Feature request: Idle charging mode via OnePlus 9 Pro T-Mobile

1. RonanDjinnTetsu , via OnePlus 9 Pro T-Mobile , Dec 5, 2021 :
    I want to be able to set a battery charge limit, and at that point to only use power directly from the power adapter. This isn't new or radical; phones already have the capability to do it, especially Oneplus. Most modern laptops also have this (example: Almost any 2020 Dell Inspiron. Dell Power Manager is software that allows charge limits and to only use power directly from the power adapter).

This matters to me because I want to preserve my battery for the next 2-3 years. I game a lot and do much resource intensive tasks that use a lot of battery life; I don't want to go through 1-2 full cycles a day! It's well known that battery performance and endurance is tied to how many cycles it's gone through, and by how high it is charged or how low it's discharged.

BUT, as you know, by default the battery will simply keep charging and remain at 100%. This puts unnecessary stress on battery too. I'm juggling between trying not to drain my battery too much, and between not having it kept at 100% for the entire duration. I know there's a charging optimization option, but it's not for limiting battery charging when the phone is actually being used, as it's for people who for some reason charge overnight.

So about oneplus phones already supporting this. It's in the kernel code, and is enabled only by having root (magisk) with the advanced charging controller magisk module. That's what I did on my oneplus 7 pro. But having an unlocked bootloader is not viable anymore! I just want to use my 9 pro without heavy modifications. Please let us have customizable battery charge limits and have idle power mode.

maxdp661 likes this.
  2. Caomhin
    9 Series Expert, Participator of the Year Community Expert Dec 6, 2021

3. ArvydasPet
    Cupcake Dec 6, 2021