Fairphone blames Qualcomm for lack of long-term software support. What's it all about?

2. McLarenMania
    Gingerbread Mar 30, 2021

McLarenMania , via OnePlus 7T Pro 5G , Mar 30, 2021 :
    Great Thread. So being open source has its advantages and disadvantages. I did not realise the role played by chip manufacturers in the overall cycle. So there is no point of looking forward to a Google silicon?

YRJ likes this.
  3. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Mar 30, 2021

YRJ , Mar 30, 2021 :
    I'll admit the tinkerer in me is dying a slow death. 4-5 years ago I loved trying out new things, but now the mentality is “ if It works, why bother”

I think part of the credit goes to OEMs, maybe? They have de-bloated the software to an extent to which many people don't care much.
    If you look at Fairphone you will see that the repairablity comes at a price, gone is the sleek, polished look. When you can open the device with ease, modules have to be designed accordingly. So phones become thicker and feel less premium.

While I do agree it is beneficial for the users, it is easier said than done for the reasons stated in the post above. It maybe easier for smaller companies to work around the lack of support from chipset manufacturer however, the same cannot be said for other OEMs.
    As long as the chipset manufacturer supports it and inturn, OEMs are willing to support it under thier maintainence schedule, no roadblocks.

That is for a maximum of 3+1 year

4. iamaan786
    Gingerbread Mar 30, 2021

YRJ likes this.

6. anmola
    Froyo Mar 30, 2021

anmola , via OnePlus 7T , Mar 30, 2021 :
    Now OnePlus should also announce extended software support for their devices. Because OnePlus always focuses on software experience and support.

7. YRJ

YRJ , Mar 30, 2021 :
    @.Deleted_Member. Shared a great video from Veritasium that explores this in detail. However, things aren’t half as bad as they were in the 1900’s.
    And with EU enforcing right to repair law, companies cannot force you to buy a new phone once the old one starts to show its age. I'd recommend this video if you haven't watched it already:

However, going by what you have to say about the history of planned obsolescence in regards to light bulbs I'd assume you've watched it already :cool:

Hey there, please note that android 11 for the OnePlus 7T series has started rolling out. Since it's a staged rollout, you will receive it in the upcoming days.

There is. If Google makes it own silicon, then it has control over hardware and software. They can then provide an iPhone like experiences for smartphones.

However, given Google's not so glorious past in that field I am not quite confident :sweatsmile:

Sure it would be, but not happening for the reasons stated in the above thread :p

8. devourerOfBits80
    Honeycomb Mar 30, 2021

devourerOfBits80 , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Mar 30, 2021 :
    I think that 4 or 5 years of regular updates for Android devices would be really great. Unfortunately, when I'm seeing today, that OnePlus isn't able to support the flagship device (7T-series) regularly at all, then I don't believe that it's possible to do. One year and a half the 7T-series users had to wait for the first major update for their devices and finally they've received a beta version called stable, which contains many bugs. Generally in the case of OnePlus, changing the support time, doesn't change anything, because they're not able to support device 2 years.

9. Giamma7
    Froyo Mar 30, 2021

Giamma7 , via OnePlus 6 , Mar 30, 2021 :
    A really interesting topic. I hope that OnePlus can become a company that is more attentive to the environment or at least to the management of old devices. Certainly Fairphone deserves more attention.

10. Drasm19
    Honeycomb Mar 30, 2021

Drasm19 , Mar 30, 2021 :
    https://www.theguardian.com/technol...lanned-obsolescence-electronic-waste-mountain

Thanks for the video recommendation!

The idea of planned obsolescence first caught my attention last year, thanks to this article on guardian, then again through a couple of podcasts (Stuff you should know about).

This video is a perfect mashup of both these works.

YRJ, RaraBunny and Dresa91 like this.
  11. SJBoss
    Lollipop Mar 30, 2021

SJBoss , Mar 30, 2021 :
    I don't get it, you're saying it might be easier for smaller companies with little to no R&D budget and relatively small developer team but might be hard for OEMs that pay $150mn for a logo? :rolleyes:

BobbyV8_, B_Wrath, KaranRIyer and 2 others like this.
  12. Drasm19
    Honeycomb Mar 30, 2021

Drasm19 , Mar 30, 2021 :
    1617092541412.jpg

SJBoss, KaranRIyer, YRJ and 2 others like this.
  13. Young_Blood
    Jelly Bean Mar 30, 2021

14. McLarenMania
    Gingerbread Mar 30, 2021

McLarenMania , via OnePlus 7T Pro 5G , Mar 30, 2021 :
    Google needs to take its hardware more seriously 😬

YRJ likes this.
  15. Helder_DAlmeida
    Marshmallow Mar 30, 2021

Helder_DAlmeida , via OnePlus 7T , Mar 30, 2021 :
    The only reason for not doing so is money. They don't want to know about customers. Profit is the objective and everything they do is to increase profits, even if it means cuts in assistance etc ...

SJBoss, Dresa91 and KaranRIyer like this.
  16. YRJ

YRJ , Mar 30, 2021 :
    That not how I would probably put it, but yes :sweatsmile:

17. KaranRIyer
    KitKat Mar 30, 2021

KaranRIyer , Mar 30, 2021 :
    i see what you did there... thats a moonshot.. Maybe i should sip some Lemonade while i read this thread 😋

SJBoss, Helder_DAlmeida and Dresa91 like this.
  18. Rajeev_ism
    Eclair Mar 30, 2021