my home networks.

regards...

13. GeraldR and poe_fosho like this.
  14. ion2910
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 7, 2020

15. pgeneva
    Cupcake Aug 7, 2020

pgeneva , Aug 7, 2020 :
    I use oneplus and oxegen OS so I don't have any bloat.
    Having Facebook on my phone is the last thing I want.

I might as well get a pixel as it is one of the last good phone OSs since OnePlus starts to add bloat.

16. palc
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 7, 2020

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020

L1596802729931 likes this.
  17. Vicky_cbe
    KitKat Aug 7, 2020

Vicky_cbe , via OnePlus 7T , Aug 7, 2020 :
    https://9to5google.com/2020/08/05/o...-with-facebook-services-that-cant-be-removed/

The underlying service can send and receive data without play store interception. Sounds very alarmingly wrong and a big security threat with what OnePlus and Facebook would steal.
    Would like to know the thoughts on this from other users too.

During my college days I never considered security threat as anything major. But as years passed by I have become more concerned about the devices I have and how secure they function. Even the apps I use are somehow stopped from using cameras or internals just to minimise the negativity.
    Ps- I don't use facebook. I do use Instagram and whatsapp but I get concerned everytime I see the ad of a product which I searched for in the past day or week.
    Also as a user(and OnePlus fans too) you should ask the company for proper explanation and also not support such activities. Take it up to the higher officials and make sure the voice is heard. People around the world do not pay such huge amount of money to get their data stolen.
    And yes next time for sure I am moving to Apple.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020

18. MentalSC
    Eclair Aug 7, 2020

xcs likes this.
  19. Xeniox
    Eclair Aug 7, 2020

Xeniox , Aug 7, 2020 :
    I totally agree with you. I do have a Facebook account, however I only use it from time to time to check up on things (I think the last time I used it was about a year ago).

Personally, I don't like Facebook as a company due to the amount of data they collect, however this is just my personal opinion. This being pre-installed on OnePlus phones now doesn't really seem like a good idea, when it is quite easy to download through the Play Store.

I do think they should add an uninstall option for it, or an option in the setup to enable or disable it.

Anyway, I do hope it changes soon.

Kind regards,
    Tom.

Y1596737317420 and Vicky_cbe like this.
  20. Vicky_cbe
    KitKat Aug 7, 2020

Vicky_cbe , via OnePlus 7T , Aug 7, 2020 :
    True. Facebook has been stealing data as much as tiktok and OnePlus has now given them a back door to collect even better data.
    User should definitely be given the option to choose their apps. Getting it pre-installed(unremovable) isn't the right thing to do.
    Thank you for sharing your opinion and voicing out.

Y1596737317420 and Xeniox like this.