[Feedback] Share your thoughts on reading mode.

1. Zero L.
    Product Marketing Sep 22, 2017

Zero L. , Sep 22, 2017 :
    Hi guys,

About two weeks ago, we conducted a survey looking into the features of OxygenOS. Over 2000 users participated in this survey. We’re incredibly proud of the results, and greatly appreciate your feedback. Rest assured that our product team takes the time to dig into every suggestion submitted by users, such as requiring us to support parallel apps applications and setting up different patterns on the App Locker. They told me you can expect to see a few more changes soon.

However, the result that surprised and confused us most was the reading mode's relative lack of popularity. As Vito said in his most recent thread, we developed over 20 iterations of Reading Mode with the aim of offering users a more eye-friendly display solution. So, we’d like to find out what motivated this result.

What factors contributed to this result? Share your ideas in this survey https://goo.gl/forms/xiSy6ZmlDNUBNmPl1 to make us better. I will send one randomly selected winner a pair of OnePlus Bullet v2 Earphones (Black) on Oct 9. We are always listening.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017

2. G_d_mcginnis_cAbY
    Cupcake Sep 22, 2017

G_d_mcginnis_cAbY , Sep 22, 2017 :
    Honestly, I like it and use it every night. currently using it as I type this. I don't know why you would not use it.

3. Karthik Raghavan
    Honeycomb Sep 22, 2017

Karthik Raghavan , Sep 22, 2017 :
    Submitted some extensive feedback. Please do NOT abandon Reading Mode, its easily one of the most thoughtful things ANY mobile device company has ever introduced. You just need to figure out the right packaging to get more people to buy into this. Here, more than any other feature, let the active community that uses Reading Mode help you do this!

4. G_le_bucur_RhyH
    Froyo Sep 22, 2017

an.ngo, otrobruno and Plenkske like this.
  5. Nezumi_
    KitKat Sep 22, 2017

6. KelvinKamGoon
    Gingerbread Sep 22, 2017

KelvinKamGoon , Sep 22, 2017 :
    I like reading mode, use it pretty often. you might not be getting much feedback as poodle might just be satisfied and have neither complaints nor suggestions.

7. Gatlyng
    Froyo Sep 22, 2017

Gatlyng , Sep 22, 2017 :
    People probably don't read that much or they don't bother activating it for the little articles on the internet they read.

Jeet77 likes this.
  8. Karthik Raghavan
    Honeycomb Sep 22, 2017

Also, if they are reading on chrome, they don't want reading mode on universally for all websites...! This was an issue for me... The only use case where this didn't matter was when I used reading mode as an alternate to night mode in bed..

9. G_Joe_Smart_Ltmx
    Honeycomb Sep 22, 2017

G_Joe_Smart_Ltmx , Sep 22, 2017 :
    The obvious problem with reading mode on a smart phone is that you have to pick apps you only want to see in black and white even though they weren't designed to be seen that way. If OnePlus thinks reading mode is so much easier on the eyes then why is this support thread in color in the first place? They could have easily designed this thread in black and white but they didn't.

10. Karthik Raghavan
    Honeycomb Sep 22, 2017

Is not just black and white, its also how dim the screen gets... And as somebody who reads for hours on the phone, both lack of colour and the brightness change is very good for my eyes...

That said, I agree that it's a bit too much for casual readers who just spend 5 10 mins reading on phone... You'll see a big benefit only if a) you read in dark rooms or in the night and b) if you read enough to actually feel the strain on your eyes.

rva, timboss64 and Walter Wolf like this.
  11. LiamOlie
    Cupcake Sep 26, 2017

12. vipul619
    Honeycomb Sep 26, 2017

vipul619 , Sep 26, 2017 :
    Survey filled.
    This mode has replaced Night Mode for me.
    Reading any articles, mails, and even while I'm texting, I keep this mode on.
    I only worry whether switching this mode on/off frequently would harm the screen pixels.
    Example I'm texting in Reading Mode and get a picture, so I turn it off to see it, then turn it on again.

F_Jorden_Grewal_QmtA likes this.
  13. Piereligio
    Cupcake Sep 26, 2017

Piereligio , Sep 26, 2017 :
    Please just add the option to disable the grayscale in reading mode...
    For the rest is awesome,
    the only thing that keeps me back from using it is the grayscale enabled with no choice.

14. NovinDavis
    KitKat Sep 26, 2017

15. Jasmeets
    Gingerbread Sep 26, 2017

16. Shankufx4y
    Froyo Sep 26, 2017

17. F_Jorden_Grewal_QmtA
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 27, 2017

F_Jorden_Grewal_QmtA , Sep 27, 2017 :
    i like the idea of reading mode. i read quite a lot of book on my tablet too but i haven't used oneplus reading mode that much..... cause i have few questions about it .

does it actually reduce the strain on our eyes? recent survey shows it's not the what type of screen it is but if it's matte or glossy. Matte screen are better for reading so does just changing the color made it better?

Google play books app have black and white reading mode with black screen and white latter. so while using amoled screen i am saving battery as well but i am not sure if turning reading mode on would make black screen grayish? and i would lose more battery cause all the pixels are on?

if oneplus has explained the reading mode in more detail somewhere i haven't read it cause who reads the paper that comes with phone. maybe i should.

18. vipul619
    Honeycomb Sep 27, 2017

vipul619 , Sep 27, 2017 :
    If grayscale is disabled, isn't that basically Night Mode?

Callmevish likes this.
  19. F_Shorya_Shubham_TMQg
    Cupcake Sep 27, 2017

20. Piereligio
    Cupcake Sep 27, 2017

Piereligio , Sep 27, 2017 :
    No, because Read Mode adapts to the light color of the ambient, which is detected with the RGB ambient light sensor.
    If the light is colder, for example, the temperature of the display will get colder. Same concept for dunno, purple light, any kind of light. Plus, the "Night Mode effect" would be automatic depending on the lights in the room, instead of being scheduled depending on the hour.
    It would also have an infinite number of shades, instead of just one tint like Night Mode does.

Basically it would be like what True Tone does on iPhone 8.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017

vipul619 likes this.