Facebook Services via OnePlus 8 Pro

1. Sam_Tsoi
    Eclair Aug 10, 2020

Sam_Tsoi , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Aug 10, 2020 :
    I truly regret buying a Oneplus 8 pro. It's so disappointing that you have made a deal with a company that encourages the spread of misinformation and undermines public health

Bongzerker likes this.
  2. Bongzerker
    Froyo Aug 10, 2020

Bongzerker , Aug 10, 2020 :
    I was a few clicks away from ordering a OnePlus 8 last night when I heard the news. I previously purchased a OnePlus 7 Pro and was very happy with OxygenOS due to having very little bloat, sadly it looks like that has now gone out the window. I have no interest in purchasing a device from a company that doesn't respect me or my privacy.

I have seen some people claim that it's okay because you can disable the apps. Disabling isn't the same as uninstalling. I do not want Facebook anywhere near my device. I don't want its files on my phone. Period.

Guess the only phone I'm left with as a choice to buy this year is going to be the Pixel 4a even though its specs suck.

3. oif.vet2k3
    Eclair Aug 10, 2020

oif.vet2k3 , Aug 10, 2020 :
    I knew OnePlus was going mainstream when they let TMO sell the McLaren. I have a OP3 and OP5T. No way was I going to get the McLaren with 1 sim even with all the BS workarounds. I wanted a true dual sim phone. So that in itself pushed me away form the OnePlus brand at that time. I check OP site every now and then just to see whats new, and man O man this Facebook shit is something else. OnePlus has gone against everything it ever stood for with this move and I will not be buying into this company for the foreseeable future. We as consumers are consistently fed bullshit products for huge amounts of money and this company is now in the class with Sammy and LG. Way to go OnePlus, you're killing it - literally!

4. rarog
    Lollipop Assistant Head Moderator Aug 10, 2020

rarog , Aug 10, 2020 :
    I do not like preinstalled services that I use rarely, but I do not see the encouraging in spread of misinformation or undermining public health. People will use any media available for this and on Facebook I've seen flagging of fake news and hoax posts with links to explanations.

In that case you have to use good blocker apps or extensions like ublock origin, as many, many sites include Facebook functionality and will deliver tracking functionality even if you aren't logged in. Many apps offer Facebook logins, which carry Facebook libraries with them. Do you avoid all those apps, too? It's good to minimise the threat but it's not realistic to be able to avoid everything.