(Feature Request) Wireless Android Auto Support

1. sgibbers17 Donut Oct 20, 2018

Softeis112, frmattb and Tyler1973 like this.
  2. YASHPLUSONE Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 20, 2018

Anubis 33 likes this.
  3. YASHPLUSONE Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 20, 2018

YASHPLUSONE, Oct 20, 2018 :
    Android Auto wireless mode will use substantially more power on your phone (it’s pushing data over Wi-Fi continuously), and it’s not plugged into the car to recharge at the same time. Sure, you could plug the phone into a car charger, but at that point, why even bother to use wireless mode if you’re going to plug a cable into your phone?

Android Auto wireless mode is probably best when taking a short trip. If you just need to head down the road, you can fire up wireless mode and use Android Auto while the phone is still in your pocket. It might be a year or two before you can even buy a car that supports this feature, though. The same goes for smartphones, unless you buy from Google.
    hence adding the support for something that won't work on anything is actually nothing! ;)

Kytharsis and Anubis 33 like this.
  4. sgibbers17 Donut Oct 25, 2018

sgibbers17, Oct 25, 2018 :
    the pie update was supposed be bring wireless Android auto to non pixel phones as long as the manufacturer adds support for it in the update.

Plus people go on sort trips every day. I go to and from work, to and from the store, to and from kid activities every day so there are plenty of short trips where wireless Android Auto would be very useful. It is probably rare that a person drives more than and hour one way on a daily basis.

Tyler1973 likes this.
  5. K1538689387208 Cupcake Oct 30, 2018

K1538689387208, Oct 30, 2018 :
    I would also like to see wireless android auto implemented. I have a head unit that supports it, just waiting for the phone to support it.

Tyler1973 likes this.
  6. frmattb Cupcake May 10, 2019

frmattb, May 10, 2019 :
    Respectfully, it's precisely because Android auto is a power drain that I would like to use the OnePlus rapid charge while using Android auto. The wireless function is particularly important one one plus phones so that we can use the faster charging with the OnePlus charger.

7. zaherhoulayhel Froyo May 10, 2019

zaherhoulayhel, May 10, 2019 :
    android auto on phones is going away and being replaced by a driving mode for google assistant (I/O 2019 for more details)

8. frmattb Cupcake May 10, 2019

frmattb, May 10, 2019 :
    this thread (I believe) is referencing connecting a one plus phone (6t) to an Android auto wireless head unit in a vehicle. that's slated to convert to Android automotive, but not for quite a while

9. sgibbers17 Donut May 22, 2019

sgibbers17, May 22, 2019 :
    I would hope that the new driving mode will still be supported by current Android Auto stereos