Fairphone blames Qualcomm for lack of long-term software support. What's it all about?

1. hama_shwan_2004
    Cupcake Mar 31, 2021

YRJ likes this.
  2. Andrei Agulescu
    Donut Mar 31, 2021

Andrei Agulescu , via OnePlus 6T , Mar 31, 2021 :
    So will qualcomm offer 3 years of support for the new snapdragon 888? If so, why does OnePlus only offer 2 years of support while others (like Samsung) offer 3? While OnePlus doesn't have the resources that Samsung has, it's definitely a bigger company than Fairphone so what's their excuse? Their software update speed has been slipping more and more, and not only that but the quality of them has also fallen.

3. Jim19!
    Froyo Apr 1, 2021

YRJ likes this.
  4. hbk1402
    Honeycomb Apr 1, 2021

YRJ and Dresa91 like this.
  5. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Apr 1, 2021

YRJ , Apr 1, 2021 :
    Yup, I had already mentioned that.

Dresa91 and hbk1402 like this.
  6. fami78
    Cupcake Apr 1, 2021

7. K1607605901131
    Cupcake Apr 1, 2021

8. AndyRM
    Gingerbread Apr 1, 2021

AndyRM , via OnePlus 8 Pro Onyx Black , Apr 1, 2021 :
    So what about Lineage? I have read they have Android 11 working on a OnePlus one.

I can buy the economics argument that it gets complicated to support multiple variations of hardware and there are less of the older models to justify the expenditure.

Question for you, which comes first: Are Apple and Samsung supporting phones longer because they grew bigger for other reasons and so can afford it? Or are they bigger because they support customers longer which then encourages repeat business?

I moved from a decade of iPhones to OnePlus last year and was a bit shocked when I only later discovered the support period and seen how long it has taken to roll out oxygen 11 being the 8 series and Nord. I see the decision making and resource commitment on this matter by OnePlus as a real indicator of their likelihood to succeed in the flagship market.

9. bobsta , via OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren Edition , Apr 2, 2021 :
    With resources being finite, we are going to get to a point where we'll have to hold onto our devices for longer and manufacturers will have a big problem in making new devices. The focus is going to be on software and optimising it continuously. Sounds like a scary scenario but it's something that will happen in our life times.

YRJ likes this.
  10. addymore
    Cupcake Apr 2, 2021

11. Xcommunicad0
    Honeycomb Apr 3, 2021

Xcommunicad0 , via OnePlus 8T , Apr 3, 2021 :
    I don't think Apple and Android OEMs are ever going to be on the same page.

For the simple reason that, Apple releases 3-4 versions of iPhones at max every year, while Android OEMs release 10-15 or may be more even and that too most of the Phones are priced almost 1/10th of Apple prices.

As you have rightly mentioned that things are not really just black and white 😀

YRJ likes this.
  12. Dukkied
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 3, 2021

Dukkied , via OnePlus Community App , Apr 3, 2021 :
    I still use my Oneplus One. I think it is stupid thst there is no os update. I use my phone till it is broken and the manafavturer should support that with at least secursty updates.

13. vamsi877
    Cupcake Apr 4, 2021

vamsi877 , via OnePlus 7T , Apr 4, 2021 :
    First think about android 11 upgrade then we can talk about long term upgrades. I am using OP7T, till now I did not receive Android 11 update.

14. U1561030177341
    Donut Apr 4, 2021

15. rajshah2412
    Honeycomb Apr 4, 2021

rajshah2412 , Apr 4, 2021 :
    Great thread @YRJ.
    Everyone should be doing more on the software support aspect and supports products for longer.
    Hope to see 5 years of OnePlus updates in current or future smartphones.

YRJ likes this.
  16. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer; Community Hero 2020 Apr 5, 2021

YRJ , Apr 5, 2021 :
    You aren't terribly off here, with the tech space hinting towards an imminent global silicon shortage your prediction may come true sooner than you'd expect.
    Samsung is even considering delaying/skipping out the next note series.

bobsta likes this.
  17. YRJ

YRJ , Apr 5, 2021 :
    We might be getting close though, with Google expected to be bringing their own silicon, maybe we can achieve a much better hardware+software experience in the android world. Undoubtedly, it will take time to be as refined as Apple but this is a good starting point.

Xcommunicad0 likes this.
  18. YRJ

YRJ , Apr 5, 2021 :
    Hi there,

What exactly do you not understand?

Please note Android 11 rollout has started quite a few days ago. However, it is a staged rollout, meaning some devices will receive it first and a larger rollout will follow. I am not sure, but some users did suggest that the rollout was halted after some major bugs were found. Still, OnePlus hasn't commented on it officially so do take it with a grain of salt.

19. YRJ likes this.
  20. harimadhav
    Honeycomb Apr 9, 2021

YRJ likes this.