Facebook services

1. chinnidiwakar
    Froyo Aug 8, 2020

Sam_Tsoi and Kol3sar like this.
  2. MrStabsv1
    Froyo Aug 9, 2020

MrStabsv1 , Aug 9, 2020 :
    OnePlus 3T. Must be hard being irrelevant.

3. chinnidiwakar
    Froyo Aug 9, 2020

chinnidiwakar , via OnePlus 3T , Aug 9, 2020 :
    Just because comment came from 3T doens't meen I don't own other devices, must be hard being wrong all the time.

4. chinnidiwakar
    Froyo Aug 9, 2020

5. scresho
    Donut Aug 9, 2020

scresho , Aug 9, 2020 :

MrStabsv1

OnePlus 3T. Must be hard being irrelevant.​

The 3T was actually one of the best (If not maybe the best) Phone oneplus ever released imo

also this Facebook thing is seriously concerning, whats next? First they top up the price to a thousand euros and now this :D

6. Bongzerker
    Gingerbread Aug 10, 2020

Bongzerker , Aug 10, 2020 :
    I was going to order a OnePlus 8 tonight before I stumbled upon this information. Thank God this happened before I wasted my money. Will not be buying another OnePlus device unless this changes, I do not want Facebook or Facebook services anywhere near my data, even if they can be uninstalled or disabled. This is a huge breach of trust and a destruction of the OnePlus brand. I liked OxygenOS because it was as bloat-free as you could get without buying a Pixel but I guess that's changing now. OnePlus is really set on adopting the worst practices of Samsung and other brands. Looks like Pixels are the last surviving Android phone that still offers consumer choice, it's a shame Google is so bad at designing and selling them. I bet you next OnePlus will be locking the bootloader. I'm not playing this game anymore with companies, I simply won't purchase new flagship phones if this is the way things continue to head. If a $50 Chinese phone has the same amount of bloat and spyware as a $1000 one, what's the point anymore? Signed, a previous customer who bought the OnePlus 7 Pro at launch.

Kol3sar and Sam_Tsoi like this.
  7. Idan_Bianco
    Froyo Aug 10, 2020

Idan_Bianco , Aug 10, 2020 :
    I own a OnePlus 7 pro. my next phone was definitely going to be a OnePlus.
    Not anymore. one of the reasons I moved to OnePlus was to have the freedom of choice after that was taken away from with Samsung and it's preinstalled facebook application and many more bloatware.
    OnePlus. You messed up big-time. and we are just the few who writes about this. but many thinks the same.

jkerkhoven, Bongzerker and Sam_Tsoi like this.
  8. Bongzerker
    Gingerbread Aug 10, 2020

Bongzerker , Aug 10, 2020 :
    This hits the nail on the head for me. I refuse to buy Samsung phones because they refuse to let me uninstall + disable apps as well as lock the bootloader of their US devices. Why would I buy a OnePlus phone that does all the same things short of locking the bootloader? I don't want to have to flash LineageOS on a phone I just took out of the box.

Following the competition is only smart when the competition makes a good product. Samsung phones suck and are packed with bloat/spyware, why does OnePlus want to emulate that? Just because they sell well? Stupid way to dilute your brand and lose loyal customers.

Neerajan and Idan_Bianco like this.
  9. Neerajan
    Honeycomb Aug 14, 2020

Neerajan , via OnePlus 8 , Aug 14, 2020 :
    Exactly.
    Wait until the OOS 11 rolls out. There are plenty of articles and threads saying the OOS 11 looks more similar to one UI from Samsung. Maybe OnePlus is trying to get cues from Samsung as they are stepping into flagship territory. They should have stayed away from getting design cues from Samsung

As a core user it is time now to switch to alternative enthusiast brands. OnePlus is definitely trying to become the next Samsung. May be it's time to jump ships.

jjvoliver likes this.
  10. anzzyed
    Eclair Aug 15, 2020

Kol3sar and RoshanThayyil like this.
  11. MrStabsv1
    Froyo Aug 18, 2020

MrStabsv1 , Aug 18, 2020 :
    Some of the replies here are hilarious! Acting like petulant children over a couple of apps. Hardly "bloatware". Don't ever buy a Samsung whatever you do.

Swejuggalo likes this.
  12. Kol3sar , via OnePlus 8 Pro Onyx Black , Aug 19, 2020 :
    Pretty sure nobody here want too

13. Neerajan
    Honeycomb Aug 19, 2020

Neerajan , via OnePlus 8 , Aug 19, 2020 :
    Many among them are really concerned people for the brand. Do you think the people here are haters, nah they are the consumers of OnePlus devices. It's their feedback on OnePlus's decision to include bloat-ware. They want the brand they trust in to stay true to their roots.

You could find haters or people who envy OnePlus in public forum, but this is a user forum and users have every right to voice their opinion, in a decent manner.

14. V1559711824958
    Cupcake Aug 25, 2020

V1559711824958 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Aug 25, 2020 :
    Look OnePlus. We know you are getting paid to add Facebook and Netflix. I haven't had a Facebook account since 2014 and don't ever watch Netflix on my phone (I have a television and a Tab for that) so you're not saving me and battery life. At the same time, disengenuous excuses for the inclusion of bloatware are insulting to your core user group that brought you here. Also, they do less to differentiate you from, say, Samsung now that the price and hole punch are part of "all else being equal." Just where are you going? Do you even know?

nathan57971 likes this.
  15. nathan57971
    Eclair Sep 12, 2020

Y1596737317420 likes this.
  16. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Sep 12, 2020

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , Sep 12, 2020 :
    A thought... Name a Android phone without an privacy concern due to Google tracking data collection about you. Just because they provide the OS does not really make a lot of the tracking optional or that very aware by the users.
    How many apps don't harvest data and stuff via Google tools for bug reporting reasons and stuff? How much info does a keyboard really store and track about you?
    There are all kind of stuff going on on most people's phones. But in some cases the Facebook services are the only thing that makes some react due to privacy concern.
    I'm not says having this pre-installed is a good thing. But how much worse (or is it really worse) than many other things that you actually approve happening or don't even know about? Not that very easy to tell really.

De-googled phone video that might be of interest.

Pinephone and other products that very few want but... Still interesting out of security and privacy reasons. Maybe phones like this affects the functionality of more mainstream products one day.

(mod note: relevant links added for more security/privacy related info)

17. Neerajan
    Honeycomb Sep 12, 2020

Neerajan , via OnePlus 8 , Sep 12, 2020 :
    I don't understand these arguments. How I interpret it is just because your are using Google services, facebook is also stealing data you might as well use them.

Data is future for many companies, if google is a concern for many people they would have chosen IOS instead of Android devices. Isn't google providing the security update patch to all Android devices?

Accept the fact that Google and Android is inseparable. What is facebook exactly doing in an android device? It is a social media platform. For God sake, please don't compare it with Google services.

Yeah, google is spying but that doesn't mean facebook is okay or good.

V1559711824958 likes this.
  18. Swejuggalo

My point was not that it's fine and you shouldn't be bothered by having pre-installed Facebook stuff (especially if you don't even use any Facebook related apps). My point is that some only react on Facebook and don't seem to react on anything else but Facebook. Like if everything else never matters. I like to see it from a broader perspective.
    Anyway. The very least these apps should be possible to uninstall manually without adb. But that may break some of the purpose of the services. But it's questionable what good they do if any at all (battery claims). For someone that does not use Facebook it clearly does not do anything good, that is something I think everyone agrees on [e]1f609[/e]

As an active Facebook users I don't really mind much (I question the benefits of the services though). I go though all privacy settings of both Facebook and Google and set them they way I feel they should be. Most use standard settings. And both Facebook and Google knows that and take advantage of that. Having the settings available makes it look good on paper though [e]1f60a[/e]
    Most don't know that you can limit the timeframe Google should store info about you.

Rob Braxman does not seem to be all that happy about iOS though. Search "Rob Braxman ios" on Youtube.

19. Neerajan
    Honeycomb Sep 12, 2020

Neerajan , via OnePlus 8 , Sep 12, 2020 :
    That's because facebook is just a social media app. It's not necessary for everyone to carry out their daily tasks. So please don't bring google apps into the argument here. If people need to avoid google apps, then there will no android devices selling outside China.

I disagree about iOS. With new developments between apple and facebook, IOS devices seems to be way more secured than any Android devices.

I just want to ask you one question, do you think facebook services are better the google utilities?

20. Swejuggalo

Nope. Never said they were better in anyway. Just that there are a lot more things than just Facebook and Google to worry about. And I never said it's good that they added it pre-installed.
    Some people do feel they they need to limit or De-google to feel safe. I'm not one of them though.

Some even debate over that Google and Facebook does similar stuff Huawei did... The differance, from US point of view, is that Google and Facebook is a "homegrown and ignored threat" as one writer called it.