Fairphone blames Qualcomm for lack of long-term software support. What's it all about?

1. SJBoss
    Lollipop Mar 30, 2021

SJBoss , Mar 30, 2021 :
    Wrong, it's more about delivering what you promised. Apple does that, Samsung always did it not on time but never neglected. and fairphone just set an example of just that. There would be hardly any criticism even if they didn't provide the Pie but they went out of their way to do it.

On the other hand a OEM that has the largest userbase engaging and helping with everything from Customer Support to Closed beta testing keep coming with excuses.

Every Oneplus device that reached EOL has an effed up last stable update.
    It is, mostly. Even more with OnePlus trying way too hard to break into US Markets.
    It's not tbh, it's just straightforward.
    There's no other way to put it.

2. Drasm19
    Honeycomb Mar 30, 2021

Drasm19 , Mar 30, 2021 :
    Stating facts and pointing out necessary criticism where it's due on this community can easily trigger the Oneplus fanboys.

This isn't a recent phenomenon, it has been like this since OP1 days.

I genuinely want to understand what they get in return for appeasing OnePlus and throwing stones at concerned fellow community members.

If it's simply an act of gratitude towards the company for showering these fanboys with occasional free goodies, even then, they only stand to gain further when company realises its mistakes and tries to work on fixing things.
    All they have to do is not to villify the voices that demand change and not to sugarcoat their responses.

Yet, their unfettered faith urges them to mock, ridicule, attack and silence anyone who posts about real issues that they've been facing.

This kind of unchecked loyalty and blind faith helps OnePlus to shrug off any criticism and shields itself from having to deliver on its promises.

If I could fix one and only one thing about this new Oneplus, it would be this:

Their pathological obsession with over-promising and underdelivering

Mr. BG, B_Wrath, Praty_28 and 3 others like this.
  3. SJBoss
    Lollipop Mar 30, 2021

SJBoss , Mar 30, 2021 :
    Head pats maybe? :rolleyes: Admins liking their post... Or a reply from gods!
    They don't even have to fight their own battles so why bother?
    Sugar coating diplomatic responses "look at the brighter side" soon there won't be any.

4. BobbyV8_
    The Showcase Reviewer Mar 30, 2021

BobbyV8_ , Mar 30, 2021 :
    A small company once worked with a custom ROM & wowed the Android community. Now another small company is doing the same. Looks like it's time for the custom ROM lovers to support another small company and see it doom over for stupid praises.

PR team of that once small company has a big budget, but poor devs - they are still being treated as custom ROM devs and will never get their fair share of budget. Hence the 'what we face' & 'It's not a bug, but feature'

I know you want to scream at the silly reasons of such small companies, but your dignity is stopping you. Don't worry, I have you covered.

@Drasm19 There was once a competition, If you would change one thing with OnePlus, what would that be. You remind me of that. But hey, you know what one thing OnePlus has changed? It's originality. Now moving towards the crowd trying to catch up to the crazy Chinese skinned UI. Going forward, if OOS is replaced by features of Color OS, MIUI with the flavor of OneUI I wouldn't be surprised. And hey, you can also have an iPhone in your OnePlus with the theme center just like on Mi

5. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Mar 30, 2021

YRJ , Mar 30, 2021 :

I think we have drifted away from the intent of the thread. This thread was all about how Fairphone went out of their way to deliver a software update even after the chipset manufacturer ended support for it. This is no way means that OEMs need to feel obligated to do the same. Infact the purpose of this thread was to highlight why long-term support is still a pipedream for android users. There are just too many steps involved. As long as everyone involved does not mutually agree to work for the greater good, I don't see any concrete steps being taken.

That said, I still can't imagine OnePlus, samsung or any other major smartphone company going out of their way to deliver updates for 4-5 years.
    Are you talking about me?

Dresa91 likes this.
  6. _kr_off_
    Cupcake Mar 30, 2021

7. WolfpackN64
    Jelly Bean Mar 30, 2021

WolfpackN64 , Mar 30, 2021 :
    Every Android manufacturer should at least try to match Samsung´s 3 year update policy. That´s one of the main reasons I quickly lost intrest in the N100 when I saw the one year update policy.
    Guess I´ll stick to my OnePlus One a while longer.

8. Leninmadavi125
    Froyo Mar 30, 2021

Leninmadavi125 , via OnePlus 7T , Mar 30, 2021 :
    So you are indirectly saying that Qualcomm chips are not able to support updates for longer time duration...and android cannot give software updates more than 4 years (maximum no. As per samsung) so if we consider oneplus 9 then...it supports major os updates.... for 2 years... security updates fir 3 years...no OIS...no metal frame...no wireless charging...no IP rating...no telephoto lens...not better camera than i phone 11...(oneplus 9's competitor in 50k range)...then what is point to buy a oneplus or any other android phone in this price range?? Plz answer

9. J4t1np4r3kh
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Mar 30, 2021

YRJ likes this.
  10. PrashantKarma
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 31, 2021

11. Vinay Raghvani
    Gingerbread Mar 31, 2021

12. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Mar 31, 2021

YRJ , Mar 31, 2021 :
    1. I didn't say anything indirectly. It's all clearly stated even in bold.
    2. Qualcomm chips ARE capable of supporting long term software updates, but the chip manufacturer is not willing to after 3+1 years.

Dresa91 likes this.
  13. YRJ

YRJ , Mar 31, 2021 :
    Hi there,

What is it that you don't know? (Just the things related to this topic)

Dresa91 likes this.
  14. Leninmadavi125
    Froyo Mar 31, 2021

Leninmadavi125 , via OnePlus 7T , Mar 31, 2021 :
    So it is only problem of chip manufacturers...not of the companies??..and you didn't answer all of my queries.....and want answers on questions regarding oneplus 9 ...plz reply on that one also

15. YRJ

YRJ , Mar 31, 2021 :

I'd suggest you please read the thread again. Still, I'll point you the specific parts:

This is how software updates work

But this is the most important part:
    Even if Qualcomm supports the software updates, the final course of action includes OEMs releasing OTAs for specific devices.

Dresa91 likes this.

16. WolfpackN64
    Jelly Bean Mar 31, 2021

WolfpackN64 , Mar 31, 2021 :
    Not necessarily. If updates add bloat, phones become slower, but software optimizations can make them faster. I´m not sure, but I don´t think Android´s RAM requirements really increased the past few versions, and newer security updates are often a necessity to remain safe with an internet connected device.

17. Thamimansari
    Gingerbread Mar 31, 2021