[FALSE] NFC SIM Cards: The Solution

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bdangles
    Donut Jul 28, 2015

bdangles , Jul 28, 2015 :
    Hate to cross post from reddit, but I haven't seen this discussed here.

http://www.nearfieldcommunication.org/sd-sim-cards.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/oneplus/comments/3ew4wa/adding_nfc_to_the_oneplus_two_with_an_additional/

I've never used NFC, and it's currently not a big thing so I'm not heart broken over it. Even if mobile payments become big, I am still okay with pulling out my debit card lol. My only fear is that if NFC becomes a standard feature in phones, new technologies will arise and I'm afraid of missing out on cool shit.

The idea is that you have an NFC chip built into a SIM card. This could be a silver bullet to the no-NFC hate.

• OnePlus 2 has dual sims - most users will have their main sim and then could use the second slot for an NFC sim. (Sorry for the real dual sim users)
    • OnePlus could add great support in OxygenOS making it a more compelling OS.
    • Some (I don't know if they work) are being sold on eBay for $10. OnePlus will find a way to make an affordable solution, allowing more profits and happier customers.
    • OnePlus is about the community and its fans, they want to make things right and this could be a huge apology from them.

Desipient, raevilman, spooke and 7 others like this.
  2. JustDenDimi
    Gingerbread Jul 28, 2015

JustDenDimi , Jul 28, 2015 :
    Well, if anyone tries it, let me know if it works, NFC isn't a big deal to me, but if it has the full functionality, then sure, I'm interested. ^^

Ceasedd and Abdo_Ba like this.
  3. KTGFIN
    Cupcake Jul 28, 2015

4. hot_as_fire
    Jelly Bean Jul 28, 2015

hot_as_fire , Jul 28, 2015 :
    Nice find, and yes with dual SIM phone, this could be a great solution for those, to who NFC is a need on their phone :)

Ceasedd and sagar452 like this.
  5. imattv4
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 28, 2015

imattv4 , Jul 28, 2015 :
    In a way im not surprised that they didnt include NFC.

Mobile payments will take a while to get popular.. Heck, looking at how much of an influence Apple had with Apple Pay, yet I havnt seen it used in person yet.

We have a good few years of waiting. The OP3 will provide us with such technology in due time ^^

Ceasedd and rphlfjrd like this.
  6. jelcon
    Cupcake Jul 28, 2015

jelcon , Jul 28, 2015 :
    NFC is not only usefull for payments... I use it all the time with my high end camera to share snapshots with friends, as it enables easy coupling with bluetooth devices and such...

7. logan989
    Gingerbread Jul 28, 2015

logan989 , Jul 28, 2015 :
    I do the same thing, I use it as a remote shutter for both my Panasonic and Nikon. I no longer have to setup the timer! But if sim/NFC is the future then OPO is on to something with a dual-sim port!!

armisis, jelcon and geekingreen like this.
  8. mark6amal
    Gingerbread Jul 28, 2015

mark6amal , Jul 28, 2015 :
    Dear Oneplus and fans,

I would like to make a proposal for NFC. This would require no physical hardware changes but an add on. Lately I be seeing speculation of Sim enabled NFC. So here is my idea, the fact that there will be a handful of oneplus two user that won't be utilizing the dual sim feature. Oneplus creates a special sim, that only enables NFC on the phone. Not an cell service but just NFC. Maybe more features along with this.

Sincerely,
    Marcus
    Please view this link
    http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/105683-nfc-enabled-sim-cards-to-become-a-worldwide-standard
    please feel free to add to the idea

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015

9. rigrx
    Honeycomb Jul 28, 2015

Rocket and loulouboy like this.
  10. loulouboy
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 28, 2015

loulouboy , Jul 28, 2015 :
    Or one of there swapstyle backs can have built in NfC and qi charging. Makes more sense

11. sleepdragonone
    KitKat Jul 28, 2015

sleepdragonone , Jul 28, 2015 :
    Sure, that's such a good idea, and then they charge you $100 for it.

armisis, loulouboy and Niff_ like this.
  12. mark6amal
    Gingerbread Jul 28, 2015

Sims are usually only about 5 dollars

arturyatsko and armisis like this.
  13. inffy
    KitKat Jul 28, 2015

inffy , Jul 28, 2015 :
    And what money will they use to develop these sims and make them work with all countries ISPs?

hulabalua likes this.
  14. aesthe
    Cupcake Jul 28, 2015

aesthe , Jul 28, 2015 :
    yea, it really seems like there's a lot of potential is extra products they can create in order to appease to the NFC users. i think not having it in the phone itself is okay since that guarantees lower cost for the majority. then an added product to provide for those who would like to use an NFC feature. hopefully, this is really the case.

15. mark6amal
    Gingerbread Jul 28, 2015

My sincere apogies, I should ofmade it clear that it was just a thought. I'm not sure how they would excite this

16. LinkSurvivor1
    Froyo Jul 28, 2015

LinkSurvivor1 , Jul 28, 2015 :
    What if they make it compatible with no ISPs? The phone is dual SIM after all. One will just enable NFC while the other is for your ISP.

Kisko likes this.
  17. dianestory2
    Froyo Jul 28, 2015

dianestory2 , Jul 28, 2015 :
    I'm not sure if that would work... I'm a doctor, Jim, not an NFC sidestepping technician.

18. veratoloz2005
    Lollipop Jul 28, 2015

19. mario_rep
    Honeycomb Jul 28, 2015

20. Adrien G--P
    Froyo Jul 28, 2015

Adrien G--P , Jul 28, 2015 :
    Good ideas, could be interesting to develop. NFC isn't usefull to everyone so a possibility to add it only if you want is ok.

aesthe likes this.