Facebook system apps via OnePlus 6

1. Danielarr45
    Honeycomb Aug 5, 2020

Danielarr45 , via OnePlus 6 , Aug 5, 2020 :
    So why is OP adding Facebook apps and services baked into Oxygen OS without the user consent. The only region this does not happen is China? If this is not corrected, many will move to other carriers. Giving data without consent to shady Facebook is never good. OnePlus adding bloatware regardless of the reason is a breech of trust.

2. woina
    Eclair Aug 5, 2020

4. yddtime
    Gingerbread Aug 6, 2020

yddtime , Aug 6, 2020 :
    Disappointing to say the least. I don't use Facebook, never had an account. I guess the Pixel is looking better now.

chaffefam likes this.
  5. BA_Baracus
    Froyo Aug 6, 2020

chaffefam likes this.
  6. chaffefam
    Eclair Aug 6, 2020

chaffefam , via OnePlus 6T , Aug 6, 2020 :
    I have been using OnePlus for many years now and very happy with their phones. Now they are adding bloatware, Facebook and other social apps which cannot be removed. This is really upsetting as I will have to look for another phone company that sells non bloated phones. You say never settle, you just did!

Thank you for contacting OnePlus Customer support.

This is definitely inconvenience and I am sure if I was in this situation, I would have been as much unhappy as you have been. This is not a kind of experience we would want our customers to go through, Our sincere apologies for all the inconvenience caused.

Having said that, I will definitely consider this and let the concerned team know about it. This kind of feedback will always help us grow and develop in the market. We will always love to hear the feedback and work according to the customer needs and satisfaction.

However as of now, OnePlus 8, 8 Pro, and Nord all include the Facebook App Installer, Facebook App Manager, and Facebook Services as system apps. The main Facebook app, Messenger, and Instagram are also present.

7. bikerboy360
    Gingerbread Aug 6, 2020

chaffefam likes this.
  8. sri4oneplus
    Gingerbread Aug 6, 2020

sri4oneplus , via OnePlus 8 , Aug 6, 2020 :
    I think its a deal done between facebook and mobile manufacturers. Lately, we are seeing default facebook in many mobiles.

If at all such deal is made between OP and fb, OP cannot remove it as it breaks existing legal deal. However there is provision to disable them if users don't want. Thats the only thing that can be done if a legal deal is made.

Atleast I would like OP to consider no such deals in future to make the mobile as vanilla as possible.

chaffefam likes this.
  9. Ozymandias_Osiris
    Gingerbread Aug 6, 2020

chaffefam likes this.
  10. Cowslappa
    Eclair Aug 6, 2020

Cowslappa , Aug 6, 2020 :
    I still have my 7 Pro and I will hang onto it for a while longer and if OP changes back to being bloat free I'll buy again. If they don't my 7 Pro is the least one I am buying. I refuse to buy anything with facebook baked in. Thank you OP for selling out, I hope you regret it.

chaffefam likes this.
  11. Lixaya
    Froyo Aug 6, 2020

Lixaya , Aug 6, 2020 :
    well I guess facebook paid pretty good for it. So I doubt they are allowed to delete it.
    So there are only 2 options:
    a) they delete it - because every1 hates it and nobody wants it. those who want it, will install it by their own free will
    b) they wont delete it because facebook paid em too much money

I guess its b.... :(
    Maybe I should wait for the Pixel 4a now.

chaffefam likes this.
  12. petermulders
    Donut Aug 7, 2020

petermulders , Aug 7, 2020 :
    7T Pro will be my last OP phone as long as this trend continues. This is settling, this isn't bloatfree as OP calls their OxygenOS

chaffefam likes this.
  13. Srinjan
    Eclair Aug 7, 2020

Srinjan , via OnePlus 8 , Aug 7, 2020 :
    I uninstalled facebook from my phone now. Was surprised to see that there was an actual uninstall option available for the facebook app.

14. chaffefam
    Eclair Aug 7, 2020

chaffefam , via OnePlus 6T , Aug 7, 2020 :
    Don't forget to disable the following if you don't want Facebook having your data. Unfortunately you can't uninstall them.

Facebook App Installer
    Facebook App Manager
    Facebook Services

Astare likes this.
  15. Bongzerker
    Froyo Aug 10, 2020

Bongzerker , Aug 10, 2020 :
    I was going to order a OnePlus 8 tonight before I stumbled upon this information. Thank God this happened before I wasted my money. Will not be buying another OnePlus device unless this changes, I do not want Facebook or Facebook services anywhere near my data, even if they can be uninstalled or disabled. This is a huge breach of trust and a destruction of the OnePlus brand. I liked OxygenOS because it was as bloat-free as you could get without buying a Pixel but I guess that's changing now. OnePlus is really set on adopting the worst practices of Samsung and other brands. Looks like Pixels are the last surviving Android phone that still offers consumer choice, it's a shame Google is so bad at designing and selling them. I bet you next OnePlus will be locking the bootloader. I'm not playing this game anymore with companies, I simply won't purchase new flagship phones if this is the way things continue to head. If a $50 Chinese phone has the same amount of bloat and spyware as a $1000 one, what's the point anymore? Signed, a previous customer who bought the OnePlus 7 Pro at launch.

PokiX and chaffefam like this.
  16. chaffefam
    Eclair Aug 12, 2020

chaffefam , via OnePlus 6T , Aug 12, 2020 :
    I think it would have been nice if OnePlus had informed their users of their decision to have Facebook installed. It would have been better to see if their users would have been willing to pay more. And introduce one without this Facebook being installed. Amazon did this with kindle. One had advertisement and you paid less or you pay more and no advertisement. Why couldn't OnePlus have done this?

I think this is all about choice that has been taken away from a phone company that we do like with great phones. That is why it hurts. The choice is accept or leave. That is why so many users are upset as they want an extra choice.

I am one of them.

Bongzerker and Astare like this.
  17. Astare
    Froyo Aug 12, 2020

Astare , via OnePlus 8 , Aug 12, 2020 :
    I absolutely agree. I've just bought an OP8 and was very disappointed to find all that Facebook tripe embedded in the system. I've had to disable and force stop every one because they can't be deleted. Shame on you Oneplus for betraying your loyal fans. I hope you can produce an update that will enable us to uninstall these unwanted apps.

Bongzerker and chaffefam like this.
  18. chaffefam
    Eclair Aug 12, 2020

chaffefam , via OnePlus 6T , Aug 12, 2020 :
    This is a reply I just got.

Thank you for contacting OnePlus Customer support.

This is definitely inconvenience and I am sure if I was in this situation, I would have been as much unhappy as you have been. This is not a kind of experience we would want our customers to go through, Our sincere apologies for all the inconvenience caused.

Having said that, i have already taken it as a feedback and forwarded it to the concerned team. They will surely look into this.

I would request you to bare with us.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.

I hope you understand!

19. Danielarr45
    Honeycomb Aug 24, 2020

Danielarr45 , via OnePlus 6 , Aug 24, 2020 :
    Easy fix. Quit cutting deals that allow your customer base data to be shared without consent. Reverse the Facebook deal asap and start putting your users best interest ahead of $$$$$$

chaffefam and Bongzerker like this.

chaffefam and Bongzerker like this.