Family Sharing...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMystic
    Lollipop May 16, 2017

TheMystic , May 16, 2017 :
    The idea here is to encourage people to buy apps and stop pirating them by using Lucky Patcher or other means. Developers spend time and money to make apps so that the revenue from these would support their families, as for many this could well be the primary or only source of income.

If you are among the ones who just can't make up your mind to buy an app, I hope you will be able to make up your mind and buy an app using the method described below because that would not only support the developers for the work already done, but also encourage them to come up with better apps in future that will ultimately benefit us!

I'm aware this is not an ideal solution, but I believe it would boost revenues for developers. A cost paid for a larger benefit in return.

This by no means is to encourage piracy, but actually to discourage it by paying a small price.

The best way for sharing apps with family on any platform - iOS, Android and Windows Mobile is to create a separate account that can be used on all devices. This means creating an iCloud account for iOS, Gmail account for Android and an Outlook (Microsoft) account for Windows and use these accounts EXCLUSIVELY for purchasing apps.

Setup the accounts in each family member’s device and every app purchased will be available for download on every device. Just bear in mind the maximum number of devices permitted under each platform (usually sufficient for any family).

The primary advantage of this method over other methods such as "family sharing" feature is the fact that this makes “in-app” purchases available on all devices (family sharing doesn't allow this). Further, this works on far more devices as well as on all platforms (there is no “family sharing” feature yet on Google in many countries).

The disadvantage of this method is the fact that anyone can make purchases using your card account since the account is setup on all devices. To prevent this, it is quite simple:

Limit this method only to very close family members

Do not give the password for this account, especially children

Require authorisation for every purchase. This also has the benefit of preventing purchases by mistake.

The best thing for you to do would still be to buy one app per person and use "family sharing" feature where available. The above method is the least you can do to support developers for our own benefits.

Last edited: May 16, 2017

2. pa5t1s
    User of the Year 2014 May 16, 2017

pa5t1s , May 16, 2017 :
    Thanks for the advices... Not sure about the thread's Section tho... Off-topic?

meatandy and varma246 like this.
  3. elanglois
    Lollipop May 16, 2017

elanglois , May 16, 2017 :
    Uhmm ... Google specifically has a Family plan. You can add and delete people and control your kids access to mature content and/or paid apps.

There is no need to create a dummy account for the family.

4. elanglois
    Lollipop May 16, 2017

elanglois , May 16, 2017 :
    Your argument about in app purchases may be taken as piracy which is strictly forbidden here. In app purchases are per user so you are depriving the author of income and that's piracy.

There is also the problem that some settings, particularly game progress, is tied to the Google Account, so sharing this way can be problematic.

5. Nithin_Joseph
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 16, 2017

sfomin and pa5t1s like this.
  6. TheMystic
    Lollipop May 16, 2017

it isn't available in all countries. in fact, currently it is available only on very few countries.

7. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member May 16, 2017

dsmonteiro , May 16, 2017 :
    I'm pretty much sure that what you're telling people to do is against the ToS of those stores and as such, not only is something you shouldn't be telling people to do, but it's also forbidden by this Forum's terms and rules.

It might even end up causing the termination of said accounts, with loss of the paid apps.

8. dsmonteiro

Apple's Terms and Conditions:

meatandy and Heisenberg_009 like this.
  9. TheMystic
    Lollipop May 16, 2017

thanks for pointing that out.

recently, I read an article where they said that Microsoft did not go after piracy as much as one would expect because, through piracy, they gained in many ways because it helped them reach the masses. that way they ensured their competition can't eat into their market.

if people who use pirated apps or use lucky patcher to unlock features can start using this method, it will benefit the developer community in a very big way and they won't mind it for a good number of years from now.

those who have some sense of guilt when stealing apps can also breathe a little easy since they can justify their money spent because it benefits their entire family.

10. TheMystic
    Lollipop May 16, 2017

check above.

agree with what you have just said.

11. dsmonteiro

It's still against the terms and conditions of those services and as such should not be something to recommend to other people.

You can say it's good piracy, but it's still wrong.

12. TheMystic
    Lollipop May 16, 2017

there are plenty of videos on YouTube on this subject. why hasn't Google removed them?

13. dsmonteiro

So that's your argument? I just showed you what you are proposing is infringing Apple's T&C. I could also quote the rest of the bunch.
    It's against the T&C, therefore is not a legal use of the service, therefore it can result in termination of the service.

YouTube videos are of no consequence to the matter.

sfomin likes this.
  14. TheMystic
    Lollipop May 16, 2017

that isn't my argument. I told you I agree with what you said.

but I was wondering why such videos are allowed on YouTube.

is Google itself doing what Microsoft has been doing?

videos like these could be bringing in lots of ad revenue to Google. so may be Google is playing along because it is benefitting them at the cost of developer income.

15. toastytoast1234
    Marshmallow May 16, 2017

toastytoast1234 , May 16, 2017 :
    In 2012 there were ~60 hours of video uploaded to YouTube every minute. That's over 600 now, and no doubt still increasing.

How do you propose they police that?

16. dsmonteiro

There's a lot of videos of illegal contents. Some, that have copyrighted audio or video, are easily identifiable and removed, others are more of a grey area and stay online longer. People would have to manually report those videos enough times to raise a red flag.

17. TheMystic
    Lollipop May 16, 2017

well, I agree with you and I don't intend supporting piracy.

if everyone can do something like this instead of using lucky patcher or other means to steal apps, the biggest beneficiary will be the developer community, and for years to come. just wanted to help them out in as little way as I can.

do you guys have an idea? a better one?

18. camohan
    Nougat Moderator May 16, 2017

camohan , May 16, 2017 :
    Its as good as stealing an app. A developer could earn from 4 members thru 4 sales but now only 1.
    If you or anyone really care, go and but the app they don't cost a fortune.

19. dsmonteiro

People that use lucky patcher will not stop using it because of a shared account. Best case scenario, they will do both. Worst case scenario, they will illegally download the app and use lucky patcher for purchases, while also using an ad blocker so free apps don't have ads.

Cheap people will be cheap. There's no excuse for piracy in handheld devices. Apps are dirt cheap and you always have free alternatives with ads as monetization.

20. toastytoast1234
    Marshmallow May 16, 2017

toastytoast1234 , May 16, 2017 :
    No you didn't.

How exactly is that intended to help devs?

How about not just regurgitating some crap you saw on "plenty of youtube videos"?