[FAQ] Frequently Asked Questions (Including Carrier Compatibility)

1. nickmurphyphotos
    Froyo May 1, 2014

nickmurphyphotos , May 1, 2014 :
    If you have questions, please read this thread first. If you can't find your answer here, check out the Official OnePlus FAQ and the OnePlus One Specifications. In addition, please see what we know so far.

How to navigate this thread:
    • Links will appear in red. I've attempted to make all links inline to improve readability.
    • You can see a quote in the context of its original thread by clicking the red up-arrow next to the quoted poster's name (example below).
    Ready to get started? Click a heading below to scroll directly to that topic.

Availability
    • How can I get a OnePlus One?
    • Why shouldn't I just buy a phone from scalpers, instead of waiting for an invite?
    • When will I be able to get a OnePlus One?
    • What are the initial 16 launch countries?
    • Will I be able to purchase a OnePlus One even if I don't live in one of the initial 16 launch countries?
    • How much will shipping cost, and how long will it take?
    • What is the warranty and return policy for the OnePlus One?
    • Will the OnePlus One be officially sold by any carriers or other third parties?
    • Why can't I get the 16GB model in black, or the 64GB model in white?
    • When will official accessories be available, and how much will they cost?
    • Are the wood back covers made out of actual wood or plastic?
    Invites
    • Why is OnePlus using an invite system?
    • Why doesn't OnePlus use a pre-order system instead?
    • Are invites available now?
    • How can I get an invite?
    • Is there a list where I can sign up for an invite?
    • How will invites be distributed?
    • How long will invites be valid?
    • Will there be invites for both variants (16GB and 64GB)?
    • Will an invite be for a specific variant (i.e. either for 16GB or 64GB model)?
    • How many invites can I give away?
    • When do I receive invites to give away?
    Design Decisions
    • What sets the OnePlus One apart from other flagship phones with similar specs?
    • Why did OnePlus say they managed to fit a 5.5" screen into a 5" phone, yet the OnePlus One is similar in size to other phones with 5.5" screens?
    • Will OnePlus make a smaller variant of the OnePlus One (or a tablet) within the year?
    • Why did OnePlus decide not to include a MicroSD card slot in the OnePlus One?
    • Why won't the OnePlus support LTE band 20?
    • Why is the battery non-removable?
    • Where is the "mystery battery tech"?
    Company
    • Is OnePlus owned by Oppo?
    • How can OnePlus sell the One for such a low price?
    • Where can I read the story of OnePlus?
    • How can I help OnePlus succeed in disrupting the cell phone market?
    Media Coverage
    • Where can I find full reviews of the retail OnePlus One?
    • Where can I find articles with impressions about the OnePlus One?
    • Where can I find hands-on impressions posted by forum users?
    • Where can I find hands-on videos of the OnePlus One?
    • Where can I find pictures of the OnePlus One?
    Hardware
    • Does the OnePlus One have [insert feature here]?
    • Will the OnePlus One work on my carrier?
    • Will OnePlus consider making a CDMA version for Verizon and Sprint?
    • Where can I find samples images taken by the OnePlus One?
    • What are the differences between the international and the Chinese versions of the OnePlus One?
    • What are the SAR values of the OnePlus One?
    • How good is the audio quality of the phone earpiece and the external speakers?
    • What kind of audio hardware does the OnePlus One have?
    • Why are there reports of the OnePlus One having a yellow screen?
    Software
    • How much free space will the 16GB OnePlus One have out of the box?
    • What custom ROMs will be available for the OnePlus One?
    • Where can I learn more about rooting and installing custom ROMs?
    • Will it be possible to create custom "screen-off" gestures, similar to the Oppo Find 7?
    • When can I say "OK, OnePlus" instead of "OK, Snapdragon"?
    • Where can I report bugs or suggest features or improvements to CyanogenMod?
    Forum
    • How should I conduct myself on this forum?
    • What should I do before creating a thread?
    • What if I feel like goofing off and posting random stuff?
    • Can you point me to some helpful threads?
    • Where can I thank the OnePlus staff for their dedication to the OnePlus One?
    • How do I increase my rank on the forum?
    Carrier Compatibility
    • Which carriers is the OnePlus One compatible with?
    I welcome all suggestions to improve this list so that it can be a go-to source for anyone with questions about OnePlus and the OnePlus One. Please ask questions I may not have considered, list sources that help answer questions (both already listed and newly suggested), and point out any mistakes so I can correct them.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014

2. nickmurphyphotos
    Froyo May 1, 2014

Availability

How can I get a OnePlus One?
    Receive an invite to purchase a OnePlus One. Then, follow the instructions listed under How to Buy.

Why shouldn't I just buy a phone from scalpers, instead of waiting for an invite?
    Jerry gives us five reasons not to buy the OnePlus One from scalpers.

When will I be able to get a OnePlus One?

Production of the 16GB Silk White has been postponed in favor of producing only 64GB Sandstone Black until an unspecified time. Carl has written A Few Words on Production Capacity to explain why initial availability of the OnePlus One is so limited. In addition, he's given us more details in the July Plan for Early Supporters, saying early supporters will start receiving invites beginning July 7.
    (Update: Early supporter invites have begun rolling out.)

What are the initial 16 launch countries?
    [​IMG]

Will I be able to purchase a OnePlus One if I don't live in one of the initial 16 launch countries?
    The quoted post (click the red arrow to see the entire post in its original thread) also appears to clarify that OnePlus will not limit invites solely to residents of the launch countries, but will make them available worldwide regardless of the recipient's country of residence.

@slope made a great thread showing us how to order a OnePlus One even if we don't live in one of the 16 launch countries.

How much will shipping cost, and how long will it take?
    @techwiz1897 e-mailed OnePlus to ask about shipping costs, and received this response regarding shipping in the U.S.:
    OnePlus FAQ said:
    Update: I ordered my OnePlus One on July 8, and the only option available for shipping (to Texas) was "Standard." This cost $11.99, and the phone (and accessories I added) were shipped on July 9 via USPS 2-Day Priority Mail. I received the phone on July 11. USPS Priority Mail charges vary slightly depending on where in the U.S. you're shipping to, so it's unclear whether OnePlus is charging a flat rate for shipping or scaling it based on the actual cost to ship via USPS. As for other regions, I don't know what the shipping costs are.

What is the warranty and return policy for the OnePlus One?
    Find your answer on the warranty and return policy page.

Will the OnePlus One be officially sold by any carriers or other third parties?
    No. Any third parties that are selling the OnePlus One are not sanctioned by OnePlus, and the devices they sell will not be covered by OnePlus's warranty.

Why can't I get the 16GB model in black, or the 64GB model in white?
    Carl said: "Each new SKU (product variant) introduces additional risk, cost, and complexity into our operations. That's why we have to focus on satisfying majority needs [over] minority needs."

However, according to David S., "you will not be able to buy the 64GB version in white right away, but you will be able to get a Silk White StyleSwap cover."

Accessories

When will official accessories (StyleSwap covers, cases, etc.) be available, and how much will they cost?
    David S. said: "I can't give you dates nor price at the moment." He followed up by saying, "We will be introducing each of our accessories in our forums as soon as they become available."

Currently, there are four accessories (Screen Protector, Flip Cover, Protective Case, and Clear Case) listed on the accessories page of the OnePlus webstore (if the item is out of stock, it won't appear on that page).

It looks like the wood StyleSwap covers may be available starting July 22.

Are the wood back covers made out of actual wood or plastic?
    Carl said, "It's a layer of actual wood on top of a polycarbonate shell."

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014

3. nickmurphyphotos
    Froyo May 1, 2014

Invites

Why is OnePlus using an invite system?
    Carl detailed OnePlus's reasons for using this method in The OnePlus Invite System.

Why doesn't OnePlus use a pre-order system instead?
    OnePlus is currently working on developing a pre-order system.

How can I get an invite?
    David S. said:
    Is there a list where I can sign up for an invite?
    There are many threads with unofficial invite lists. (Be smart and think before posting personal info. If someone asks for an e-mail address, consider asking that people send you a Forum PM. That way, your e-mail address is kept private. There have been instances of people trying to sell unofficial fan t-shirts by sending e-mails to people who have made their address public.)

How will invites be distributed?
    How long will invites be valid?
    Will there be invites for both variants (16GB and 64GB)?
    Yes. Currently, only invites for the 64GB Sandstone Black model are available.

Will an invite be for a specific variant (i.e. either for 16GB or 64GB model)?
    Yes.

How many invites can I give away?
    When do I receive invites to give away?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014

4. nickmurphyphotos
    Froyo May 1, 2014

Design Decisions

What sets the OnePlus One apart from other flagship phones with similar specs?
    David S. said:
    Why did OnePlus say they managed to fit a 5.5" screen into a 5" phone, yet the OnePlus One is similar in size to other phones with 5.5" screens?
    I couldn't find a direct answer to this question (or rather, a response to the implication that OnePlus misled its fans). However, @David S. provided an explanation of OnePlus's approach to determining the optimal screen size. @Pete also explained some of the decisions that went into designing the display.

Regarding negative feedback about the phone's larger-than-expected size, David S. said: "The phone might be 5.5" but it doesn't feel like that thanks to the curved back and the tapered edges. Users are gonna love it."

Will OnePlus make a smaller variant of the OnePlus One (or a tablet) within the year?
    Carl added, "We are all about the OnePlus One currently. We want to make sure it becomes a success so we have a better direction for what to do in the future."

Why did OnePlus decide not to include a MicroSD card slot in the OnePlus One?
    David S. said, "Koushik [Dutta] explains some of the reasons why including a MicroSD card slot makes things more difficult for developers and also for manufacturers in order to offer a proper user experience."

Why won't the OnePlus support LTE band 20?
    David S. replied to a question asking when a SKU including LTE band 20 might be ready, saying: "if things go well, sometime between (late) Q3 and Q4."

Why is the battery non-removable?
    David S. said, "our battery is non-removable so we can offer more juice without having to add thickness to the phone." Users will be able to send their phone back to OnePlus to have the battery replaced without voiding the warranty. More adventurous users can attempt to replace the battery themselves, or take the phone to a local technician who can then replace the battery, but doing this will void the warranty.

Where is the "mystery battery tech"?
    David S. said that the OnePlus One does not have rapid charging, and it will not support wireless charging. He also reiterated that "the mystery tech is still under development for now." Later in the AMA, David S. said that the mystery tech "didn't make it for this model and we didn't want to delay the release date of the One." It sounds like it won't ship with the One, but if it is a software implementation, it may be added at a later date.

5. nickmurphyphotos
    Froyo May 1, 2014

Company

Is OnePlus owned by Oppo?
    How can OnePlus sell the One for such a low price?
    Carl said OnePlus cut costs in: "Distribution and marketing. My guess is that our actual production costs are higher due to better components and lower volumes."

David S. said: "There are three secrets: we are not making any profit with the One, we sell only through our e-commerce platform and our marketing is mainly on-line."

Where can I read the story of OnePlus?
    Chapter 1: Before Launch
    Chapter 2: Flagship Killer
    Chapter 3: On Being Misunderstood

How can I help OnePlus succeed in disrupting the cell phone market?
    Check out this thread to find out.

Patman75, caldrich, _Luis and 57 others like this.
  6. nickmurphyphotos
    Froyo May 1, 2014

Media Coverage

Where can I find full reviews of the retail OnePlus One?
    Where can I find articles with impressions about the OnePlus One?
    Where can I find hands-on impressions posted by forum users?
    • @Agent Sam has posted a thread about his hands-on experience at a recent CM event.
    • @VincentV also posted a thread with a nice summary of his impressions of the OnePlus One and his experience at the CM event.
    • @Sparkolo has a fantastic thread with details of his trip to the launch event on April 23, including hands-on impressions and great photos and videos.
    Where can I find pictures of the OnePlus One?
    Where can I find hands-on videos of the OnePlus One?
    Please enjoy the videos below. :) I can only post up to 5 videos inline; I will leave links to the rest below.

Android Authority - [Pre-Production Device] Review:

Armando Ferreira - [Retail Device] Impressions:

Erica Griffin - [Retail Device] Unboxing & Size Comparisons:

MKBHD - [Pre-Production Device] Review:

7. nickmurphyphotos
    Froyo May 1, 2014

Hardware

Does the OnePlus One have [insert feature here]?

There's no FM radio, no IR blaster, no rapid or wireless charging, no SlimPort or MHL.

Will the OnePlus One work on my carrier?
    The OnePlus One supports the following wireless bands/frequencies:
    • GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
    • WCDMA: 1/2/4/5/8 (2100/1900/1700/850/900 MHz)
    • LTE: 1/3/4/7/17/38/40
    I've summarized carrier compatibility for the 16 launch countries in the Carrier Compatibility section below. If your country is not one of the 16 launch countries, check @beutrocks's thread.

If your carrier is not listed, you can check which bands your carrier uses to determine the OnePlus One's compatibility with your desired carrier. A good starting point is Wikipedia's lists of LTE and UMTS networks. If you live in one of the launch countries, please post the results of your research in this thread, or message me. If you live somewhere other than a launch country, please post your results in beutrock's thread.

OnePlus has also stated that the webstore interface for each launch country will detail OnePlus One compatibility with the carriers in that country.

Will OnePlus consider making a CDMA version for Verizon and Sprint?
    Carl said, "This is not our priority. We need to reach as much of the world [as] possible, as fast as possible. Creating a USA CDMA specific version is not the best use of our time [or] limited resources at this moment."

Where can I find sample images taken by the OnePlus One?
    There are threads posted by all three Photomania contest winners (Martinrm, ThirdEye, and ZeGaby).

@Martinrm also posted a comparison between images taken by the OnePlus One Camera Test Unit, an Oppo Find 5, and a Nikon D3100 SLR.

What are the differences between the international and the Chinese versions of the OnePlus One?
    What are the SAR values of the OnePlus One?
    Jerry has posted a thread comparing the One Plus One's SAR values to those of other flagship devices.

How good is the audio quality of the phone earpiece and the external speakers?
    @Martinrm has posted a comprehensive review of the OnePlus One's audio capabilities.

What kind of audio hardware does the OnePlus One have?
    David S. said: "We have AudioFX, which is hardware accelerated, uses less power than a software based equalizer and is system wide, so it improves the sound through all apps, not only the music one."

Carl said: "Audio output is via a chip from Yamaha (incl. headphone jack output). The speakers are tweaked together with JBL."

Why are there reports of the OnePlus One having a yellow screen?
    David S. has posted a thread addressing this issue.

8. nickmurphyphotos
    Froyo May 1, 2014

Software

How much free space will the 16GB OnePlus One have out of the box?
    What custom ROMs will be available for the OnePlus One?
    Here's a thread about projected custom ROM support for the OnePlus One.

Carl said, "I'm sure all the major ROMs will support the OnePlus One as it goes on sale. We've seen tremendous interest from developers already."

Where can I learn more about rooting and installing custom ROMs?
    Will it be possible to create custom "screen-off" gestures, similar to the Oppo Find 7?
    David S. said, "It's not possible now but it is very likely to be happening in the future."

When can I say "OK, OnePlus" instead of "OK, Snapdragon"?
    According to a recent update from StevenPM, they have run into some difficulties implementing this feature. He said, on June 30, that "there is no new set release date, but look for the Ok OnePlus feature on future updates in a month or two."

In addition, the Google Now Launcher and Nova Launcher support the "OK, Google" hotword on the home screen.

Where can I report bugs or suggest features or improvements to CyanogenMod?
    Check out jak's thread for more information.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014

Patman75, Xristelos, Sandy K and 39 others like this.
  9. nickmurphyphotos
    Froyo May 1, 2014

Forum

How should I conduct myself on this forum?
    Please observe the suggestions about forum etiquette. In addition, become familiar with the official forum Terms of Service and Rules.

What should I do before creating a thread?
    Learn the proper way to make a new thread.

What if I feel like goofing off and posting random stuff?
    Get to know your fellow OnePlus enthusiasts in the Random Nonsense Club (and feel free to post random stuff). It's like IRC, but slower! :p
    Can you point me to some helpful threads?
    Where can I thank the OnePlus staff for their dedication to the OnePlus One?
    Here.

How do I increase my rank on the forum?
    Martin said:
    Please refrain from posting new useless threads just to generate likes (they don't work), trading likes for likes (won't work either), or generally trying to cheat the system. Like Martin said, it doesn't really matter anyway; all it does is annoy the people who have been waiting patiently and contributing thoughtfully. The main factor that will determine who receives invites first is how long you've been registered on the forum.

If you're still curious, here's how to work your way up the ranks. OnePlus has created new membership levels, which are listed below.

[​IMG]
    Also, the levels update at scheduled intervals. If your level does not update immediately after satisfying the requirements for that level, be patient; it will update soon.

S Shah, Patman75, pdfaasse and 53 others like this.
  10. nickmurphyphotos
    Froyo May 1, 2014

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014

11. bhavatmaj
    Donut May 1, 2014

redleema, Keith_Huen and alkeram like this.
  12. yarpiin
    Gingerbread May 1, 2014

Mina Bolis likes this.
  13. wtfhsf
    KitKat Community Expert May 1, 2014

wtfhsf , May 1, 2014 :
    Hahaha I'm glad you made this thread... I was going to but keep finding myself distracted by other things. Awesome job.

14. calvindtrex
    Gingerbread May 1, 2014

jagadish4 and alkeram like this.
  15. bryanc1988
    Donut May 1, 2014

alkeram likes this.
  16. wtfhsf

dmicohen, Talha and alkeram like this.
  17. av78130
    Honeycomb May 1, 2014

av78130 , May 1, 2014 :
    awesome thanks for all this clarification and consolidation of all this info.

18. hmp
    Froyo May 1, 2014

hmp , May 1, 2014 :
    thanks, hopefully this will clear most of people's questions..

19. wtfhsf

20. doubledownwookie
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 1, 2014