[FAQ] OnePlus 7T OxygenOS BETA / STABLE Update Guide

1. sjcruz
    Eclair Jun 1, 2020

sjcruz , via OnePlus 7T , Jun 1, 2020 :
    oxygen updater app...its quite same...no issues

2. sjcruz
    Eclair Jun 1, 2020

sjcruz , via OnePlus 7T , Jun 1, 2020 :
    i was fedup with the camera bug since last update...each day was waiting for stable update version

3. Adarsh792000
    Froyo Jun 2, 2020

Adarsh792000 , via OnePlus 7T , Jun 2, 2020 :
    But, I will go for the stable Built..let see how much time it will take to rollout globally.

4. X1591062174171
    Cupcake Jun 2, 2020

X1591062174171 , Jun 2, 2020 :
    I use China Hardware with Global rom but I have no call recorder while I'm on a call. Is there any way to have the call recorder, is it related with rom?

5. Vaibhav Lacmane
    Cupcake Jun 2, 2020

6. Adarsh792000
    Froyo Jun 2, 2020

7. sjcruz
    Eclair Jun 2, 2020

sjcruz , via OnePlus 7T , Jun 2, 2020 :
    approximately 4 to 6 weeks...i hope.

8. Adarsh792000
    Froyo Jun 2, 2020

9. sjcruz
    Eclair Jun 3, 2020

10. VB1
    Froyo Jun 7, 2020

VB1 , Jun 7, 2020 :
    One of best threads i have stumbled upon. This will be of massive help to everyone having doubts regarding the updates. Thanks & keep up the good work[e]1f44d[/e]

Donald Nice likes this.
  11. N1580388597241
    Eclair Jun 7, 2020

12. Donald Nice
    Gingerbread Jun 7, 2020

Donald Nice , Jun 7, 2020 :
    Are you serious? Have you read this FAQ?

13. N1580388597241
    Eclair Jun 7, 2020

14. Donald Nice
    Gingerbread Jun 7, 2020

Come on. If you want help, please read the FAQ, especially #9. Is you have any questions after reading it please ask your question as detailed as possible. With this lack of information nobody will be able to help you.

15. C1591300821555
    Cupcake Jun 7, 2020

Donald Nice likes this.
  16. N1580388597241
    Eclair Jun 7, 2020

17. Donald Nice
    Gingerbread Jun 7, 2020

Sorry, but with this lack of information, my answer is yes. Although if I don't have a clue what device you have, which rom you are using and which you want to flash.

If you don't get me more information, I can't help you.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020

18. neekr5
    Froyo Jun 8, 2020

neekr5 , Jun 8, 2020 :
    Hi! Amazing thread Christoph, thank you so much!

Hoping to ask a few questions please that I have left that I'm not 100% sure on after spending the last couple of days trying to get my New 7T up to date? If somebody has the knowledge and 15 mins to spare to read and answer my questions it would be most appreciated! I always aim to help people out on here myself I promise! Hopefully some of my questions help others also!

So essentially, I'm in the UK. I got an amazing deal (whilst getting annoyed trying to buy an 8 Pro) on a new HD1903 from a Hong Kong website that sell here. Was meant to take 6-8 days, 6 weeks later one turned up. Was perfect, new sealed, so all fine in the end. What I am trying to achieve is the latest beta and staying on it and being notified whilst always remaining on EU software.

After using your fantastic guide, I've got to the point that I'm on Open Beta 4. As mentioned I have some remaining queries I don't seem to be able to see the answers to and advice would be appreciated!

Questions:

1. My phone went from 7T EU to just 7T in 'my device' on Oxygen Updater - am I right in thinking (read correctly) that is because the beta channels have merged? I notice in the OTA version it starts with 04_GLO_004. I checked with the Terminal Emulator that I still had the EU code x2 in there and I did.

2. I actually had to go back to stable via. OnePlus UK site download because I downloaded the Global software by accident from Oxygen Launcher. It was relief that this worked and also reset the phone as just wanted as clean an install as possible. Then from there I downloaded another massive file in the shape of the open beta 4 from the UK site again, got it installed and that's where I'm at. Is it worth me now doing another factory reset before setting up my phone properly? As it did one when I went back to the full Stable software? I then had the normal setup procedures etc.

3. Now that I have installed it can I delete the 2.57 GB beta file from my device?

4. Then am I right in saying that I can set Oxygen Updater to Open Beta Incremental Updates and each time there is a major or minor update it should remind me? Though I'm on here all the time so will probably see here! Will it just be the likes of the 250 MB files then rather than the big boys?

5. If I stay out of advanced mode the versions that are recommended to me should be EU spec as I have selected that in device (though in 'my device' it shows without the EU for merging reasons I believe)?

6. Basic question(s) but I'm seeing terms like 'rooting' your device.. I don't properly understand what it means or why anyone would do it? And bootloading? Why would anyone need to do this? I haven't needed to do any of this as it's easy to just move the file into storage and lose the .jar from the file.

7. I have 32.83 GB showing as used of the 128GB - is that about right? So if I can delete the install package of 2.57 GB about 100 GB left. I can't see any reference to any of the files I downloaded (whether correctly or not!) previously. I want to make sure they're not sat hidden somewhere confusing things and taking up space.

8. The file for Open Beta 4 on the OnePlus UK site shows 2.57 GB, on the phone in file manager.. same. On Oxygen Updater if I go on Advanced, it shows as 'downloaded' but at 2.76 GB? Weird right?

9. Last question I promise.. Upon installation I had another 'Files' app pop up. It offered me the new Google one too which would have took me to 3 so I declined that one! The 'File Manager' seems to be the best one. Are they both OnePlus apps?

Ok, I'll finish the essay there! Thanks in advance if anyone is able to help answer a few of these and I hope that it helps others. I'm incredibly OCD and like to understand how things work and have a clean setup!

Talk Soon,
    Nick

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020

Donald Nice likes this.
  19. Donald Nice
    Gingerbread Jun 9, 2020

Donald Nice , Jun 9, 2020 :
    Hey Nick, and thank you for your kind words. I hope a can answer all your questions.

You can set your device to whatever you want in OU the advanced settings. And no, they have not been merged. Oneplus did just not release an OB3 for EU. Since OB4 we have 3 different beta builds for the oneplus 7t, Global, India and EU. If you have the two eu specific lines in build.prop than you are using the eu build.

No, imho no second factory reset is needed but it wont hurt. If you want to be as clean as possible i would factory reset again after going from stable to beta, just to be sure.

Yes you dont need it anymore.

Yes OU will notify you if there is a newer build available.

Yes in the beta builds there is no indicator for what build you have installed. OU will show you updates for the device you have set in OU.

You can root your device do get root privileges. Without root you cant access the systemfiles. If you open a filemanager that supports root and your device is rooted you can also see, edit and delete systemfiles. Most people that are rooting their devices do that for advanced modding or a systemwide adblocker. IMHO its not needed on OnePlus phones because oneplus gives a lot of possibilities to personalize our device and a systemwide adblocker is also possible without root via private dns settings.
    The bootloader is something like the bios of the pc for your phone, but there is no graphical interface, you can only change settings via terminal. The bootloader is device-specific, contains information about the device and how its properly booted. It protects the whole device with a kind of signature and must be opened to root your device.

These are systemfiles (only visible with root) and it takes so much space because of the A/B partition system, that the 7T is using.

Maybe just a mistake. Download both and compare.

I cant really answer because ive no idea which the second was. OnePlus has only one filemanager. This one here.
    I think the other one is the systemintegrated from android. But this one is calles files and is really basic and not usable for me. The Oneplus file manager is really good imho. But also 3rd-party filemanagers like Solid Explorer are great.

If you have any questions left, just ask.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020

20. neekr5
    Froyo Jun 12, 2020

neekr5 , Jun 12, 2020 :
    Wow, thank you so much for an absolute '110%' response Christoph! That is the best customer service I have ever received.. despite not being a customer!! You should be charging for this level of service!!

That is all really reassuring, I think I've nailed it and spent the last few days getting set up perfectly! Not a setting has gone unchecked. It looks like I'm all set to get updates as and when correctly on OU too.

Yes, any further 'unlocking' of the device is not needed, is more than customisable enough for my use. Cheers for explaining those extra levels of access to me.

Pretty sure you're right with regards to the extra files app. It is very Google Drive centric so think it's an android default. The OnePlus file manager is perfect so sticking with that.

Deleted the large file so plenty of storage to go at now. Did the extra factory reset so all good there too.

Really over the moon with the 7T now it's all setup the way I want. Could well be the last great traditional OnePlus offering for a while. So refined and great value, good balance and selection of features. Looking to keep this one for longer than the usual 6 months so really appreciate your help in me getting it set up perfectly!

Take care and thanks so much again - you're a star!

Nick

Donald Nice likes this.