Fairphone blames Qualcomm for lack of long-term software support. What's it all about?

1. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Mar 29, 2021

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Mar 29, 2021 :
    I like Apples long software support. The liking kind of ends with that point though. I say that and still own a iPad Air 4th gen 😜 But there was simply nothing with Android that was suitable for a surfpad I plan to keep for like 5 years (or until it's barely useable). So I took it anyway with a little sour taste in my mouth 😉
    On phones however... iOS would be unthinkable. Would either bore me to death or annoy the heck out of me. I like to play around and mess with things far too much. Plus I upgrade every year anyway due to my yearly upgrade plan. But for people that regulary use phones for long times longer software upgrade plan adds a lot of value to the Android side.

dikoscilator, YRJ, the_o2 and 5 others like this.
  2. BobbyV8_
    The Showcase Reviewer Mar 29, 2021

BobbyV8_ , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Mar 29, 2021 :
    iPads and Macs are something I'd support from Apple. With Android starting to fail, iPhones look better as well. Support, fluidity, camera are indeed good. I hate iOS for mobile, but it's fairly getting better than Android

YRJ, B_Wrath and Dresa91 like this.
  3. SJBoss
    Lollipop Mar 29, 2021

SJBoss , Mar 29, 2021 :
    We're going extinct buddy, I hope you're aware of that. As Android matures, less and less people are turning to custom ROMs.

Yeap, it gets boring after sometime. Even Android if you're not a tinkerer, But people are living with Color OS (which @YRJ admires) and funtouch OS on their phones on the same firmware when they launched so it won't be a problem for majority of people.

It's not about you and me or other people who can easily use their devices for 4-5 yrs if they want to, it's about the larger part of the consumers being forced to move to the newer models.

YRJ, the_o2, B_Wrath and 4 others like this.
  4. ayemei
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 29, 2021

ayemei , Mar 29, 2021 :
    I have never heard of Fairphone before. I think it's great that Fairphone is conscious about the environment. When purchasing a new phone I always look at the repairability and it looks like Fairphone is easy to repair also. I believe that being able to easily repair your smartphone is important to reduce environmental impact, so ppl will be able to use their phone longer.

eastbay, YRJ, KaranRIyer and 3 others like this.
  5. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Mar 29, 2021

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Mar 29, 2021 :
    Yeah. Long term software will benefit the ones that stick to stock and don't mess around with their phones and use it for many years. Many just want it simple and not tinker that much until it breaks or won't worry that much until apps simply start to demand newer OS than what the phone can offer.

My interests when it comes to phones are kind of in a constant conflict.
    I want to mess around with root.... But I also want to be the most optimal bug rapporter and run a non modified OS.
    I want to run beta OS, but I also want to test out stable on the same device so badly I almost buy a second phone only because of that reason.
    I want to play with Lineage OS, but I don't want to loose the opertunity to help and replicate issues on Oxygen OS...
    Closed beta would also be interesting but...

Know how many phones I end up needing? 😜 And how much more free time I would need? 😉 Then I realize I'm too nuts for my own good...
    But atleast I got to upgrade an old Samsung Note 3 to Lineage OS at work. Comforting in a way 😜

6. Helder_DAlmeida
    Marshmallow Mar 29, 2021

Helder_DAlmeida , via OnePlus 7T , Mar 29, 2021 :
    Great thread @YRJ!
    I think it will be difficult for a user to have their device more than 4/5 years. My opinion is that companies should all guarantee a minimum of 4/5 years of updates whether they are system or security. But, of course, for companies, it means having a commitment, not too little time or too much time.
    We can not forget what happened in the past when Apple, Samsung, deliberately made updates for the devices to fix slower and thus oblige users to change their mobile phone.

eastbay, YRJ, Dresa91 and 1 other person like this.
  7. BetiK
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 29, 2021

BetiK , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Mar 29, 2021 :
    Congratulations @YRJ

It may not be surprising to hear that they have so much respect for nature and their customers because after all their brand name is "Fairphone."

We will see later when this decision and attitude will be widely disseminated, if other companies will also follow the same path.

According to my understanding, only the decision and commitment plus the help of the chip manufacturer will make this change possible.

Greetings to all from Brazil.

eastbay, YRJ, Dresa91 and 2 others like this.
  8. Buboleck
    Froyo Mar 29, 2021

Buboleck , via OnePlus Nord , Mar 29, 2021 :
    Nice, explains a lot. There is also one huge blockage, OEMs locking of the bootloader and preventing installing LineageOS or any other than stock ROM.

YRJ likes this.

10. CosmicPaladin
    Jelly Bean Mar 30, 2021

YRJ and Dresa91 like this.

12. 95_deepak
    Gingerbread Mar 30, 2021

95_deepak , via OnePlus 7T , Mar 30, 2021 :
    Nicely explained 👌

I was using a Xiaomi phone before taking OP7T and one of the major reasons for the switch was the software which was lagging so much after updates that a 2 min work started taking 5 mins or more and the Xiaomi was somewhat less than 3 years old only. I am hoping that OP works more than this on the software front atleast and the reason for my next switch be the features rather than the software lags.

YRJ likes this.
  13. dikoscilator
    Honeycomb Mar 30, 2021

YRJ likes this.
  14. rayprayas03
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 30, 2021

rayprayas03 , Mar 30, 2021 :
    There should be atleast a contract to provide 3-5 years of Update in a phone. Basically for Flagship or premium segment

YRJ likes this.
  15. Ranjit2206
    Honeycomb Mar 30, 2021

16. hbk1402
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 30, 2021

hbk1402 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Mar 30, 2021 :
    Excellent post @YRJ. Thank you. As said, Hopefully, android users could also get longer OS and security updates!!!

Do you see any other roadblocks that can stop from getting this to reality?

YRJ likes this.

YRJ likes this.
  18. manojsurya99
    Jelly Bean Mar 30, 2021

YRJ, Dresa91 and KaranRIyer like this.
  19. YSRReddy
    Honeycomb Mar 30, 2021

YRJ likes this.