Fairphone blames Qualcomm for lack of long-term software support. What's it all about?

1. abhinids
    Froyo Mar 30, 2021

abhinids , Mar 30, 2021 :
    you said it correct. they are releasing the most Buggy update now a days and more focused to launching a new device.

they released 9R is the exact copy of 8T.

Katrick likes this.
  2. SanjaySNair
    Cupcake Mar 30, 2021

3. Optimus_Prime_07
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 30, 2021

YRJ likes this.
  4. Kushrami
    Gingerbread Mar 30, 2021

YRJ likes this.
  5. RAMEEZA2K15
    Gingerbread Mar 30, 2021

6. Q1613123931673
    Gingerbread Mar 30, 2021

7. Santhosh_Ravi
    Honeycomb Mar 30, 2021

YRJ likes this.
  8. Dominantraval
    Cupcake Mar 30, 2021

YRJ likes this.
  9. Abhi123Jr. , via OnePlus Community App , Mar 30, 2021 :
    I used to wonder the same 🙂🙂

Swejuggalo and YRJ like this.
  10. SJBoss
    Lollipop Mar 30, 2021

B_Wrath, YRJ, the_o2 and 4 others like this.
  11. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Mar 30, 2021

YRJ , Mar 30, 2021 :
    Ah! I have a love hate relationship with that phone. It came out right after I got the OnePlus 5, so ihad to keep telling myself that the 5 was better in some way (it wasn't) they even retained the same price. I was so mad. But looking back, I think it's probably the most refined phone OnePlus has made, the 7T is a close second ;)
    Indeed. Unfortunately, that's is the fate of companies catering to the enthusiasts. Fairphone is for most users the phone they've always wanted. In mere seconds you can open the phone up and place each component seperately on the table. The company even provides a screwdriver inside the box.

But as you rightly said, it isn't a sustainable business they can continue making mediocre specced, expensive phones or make the best one they can, with top of the line specs only to disappear right after.
    They have the benefit of the closed ecosystem. They can tweak every component of the phone to their liking and having that level of control allows them to do things that android's can only dream of. (re: a small flagship)

eastbay, sfomin, dikoscilator and 2 others like this.
  12. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Mar 30, 2021

Dresa91 , Mar 30, 2021 :
    Yes, exactly.

YRJ and KaranRIyer like this.
  13. Dr_Mridul
    Gingerbread Mar 30, 2021

YRJ likes this.
  14. K1599296903855
    Cupcake Mar 30, 2021

15. Drasm19
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 30, 2021

Drasm19 , Mar 30, 2021 :
    I think this is all part of planned obsolescence. The longer people stick to their phones, the steeper the fall in sales next year would be.

The phenomenon isn't new either, in the mid 1920's all the lightbulb manufacturers got together under the pretext of improving the existing technology and better coordination, while the real reason was to find a way to decrease ths lifespan of existing lightbulbs by half and thereby creating an artificial boost to their sales.

Apple realised that they can do both, i.e, they can woo the gullible ones with eye catchy phrases and images to frequently update their phone or they can extract money from their longer lasting customers through the ecosystem.

Not all android manufacturers have that sort of a control over their end product, hence, they struggle to keep up and when they realise that they can't, they join others in speeding up the obsolescence for their existing hardware- artificially boosting their sales and wrecking havoc on the environment.

OnePlus has a still got eons to travel before it can even match the likes of samsung. They've been struggling to provide platform upgrade and regular updates for their last year's flagships, and from what we've seen so far, they probably never will.

KaranRIyer, YRJ and RaraBunny like this.
  16. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Mar 30, 2021

YRJ , Mar 30, 2021 :
    This. I kept using my 5S until last year and I still occasionally return to it. Don't think I've had a phone that can match the in hand feel

IMG_20210326_010137-01.jpeg

Wasn't expecting anyone take notice, you sir astound me.

Moreover, that wasn't my intention but when you put it this way, I see how that can be related.

Why would people buy new things if they look exactly like the predecessor?
    Apple realises that, hence it keeps switching its designs in a cycle. They have alternating designs year after year. Notice how the 12 series have an uncanny resemblance to the iPhone 5S? That's not a coincidence.

My understanding is that just like big companies, small companies too have some advantages. The most obvious one being, having fewer things to worry about. Since Fairphone is only working on the 2 and 3/3+ atm, itis easier to allocate resources. Ofcourse, money is and always will be a factor, but it isn't the only factor.

17. MUTD3
    Froyo Mar 30, 2021

MUTD3 , via OnePlus 7T , Mar 30, 2021 :
    This is very good and more companies should follow this route. To reduce e waste, companies must offer to upgrade phones at good rates by exchange. This way you keep the customers loyal as well.

YRJ likes this.
  18. T1615380420064
    Cupcake Mar 30, 2021

19. BobbyV8_
    The Showcase Reviewer Mar 30, 2021

BobbyV8_ , Mar 30, 2021 :
    There you go, a request right above this post.

Good job bringing it up tho! (Unintentionally, doesn't matter)

KaranRIyer, YRJ and Dresa91 like this.