[FAQ] OnePlus 7T OxygenOS BETA / STABLE Update Guide

1. Donald Nice
    Gingerbread May 20, 2020

Donald Nice , May 20, 2020 :
    Latest update: 24.06.2020

Changelog:
    24.06.2020: - added OB5 for EU
    18.06.2020: - added latest open beta releases
    14.06.2020: - updated #6 with general information about beta channel (thx to @Udit2508 )

Latest OxygenOS open beta releases:
    Global: OB5 (11.06.2020)
    India: OB5 (11.06.2020)
    EU: OB5 (24.06.2020)

Disclamer: Hy, my name is Christoph, I'm from germany and I'm no moderator or emloyee for OnePlus, just an experienced user. In this FAQ i will try to answer most of the common questions as good as i can.

This FAQ is for the different official builds of OxygenOS by OnePlus. For general questions please refer to the excellent Q&A from @Alvie .

In this guide i recommend a 3rd-party-software that is called OxygenUpdater, developed by @adhirajsinghchauhan .This software is NOT developed by OnePlus, but used and trusted by me since my first OneplusOne. These guys are the reason for this thread. So thank you @AnonymousWP (who is a teammember of oxygenupdater and user of this forum) and all members of your team for all your work!

Please use this software carefully at your own risk, follow all instructions and don't blame me or OnePlus if anything goes wrong!

Okay for you?
    Then lets go. If not, PLEASE STOP READING!

#1. Are there different hardware variants of the OP7T?
    Yes there are 5 different hardware variants of the OP7T:
    • HD1900: China
    • HD1901: India
    • HD1903: Europe
    • HD1905: North America
    • HD1907: T-Mobile USA
    The different variants support different bands/frequencies. You can check below:
    Bands (CN & IN)
    FDD-LTE:B1,2,3,4,5,7,8,12,13,17,18,19,20,26,28,29
    TDD-LTE:B34,38,39,40,41
    TDS:B34,B39
    UMTS:B1,2,4,5,8,9,19
    CDMA:BC0,BC1
    GSM:B2,3,5,8

Bands (NA)
    FDD-LTE:B1,2,3,4,5,7,8,12,13,17,18,19,20,25,26,28,29,30,46,66,71
    TDD-LTE:B34,38,39,41,48
    CDMA:BC0,BC1,BC10

Bands (EU)
    FDD-LTE:B1,2,3,4,5,7,8,12,13,17,18,19,20,25,26,28,29,32,66
    TDD-LTE:B34,38,39,40,41
    CDMA:BC0,BC1

#2. Are there different software distibutions for the different hardware variants?
    Yes, the chinese version comes with HydrogenOS and without Google Apps installed. All other versions use OxygenOS with Google Apps installed. The T-Mobile variant is exclusivly branded and the software is updated by T-Mobile and not by OnePlus!

#3. Are there regional builds of OxygenOS for the OP7T?
    Yes. There are three different regional builds:
    • India (IN) - HD65AA
    • Europe (EU) - HD65BA
    • Global (Apart from IN & EU) - HD65AA

#4. What are the differences between these regional builds?
    There is no clear answer for this. It varies with the different software releases from Oneplus. The guys from Oxygenupdater took a deeper look on ob1 here.
    At this time of creating this faq the indian version has, compared to the global version, some India specific apps like the Red Cable Club and the cloud app. The sound of the indian build is reported to be louder compared to the global build.

The european build, compared to the global build, has no Google Pay and no equalizer preinstalled. But there are 2 build.prop entries more in EU than in global.
    1. ro.build.eu=true
    2. ro.vendor.build.eu=true
    User Aschente_V also reports here that the volume is lower an the EU build compared to global. Thanks for your Infos!
    Edit: Since Open Beta 4 the Equalizer seems to be missing in Global build also.

#4.1 How can check which regional build is installed on my device?
    At the time of creating this FAQ it is very easy to find out if you have an india device, beacuse only india devices have the red cable club installed. Golbal und EU have not.
    If you want to find out if you are using an EU build, use a terminal emulator like this one or any other terminal, and enter getprop after starting it. This will show your build.prop, there is no root or special settings needed. If you find ro.build.eu=true than you are using an EU Build. If not, global.

#5. How do i update my device and where can i find download links for official releases?
    The best and secure way is the internal updater, but the updates are rolling out staged, so not everybody will get the newest build immeadiatly even if its released by Oneplus. It may take up to 6 weeks before everybody gets the newest build. If you use a stable build, you will get only stable updates. If you use beta build, you will only get beta updates.

If you want to speed this up you can use OxygenUpdater. Please read the at the beginning of this post before using! If you are okay with that, please read also all instructions of oxygenupdater carefully. You may also need to activate advanced mode in settings!

Other sources for official build downloads:

#6. Is there a Beta program?
    Yes. There are two channels for software releases by OnePlus:
    • MP version = Stable official version
    • OBT version = Open Beta Version
    All devices are shipped with stable software and will only get stable updates. So you will have to flash once manually a beta build to change from stable to beta channel. A factory reset ist not needed, but advised.

The beta channel is designed to be used by advanced users only, who are willing to report bugs properly and knows what to do if anything goes wrong. Its not for people who only want the newest features and complaining about bugs and bad battery life in this forums!
    If you dont know how to properly report bugs, please dont use the beta channel!

Once you have flashed your first beta build you will only get beta updates, no stable builds anymore. To get back to stable from beta you will have to flash the recovery builds and you will loose all your data! So backup first (see 8.) !

#7. How can i join the beta program / flash a beta build?
    You dont need to really join it. You will have to flash a beta build manually once after backing up your device. Moving from stable to beta will not erase your device, but always backup first and a factory reset is advised.
    You can find the full tutorial from Manu_J here!
    MP (stable) to OBT (beta) upgrade guide—via Local OTA Update
    1. Download the latest ROM upgrade zip package from the specified server.
    2. Copy the ROM upgrade package to the phone storage.
    3. Go to Settings -> System -> System Updates -> Click top right icon -> Local upgrade -> Click on the corresponding installation package -> upgrade -> System upgrade completed to 100%.
    4. After the upgrade is complete, click Restart.
    5. Update successful.

#8. How can i leave beta and go back to stable?
    IMPORTANT: Moving back to stable from beta will erase all contents on the phone! There is no way around, so backup your stuff!
    You can find the the full tutorial and download links for the different rollback builds here!

OBT (beta) to MP (stable) rollback guide—via Local OTA update
    1. IMPORTANT: Backup all your stuff!!!
    2. Download the rollback build from here.
    3. Copy the Rollback package to the phone storage.
    4. Go to Settings -> System -> System Updates -> Click top right icon -> Local upgrade -> Click on the corresponding installation package -> upgrade -> System upgrade completed to 100%.
    5. After the upgrade is complete, click Restart.
    6. Update successful.

#9. When i try to update manually the file is not shown in local upgrade option. What am i doing wrong?
    There may be four reasons for that:
    1. The filename of your downloaded file ends with .jar instead of .zip (like OnePlus7TOxygen_xxxxxxxxx.zip.jar). Open filemanager, rename the file by removing the .jar from the filename.
      OnePlus7TOxygen_xxxxxxxxx.zip (right)
      OnePlus7TOxygen_xxxxxxxxx.zip.jar (wrong)
    2. Your downloaded file is not for your device. Please recheck if you have the correct file.
    3. Your downloaded file is too old. Oneplus's internal local upgrade option seems to check the filenames. Download a newer build.
    4. You downloaded an incremental update file. Download the full update. See #10.

#10. What is the difference between incremental- and full updatefiles?
    In general: Incremental updatefiles does not include the whole rom, only the changes between two builds and work like a chain. v3 needs v2 installed, v2 need v1 installed. If one part is missing it cant be installed. So if you have v2 installed you cant directly install v4, because v3 is missing. You will need to first install v3 and after that v4.
    Thats the big benefit of full roms. They dont need any version to be installed because they contain the whole system.
    But also in this case, the guys around @adhirajsinghchauhan from OxygenUpdater help us a lot. Why? Read the following spoiler or this post. Thanx again, guys!
    In the context of Oxygen Updater, we usually add incremental ZIPs only for the latest 1-2 builds, because by our usage metrics, most people are already on these latest builds. However, for the older versions, we link the full ZIP instead.

So for example, if there are v1, v2, v3, v4, and v5 builds so far for you device, we'll add incremental ZIPs only for v4 -> v5 and maybe for v3 -> v5. The rest will be linked to the full ZIP, so that the small number of people who're still on older versions can update to the latest builds same as everyone else.

That way, it doesn't matter which update method you've selected (full or incremental) - using Oxygen Updater will always ensure you're on the latest available build for your device.

PS: We recommend using the full update method if your bootloader is unlocked, or you're rooted. Incremental ZIPs do not work in such cases, as the system needs the full ZIP to update such devices.
    If your bootloader is locked AND your device isn't rooted, it's much better to choose the incremental update method, as that usually means you have a relatively small file to download (thus saving valuable bandwidth).

#11. When i try to update manually i get the failure message: "The version of your selected package is lower than that of the current system." What am i doing wrong?
    Your build is too old and older than the version you have installed right now. You will have to find a newer version if its already released. You can use Oxygenupdater to find the newest build for your device. For other download-links check #5.
    There may be times where the stable build released after a beta build and is newer than the beta build: At this time you cant switch to beta because the newest beta is too old compared to the newest stable build. If you really want to switch to beta there is still one possibilty:
    Flash the rollback-build for your device to downgrade to an earlier stable. Everything will be erased than! But after downgrading the stable the newest beta is not too old anymore and you can switch to beta. Disadvantage: a factory reset is required.

#12. I can't find the newest build for my device! Also OxygenUpdater does not show any Update. Whats wrong?
    You may have to use the advanced mode of OxygenUpdater. Please read the instructions carefully and set your device do your needs. If then no update is shown then you will have to wait, its not released. If you read the help in oxygenupdater and understand how it works you will know why the builds are so fast released there.

#13. I use EU Beta (OB1 or OB2). Why there are no updates anymore?
    Update 28.05.2020:
    OB4 is released to EU since 28.05.2020. So my guesses and the info from german OnePlus Support were wrong! There is no known reason why ob3 for EU was skipped by OnePlus. EU and GLOBAL are NOT merged!

#14. So i can switch between the regional builds (f.e. EU -> Global) withoud data loss?
    Yes you can, but the build you want to flash to may not be older than the installed build. See #10.

#15. When will the next update / any version be released?
    This is a comunity forum, so we are all users, except the moderators. I dont think that any dev will ever read here. So, no one here can ever tell you when a specific version will be relased.
    Beta builds will normally be updated every month. Stable builds are normally updated every two months.

#16. What can i do if i have bugs?
    At first, please read and use the search function of this forum! Please notice, that this is a comunity forum. Be kind to others, we are all just users and sometimes fanboys. And sometimes not! ;)

If you cant find anything please check if its a problem with the device or a third party app. If it is device-specific and you can reproduce the failure use the feedback tool to send all needed information and files to the developers of OnePlus. This is the only way to get real bugs fixed.

If you encounter any problems with any third-party app, please try:
    1. to uninstall and reinstall the app to check if this fixes the problem,
    2. to search the web about the problem to see if it exists on other devices,
    3. ask the comunity by creating a new thread. Please include all needed information like exact device, OxygenOS version Number and the problem itself as detailed as possible. Help us to help YOU!
    4. Posts like "My XYZ is not working!!!!" will be ignored by me and most other experienced users, because nobody can help with this lack of information.
    5. And please be kind to each others. We are a user-comunity. Nobody likes SCREAMING!!!!

A last thing: I am looking for experienced users who own a Oneplus 7TP or McLaren-Edition to extend this FAQ to these devices. If any of you are interested in helping me out, please contact me.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020

AlanRochaS and Donald Nice like this.
  3. Cosmos_NT
    Jelly Bean May 20, 2020

karteek506@gmail and Donald Nice like this.
  4. SoniaB
    Nougat Head Moderator May 20, 2020

SoniaB , May 20, 2020 :
    Checking with the team

Helder_DAlmeida and Cosmos_NT like this.
  5. SoniaB
    Nougat Head Moderator May 20, 2020

6. its_parth26
    Eclair May 20, 2020

its_parth26 , via OnePlus 7T , May 20, 2020 :
    one plus has not updated the latest version of beta rom as well as stabe rom. if i try to download and update it through local update, it shows that i already have upgraded version of rom!

7. Donald Nice
    Gingerbread May 20, 2020

Please, there are missing so much informations. Which device? Which version is installed right now? What do you want to install? Please read #9 of the faq!

OB4 is pulled! So nobody can update rightnow from ob3 to ob4. We have no working download links.

Daysleeper55 likes this.
  8. sreeraj321
    Froyo May 20, 2020

sreeraj321 , via OnePlus 7T , May 20, 2020 :
    The irony of having to again explain what you have posted in the thread ... I feel you 😅

Donald Nice likes this.
  9. Neslin Dsouza
    Cupcake May 20, 2020

Neslin Dsouza , via OnePlus 7T , May 20, 2020 :
    hi, I've downloaded the 1st version of beta for my one plus 7t but through local upgrade
    1589990645265.jpg
    while I'm trying to upgrade it's not showing the file in the route directory .
    but it's already in the internal memory of my phone, what's going wrong I don't know 🤔

10. Donald Nice
    Gingerbread May 20, 2020

Edit; Sorry misread it. Your OB1 is too old! Use beta 3.

11. AKASH K K
    Donut May 20, 2020

12. Neslin Dsouza
    Cupcake May 20, 2020

yes it's zip.jar in the end, should I extract it and try? op 7t I want to upgrade to beta version because stable one's are too late.

OnePlus7TOxygen_13.Y.02_OTA_002_all_2003131007_e02b13eac5304b33.zip.jar

13. Donald Nice
    Gingerbread May 20, 2020

No just remove the.jar from the filename that it should look like this: OnePlus7TOxygen_13.Y.02_OTA_002_all_2003131007_e02b13eac5304b33.zip

Question added to FAQ.

Last edited: May 20, 2020

14. its_parth26
    Eclair May 20, 2020

its_parth26 , via OnePlus 7T , May 20, 2020 :
    im currently on stable 10.3.2 IN version of one plus 7t
    im trying to go to beta but on official site there is just OB2 version showing as latest

15. Neslin Dsouza
    Cupcake May 20, 2020

thanks bro it worked but it's saying to download the latest one.

but in community I can download only the current version file.

16. D1586020209881
    Gingerbread May 20, 2020

D1586020209881 , May 20, 2020 :
    I feel that calling any third party app like that "trusted" is just plain harmful and wrong. This post should be moderated. By saying trusted who do you actually mean ? Who takes responsibility for all the security threats that come along with using this application ? Who will take responsibility for potential damages ? Apps like that should be rather marked as "Use at your own risk".

17. Donald Nice
    Gingerbread May 20, 2020

If you would have read the thread you would have noticed that this is part of the introduction in post 1.

Quote:
    "Please use this software carefully at your own risk, follow all instructions and don't blame me or OnePlus if anything goes wrong!"

Adarsh792000, sjcruz and Jav P like this.
  18. Neslin Dsouza
    Cupcake May 20, 2020

1589992171085.jpg
    where can I get the latest one?

19. D1586020209881
    Gingerbread May 20, 2020

D1586020209881 , May 20, 2020 :
    Ignorance does not make you safe mister. Still I wish "you and thousands of other users" all the best :)

Donald Nice likes this.
  20. Cosmos_NT
    Jelly Bean May 20, 2020

SoniaB likes this.