Family Sharing...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heisenberg_009
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 16, 2017

Heisenberg_009 , May 16, 2017 :
    The problem with your argument is Microsoft makes a ton of money through OEM version of Windows but that's not the case with Developers. Their apps are priced lower than the price for their efforts owing to competition. And many Android Developers yield to it and offer free version filled with ads instead of paid version which can be better and also encourages developers to create content in a platform. Android's market share is very high but we still see that many apps first make it to the Apple Store rather than Play store due to rampant piracy and a developer feeling that he can make more via Apple Store than Android Store.

2. TheMystic
    Lollipop May 16, 2017

TheMystic , May 16, 2017 :
    the reality is not as simple as you have stated.

they may buy a paid app if they see that their whole family is benefitting, as opposed to not buying it at all. so this way, the developer makes at least one sale per family as opposed to none. just imagine how many families are yet to begin using smartphone and how many of those using it have purchased an app. the penetration level is still very low and there is a massive benefit in waiting for developers if people show some amount of support and gratitude.

developers would do well to provide a family price where the app is priced slightly higher to enable installation on multiple (say 4) devices, just like we have for PC softwares.

3. Heisenberg_009

Isn't that how Family sharing works on Apple Store and Play Store? What I am against is using an account by many people as it seriously limits the Developer's income.

4. toastytoast1234
    Marshmallow May 16, 2017

toastytoast1234 , May 16, 2017 :
    And if they want to do that, that's their choice. If they choose not to do it, that still doesn't justify stealing.

That's what she said.

5. TheMystic
    Lollipop May 16, 2017

do you have a solution?

it limits their income - true.

but if you don't allow a lenient method, where both users and developers can benefit, a win-win situation, people will continue to steal. and developers will be the ultimate losers.

6. camohan
    Nougat Moderator May 16, 2017

camohan , May 16, 2017 :
    Not convinced.

7. TheMystic
    Lollipop May 16, 2017

you know what, you like criticizing views. that part is fine. but what is actually required is an alternative "solution" which is better. haven't seen you make one meaningful comment. as always.

8. TheMystic
    Lollipop May 16, 2017

not too difficult if you do some Google search.

9. Heisenberg_009

Why do you think the process is not lenient? Most Apps are priced fairly in the Play store and in many cases cheaper than their counterpart in the Apple Store. Apps are also discounted many times an year. What else do you want?

DrAakash and toastytoast1234 like this.
  10. toastytoast1234
    Marshmallow May 16, 2017

You mean people like you?

We already have a win-win situation. Apps are cheap or free, but that's still not good enough for some people.

11. camohan
    Nougat Moderator May 16, 2017

camohan , May 16, 2017 :
    Stealing in any form for whatever reasons is not justifiable or convincing.

toastytoast1234 likes this.
  12. TheMystic
    Lollipop May 16, 2017

with the amount of money I have spent on apps, I can buy one of the best smartphones. so don't give me your shit each time. keep it to yourself if it helps you in any way.

you think everyone thinks like you, lives in a country like you where the product price to income ratio is negligible (personally I agree apps are very cheap and not many people think like me either). besides you haven't given an idea to boost sales.

yes, we all want that people should buy an app if they like it. but what people actually do is steal it if they can. do you have an idea to make them buy instead of stealing? none so far.

Apple, Google, Microsoft, etc very well know these facts and the fact that they allow you to use your account on multiple devices (often too large for any family - I think the minimum itself is 8. tell me which person uses 8 devices. and that is the minimum. the actual figure is much higher) is itself a step to encourage people to buy apps and may be use it for their families too.

instead of just making an announcement or just taking a moral ground on the subject, come up with an idea that will provide compelling reasons to people to start buying them and stop stealing.

13. TheMystic
    Lollipop May 16, 2017

give an idea, if you have one. my previous statement applies to you as well.

14. toastytoast1234
    Marshmallow May 16, 2017

It's not my job to come up with a new business model for mobile app developers, and as far as I know it isn't yours either.

Read your first post again, and tell me how that was supposed to be of any assistance to app developers?

If "Apple, Google, Microsoft etc" already have an official mechanism for supporting multiple installs, why are you trying to subvert that?

15. TheMystic
    Lollipop May 16, 2017

why does anyone of you think these companies have brought in the "family sharing" feature?

16. TheMystic
    Lollipop May 16, 2017

read my comments again and they will clarify your point. and use some facts and common sense, do some Google search if you want independent studies and statistics.

and like I said earlier, if you don't have a better idea, then wait until you have one.

17. Heisenberg_009

@Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Please understand that if we don't come up with a solution, doesn't make yours any better. This is like arguing that since we can't prove that God doesn't exist, he exists. Anyway, this is something much more complex as it involves convincing people to do something to which they are always reluctant and spare a second thought towards doing it. Better marketing and offering long term benefits should be primary contenders among other things if you ask me.

DrAakash and toastytoast1234 like this.
  18. toastytoast1234
    Marshmallow May 16, 2017

Presumably they crunched the numbers based on extensive market research and an analysis of billions of purchases from their stores. Once they did that, they came up with any sharing plans they have now.

Do you have access to that data? If not, why do you think your 'solution' is better than the ones they implemented?

Heisenberg_009 likes this.
  19. shrineels10
    Honeycomb May 16, 2017

shrineels10 , May 16, 2017 :
    Why did you have to point finger there? That accusatory tone would just disrupt an otherwise healthy conversation (not considering the nature of topic) . He asked a question in a good tone dude.. sad!

Last edited: May 16, 2017

20. TheMystic
    Lollipop May 16, 2017

simply taking up a stance and not coming up with a practical solution won't help either.

you are from India. you know how they try to tackle the Naxals and Maoists. ideally, they should all be caught and punished. but that isn't working. so the government tries to persuade them to surrender voluntarily and offers them immunity for crime committed and an opportunity to rebuild their lives.

this is not the ideal solution. but seems to be the only practical and feasible one for now. at least it can get some of those people to surrender.