[FALSE] NFC SIM Cards: The Solution

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyndercide
    Froyo Aug 3, 2015

Cyndercide , Aug 3, 2015 :
    I hate to necro a thread as much as the next guy, but this is the most up to date SIM card thread that, still, doesn't answer a question regarding these chips.

I work in a store that deals with phone carriers and setting up of phones and the likes. As such, we carry SIM cards as well (micro and nano). Some of them are labelled as NFC SIM cards, and some aren't. What I'm trying to figure out is: would that activate NFC for the entire phone?

2. EngineerGunter
    Froyo Aug 3, 2015

EngineerGunter , Aug 3, 2015 :
    So the way NFC works is via two copper coils, one big one that receives the radio waves that power the accompanied chip that houses information, and then there's a second, smaller coil that acts as a broadcasting antenna that sends the data the chip holds. So, the OnePlus Two not having NFC means that the physical coils aren't there. An NFC SIM card would house the necessary coils and chip (heck, it might actually get its power from the phone).

Anyway, the way I understand it, NFC in a SIM card is the carrier's way of controlling NFC payments. There would have to be support in the OS and a card that was dedicated to being only NFC for it to work otherwise.

Long story short and to maybe answer your question, an NFC ready SIM card would just be a way to make mobile payments via the cell provider. Without that SIM card, it would totally depend on your phone's hardware whether or not it has NFC.

So I would love to see both an NFC-only SIM card and support in Oxygen/Android OS for such a card in the future. If such a card doesn't exist, I bet it would be a great Kickstarter campaign...

shekar163 and Cyndercide like this.
  3. Superbrowndude
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 3, 2015

4. EngineerGunter
    Froyo Aug 3, 2015

I genuinely appreciate your sincere insight.

5. Hamade
    Honeycomb Aug 3, 2015

Hamade , Aug 3, 2015 :
    Why not, lets have a new startup to cover the mistakes of another startup!
    Seriously if NFC is something that you are looking to have on your next phone, then just get a phone that supports NFC, OP removed that option on the basis that most of the users don't use it, they were aware that they might loose some of the potential customers due to the lack of NFC, and I believe that this step was a calculated risk that they decided to take

shekar163 likes this.
  6. EngineerGunter
    Froyo Aug 3, 2015

I suppose I should make it clear that I intend to buy the OnePlus Two regardless of its lack of NFC. I have never been more loyal to a brand than OnePlus. I just felt for all the belly-aching and butthurt people that have chosen to single out this one thing... Such a shame that people feel so entitled to get their nickers in a bunch over this when OnePlus is doing an amazing job delivering a great phone practically at cost having only started as a company a little over 1.5 years ago. If you want your precious NFC, pay a little more and get a new Moto X. Otherwise, if you're like me and want to stay with OnePlus, buy the Two, and either live without the NFC or find (or make) a 3rd party solution.

shekar163 and Hamade like this.
  7. nigelhealy
    KitKat Aug 3, 2015

nigelhealy , Aug 3, 2015 :
    I have on good authority that NFC SIMs will magically somehow without any hardware support manage to jump from the SIM into the Android Pay software and work reliably.

That good authority:

[​IMG]

Superbrowndude and carl_gadget like this.
  8. Cyndercide
    Froyo Aug 3, 2015

Cyndercide , Aug 3, 2015 :
    Thank you for honestly answering the question instead of being sarcastic and stuff!

I'm buying the OnePlus Two no matter what, I was just curious based on what NFC SIM cards were doing and such. Though, as I'm going to have a wallet case, android pay won't be a big deal for me. =D

EngineerGunter and shekar163 like this.
  9. psj2013
    Honeycomb Aug 3, 2015

psj2013 , Aug 3, 2015 :
    Normally i would agree - search but. NFC must be the most common letters on the forum now. :D

10. Toby Tanfield
    Gingerbread Aug 22, 2015

Toby Tanfield , Aug 22, 2015 :
    Want to get straight to the point? Skip to paragraph two!

I'm sure we are all a little disipointed to here that the OnePlus two won't be coming with NFC. Of cource iPhones for years havn't had NFC and they had never had an up roar! But because Android users love their NFC we have all gone berzerk! Don't worry I'm getting to the genius point! People have tried to counter the emmision of NFC with cases which include the wanted chip. But they were always bulky and cheap, and who wants to cover up the sandstone back cover? Right?

But I uncovered that sim-cards are the answer! Very shortly (if not now) NFC chips will be placed in sim cards keeping the size the same! Here's a URL to a place which can tell you a bit about it:
    http://www.nearfieldcommunication.org/sd-sim-cards.html.

And as well a place for you to buy one perhaps?
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=n...h=559#espvd=1&spd=15429867268181726005&spud=0

11. Skf123
    Marshmallow Aug 22, 2015

12. SEEDER827
    Froyo Aug 22, 2015

13. Me1256
    KitKat Aug 22, 2015

Me1256 , Aug 22, 2015 :
    They exist, but are very rare, and hard to find. Some members of this forum actually contacted them directly, and they were told that they could not supply them with these sims.

Dr. Indest and Gonzo01 like this.
  14. Gall1200
    Honeycomb Aug 22, 2015

Chugz likes this.
  15. matthewtaylor1995
    Honeycomb Aug 22, 2015

16. Toby Tanfield
    Gingerbread Aug 22, 2015

17. Chugz
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 22, 2015

Chugz , Aug 22, 2015 :
    Na, Moto X Style all the way.

18. borichamehul5
    Froyo Aug 24, 2015

borichamehul5 , Aug 24, 2015 :
    I was stumbling the internet about NFC. I found out that NFC can be enable on a Non-NFC phone using SIM card or Memory Card. Isn't it awesome.

Source 1: http://www.nearfieldcommunication.org/sd-sim-cards.html

Source 2: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Android-iPhone-NFC-MasterCard-PayPass,news-13857.html

This mean we can get NFC on OnePlus. I think for this reason(NFC can be added externally) OnePlus decided to omit NFC in OnePlus.

I have also found out that virgin mobiles are selling NFC enabled nano-sim @ $5 in US and Canada.

Source : http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/phones/sim-details.html?model=nfcsimnano&contractTerm=MTH

Also do google this keyword "nfc with sim"

Please do share your views on this.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015

pavanraghuv likes this.
  19. The Official Joker
    Honeycomb Aug 24, 2015

hazzavg, HR_778 and Tyronnster like this.
  20. HR_778
    KitKat Aug 24, 2015