Family Sharing...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shrineels10
    Honeycomb May 16, 2017

shrineels10 , May 16, 2017 :
    Reading between the lines and eliminating negatives,

So far intention has been to help developers.

The first post highlights a loophole in the system-adding account on multiple devices.

Later on a suggesstion about differential family pricing to let more than one user access.

Then about possible methods of increasing the purchase of apps and thereby helping developers..

And a lot of unwanted posts in between...

2. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop May 16, 2017

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , May 16, 2017 :
    sorry dude. my mistake.

I was just constantly replying and misread your statement, although that's no excuse.

again, while I agree this isn't an ideal solution, I am looking at those people who just can't make up their mind in buying the paid app and eventually resort to pirating it. if these people can now start buying them, there is a huge benefit for the developers.

besides, remember that this is technology. growing fast and changing fast. may be 10 or 20 years down the road, we may have completely new technologies and gadgets and these apps may never be needed again.

so do whatever it takes to reach out to as many people as possible. that was the whole idea.

3. Heisenberg_009
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 16, 2017

Heisenberg_009 , May 16, 2017 :
    A lot of "unwanted" posts in between actually show why @Sridhar Ananthanarayanan 's solution is not correct and healthy for developer's community.

4. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop May 16, 2017

thank you. wouldn't mind either if I don't see you again.

5. shrineels10
    Honeycomb May 16, 2017

Th
    The unwanted posts i referred to were from the person who started the thread only!

Most of the other posts are responses and the tone is reflective of the tone of the person who kept posting their defence. They all say almost the same thing.

6. shrineels10
    Honeycomb May 16, 2017

This tone would have helped a lot and probably brought in novel new ideas too.

7. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop May 16, 2017

just want to ask you and others.

there are ad supported free apps. people can easily use ad blocker to get rid of them.

usually, the corresponding paid version unlocks some of the features in addition to getting rid of the ads.

now people who want these features can either buy them or pirate them. piracy is way too large compared to purchasing apps.

how do you intend bringing/ encouraging these people who resort to piracy to start buying the apps?

the companies have already implemented/ beginning to implement the "family sharing" feature. precisely to address this problem.

is there another way to make it work even more?

given a choice, I would recommend every one to buy apps and use family sharing feature when available. but when that doesn't happen, there is a large section of the market there that would be happy to buy an app when they realize that it may benefit the whole family. so if they begin to buy apps, just one per family, that is millions of dollars per year for the next few years. and for whom? the developers!

the idea was to primarily tap that section of the market who would otherwise not buy it at all, or resort to pirating it.

8. shrineels10
    Honeycomb May 16, 2017

Isnt this for the developers to choose and implement? How will this be a user's headache?

9. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop May 16, 2017

I would appreciate if you could point out when my tone was unacceptable.

I'm entitled to defending my views, as always with full respect, unless provoked.

10. jizang
    Lollipop May 16, 2017

jizang , May 16, 2017 :
    You DO know there are Alternatives in GETTING apps for FREE!. Technical I have not SPEND a penny of my OWN cash in getting apps, yet all my apps are LEGAL.

1st use google rewards and get paid for answers and then use the $$$ to pay for apps

2nd (out of date / EXPIRED) collect AMAZON coins and then use the coins to pay for apps

3rd use Amazon underground, FREE APPS

4th paypal will do promotions in getting free cash to use on google play

shrineels10 likes this.
  11. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop May 16, 2017

this is isn't a headache for users.

but if users can act with some responsibility, as opposed to none, towards the developer community, it won't hurt them while at the same time help the developers come up with better products.

12. shrineels10
    Honeycomb May 16, 2017

I do know a couple of apps that havent been, as far as i know, pirated. The paid versions come at a minimal cost too. Im not naming any app in pirticular. But that is for the dev to choose. Not the user.

13. Heisenberg_009

I agree with you that more people should invest in the play store by purchasing apps. As I've been telling you, suggesting multiple individuals to use a single account is another form of piracy and we're trying to fight piracy. Let's say we do the above and people start buying apps in a single account for use of multiple individuals. How does the situation improve from there on? The only way I see would be Google to force something like 2 phones and 1 tablet per account which can be counter productive for many people including me as my google account currently has 4 devices, 2 for my use and 2 for experimenting.

shrineels10 likes this.
  14. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop May 16, 2017

Google rewards are available only to a limited number of countries.

not everyone has a PayPal account.

you are limiting yourself to Android. there are other platforms too.

15. shrineels10
    Honeycomb May 16, 2017

Its human to go for the best deal available. Policing wont work well. If the app is well priced, unique and a must have, people will buy it!

Heisenberg_009 likes this.
  16. jizang
    Lollipop May 16, 2017

jizang , May 16, 2017 :
    LMAO, I don't talk out of my arse if I don't have experience on other platforms. Only going on experience. REALLY my last post on this as you seem to be arguing for argument sake

DrAakash and sfomin like this.
  17. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop May 16, 2017

when did I disagree with what you are saying now?

you don't seem to accept the fact that there is a very large section of people, who don't buy a paid app because they don't seem to justify the purchase (despite the fact that most apps are super cheap). if, by some means, you can show that their whole family Will benefit from that purchase, it is likely they will buy. not all, but many would. that is enough to keep the money flowing to developers for the next few years.

and remember what I said earlier:

"besides, remember that this is technology. growing fast and changing fast. may be 10 or 20 years down the road, we may have completely new technologies and gadgets and these apps may never be needed again.

so do whatever it takes to reach out to as many people as possible. that was the whole idea".

18. Heisenberg_009

Your "About You" is hilarious :p

sfomin likes this.
  19. Heisenberg_009

These are my previous posts and contrary to what you've said about me, I did say that people are reluctant to spend and spare a second thought towards spending towards apps. I would like to add to the above posts that Family Sharing by both Google and Apple are solutions to address this particular problem and I also agree that both are half baked. Instead the choice should be left to the app developer; whether he/she chooses to allow the app to be shared among family members. Also, I'm reiterating that sharing a single account among multiple individuals is NOT a solution as your first post in this thread suggests.

20. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop May 16, 2017

we have our views.

I have edited my opening lines though just to clarify my position.

I'm confident that if people who are just short of buying apps can see a larger benefit and end up buying them, even with the method described here, it will still benefit developers for many years to come.