Festivals: Celebrating Happiness

1. fragargon
    Jelly Bean Jul 7, 2020

2. Sagar Thawani , via OnePlus 7T Pro Haze Blue , Jul 7, 2020 :
    Being a hindu I follow the philosophy of Nichiren Buddhism the book here is called as GONGYO and the wooden scripture is Butsudan. We pray and chant for KOSEN RUFU(world peace) also for those who have passed away and for greater good of our karma. This philosophy is based on the LOTUS SUTRA of Shakya Muni buddha. It's all about peace we learn everything new each day. It is very satisfying when I chant just wanted to share world peace is the best thing I can think off, as the situation is bit drifty.
    1594146160374.jpg

3. SeanPlus
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 7, 2020

SeanPlus , Jul 7, 2020 :
    Hope you had a happy Rath Yatra @Swatiranjan, despite the lockdown. May Lord Jagannath bless you and your family with happiness and prosperity. 😊

SRD. and Dresa91 like this.
  4. Starcommander
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Jul 7, 2020

Starcommander , Jul 7, 2020 :
    Waoh @Swatiranjan amazing thread. Thanks for sharing

SRD., Cakepips and Dresa91 like this.
  5. Optimus_Prime_07
    OnePlus TV Product Ninja 2021 Jul 7, 2020

Optimus_Prime_07 , via OnePlus 3 , Jul 7, 2020 :
    @Swatiranjan you make me so emotional by thinking about this topic. In my Home Town Gujarat,India Navratri is the Most Celebrated Festival and those 9 Nights People Enjoy so much by playing "Garba".

Due to the current scenario, i didn't think this time we are able to celebrate Navratri as we celebrate before and that makes me more emotional.

I love to do Garba and i do garba all the 9 Nights with my Friends & Family.

Those who don't know about this festival i try to explain the details of the same and i hope all you come to gujarat if possible in Navaratri.

Navratri means 'Nine Nights,' the festival is commemorated for nine long days to perform a Puja to one of the nine forms of Goddess. All the nine nights are broken-up into sections of three; first three days are for Goddess Durga, who destroyed Demon Mahishasura and also human impurities. The next three days are committed to the goddess Lakshmi, the goddess of spirituality and the last three days are for Goddess Saraswati, the goddess of wisdom and art.

Also, Navratri is the time to celebrate the soil fertility and monsoon harvest, represented by a mound of fresh soil grown in which grains are sown. The soil is worshiped and watered for all the nine days of the festival. On the tenth day, Vijayadashami is celebrated.

Garba is a form of dance which originated in the state of Gujarat in India. The name is derived from the Sanskrit term Garbha and Deep. Many traditional garbas are performed around centrally lit lamp or a picture or statue of the Goddess Shakti.

1594151101678.jpg

1594151223071.jpg

1594151101697.jpg

1594150249605.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020

buntycubal, deep0611, SRD. and 4 others like this.
  6. Vishnu C Nair
    Froyo Jul 7, 2020

Vishnu C Nair , via OnePlus 7T , Jul 7, 2020 :
    The festival of Onam is celebrated throughout the state of Kerala.During Onam is marked by happiness, excitement and enjoyment among all sections of people. Onam is celebrated as an outcome of reasons that have to do with mythology as well as old agrarian practices. If one is to go by the myth, then King Mahabali or Maveli was a generous and virtuous ruler, who had once ruled Kerala. During his rule, the kingdom became so prosperous that devas (gods of the Heaven) felt jealous about this and also for the reason that King Mahabali was an asura - a member of the demon clan - who were the enemies of devas. So, they sent Lord Vishnu in the guise of Vamana (a dwarf) to King Mahabali. As an offering from the generous king, Vamana requested Mahabali for three feet of land. And at the time of measuring the three feet of land,Vamana grew so huge that he measured all the worlds in two steps. Since he had nowhere else to place his third step, Mahabali asked Vamana to place it on his head. Pleased by his benevolence, Vamana blessed Mahabali before he was sent to the nether world and granted him permission to visit his dear subjects once in a year. This occasion is celebrated by all Keralites as Onam.

And the other cause for celebrating Onam is because it is the time of the year when a good harvest has been gathered all over Kerala, resulting in plenitude and happiness.

The celebrations for Onam are held for ten days, beginning with the atham asterism in the month of Chingam (August / September) as per the local calendar.

1594150601762.jpg

1594150601781.jpg

1594150832258.jpg

buntycubal, deep0611, SRD. and 4 others like this.
  7. manojsurya99
    Jelly Bean Jul 7, 2020

manojsurya99 , Jul 7, 2020 :
    So in Vizianagaram, very near the town Puri, there is this festival called Pydithallamma jatara or rather Sirimanu utsavam. Pydithallamma is considered as goddess protecting the town and this festival is the biggest in the surrounding 3-4 districts in Andhra Pradesh.
    It starts off with mandala deeksha meaning a 40 days prayer offering while Sirimanu Utsavam is the main attraction in this 40 days. Sirimanu Utsavam happens on the first Tuesday after Dussehra which is said to attended by nearly 4 lakh people on average. Once the 40 day count starts, the priest of the temple, possessed by the goddess, will tell where a tree trunk will be available. Exactly in that place, a lean 50-60 feet tree trunk will be available. And that trunk would be brought near the temple and on the top of the trunk, the priest will be sitting and will hold the goddess in hand.
    The procession will start from the temple and goes till the Vizianagaram fort three times. The procession has the following components:
    It starts with white elephant. Earlier kings used to run this proccession by sitting on the elephant now a elephant shape is created and will be moved in front of the procession to continue the tradition..
    Then comes Paladhara, which is an umbrella made with fishing nets. This is created by fisherman of almost 3-4 district praying for their welfare and livelihood as all these districts are coastal districts on Bay of Bengal.
    Then continues with Anjali Radham.. It is a chariot which has 5 married woman sitting on it. Since the goddess is unmarried, these married ladies will shower the blessings for all married ladies..
    Finally comes the main chariot, to which the Sirimanu (lean tree trunk) is attached and the temple priest sits on top of the trunk holding goddess. The Sirimanu comes to the fort and the kings present the new clothes and other things to the priest.
    This procession will come 3 times to the fort which is about 300 mtrs from the temple. This has been happening since 18th century and is one of the oldest festivals in Andhra Pradesh.

Read more at: https://vizianagaram.ap.gov.in/flairs-and-festivals/

8. vipulmehta_
    Gingerbread Jul 7, 2020

9. joshilal07
    Eclair Jul 8, 2020

10. SRD.
    Lollipop Jul 8, 2020

SRD. , Jul 8, 2020 :
    Thanks Girish. Waiting for your favourite part of festival.

Dresa91 and Girish.Pranav like this.
  11. SRD.
    Lollipop Jul 8, 2020

SRD. , Jul 8, 2020 :
    Thank you for sharing. Looks Amazing. Hope the world is purified from evil spirits soon.

Cakepips and Dresa91 like this.
  12. SRD.
    Lollipop Jul 8, 2020

SRD. , Jul 8, 2020 :
    Great to know @fragargon and the video is awesome. Thanks for sharing. And some Belgian Chocolates for the entire OP family . 😊

Thanks for Sharing Sagar. Good to know about GONGYO and Butsudan. Hope together we'll chant for world peace.

That was the reason why I wrote the thread. I know many of our favourite festivals are not celebrated as they were before. So by sharing in this forum we can virtually celebrate. May lord bless all a

Thanks @Starcommander for your kind words. Eagerly waiting to listen what's your favourite one.

fragargon and Dresa91 like this.
  13. Deepak_koslia
    Honeycomb Jul 8, 2020

Dresa91 and SRD. like this.
  14. SRD.
    Lollipop Jul 8, 2020

SRD. , Jul 8, 2020 :
    Navratri is one of my favourite festival too. May Maata bless all to celebrate the festival the way it was celebrated before. The ambiance at garba is unmatched. Thanks for sharing.

Ahh ! The Sadya prepared during Onam is one of the best. Onam is a great festival to celebrate and be with. Thanks for sharing.

This is strange but interesting. The same is the case when wood for Rath Yatra is choosen. The priest can see a wood in dreams and exactly the location is found in reality.

Thanks for sharing May goddess save us from evil.

What else can define an Indian culture than Diwali. One of my favourite festival of lights and victory of good over evil. Hope by Diwali the pandemic is over.

Such a beautiful place Kerala is. God's own country. Lots of cultural festivals. I Went there this January , got some time to watch Kathakali , kalaripayattu .
    Thanks for Sharing.

15. SRD.
    Lollipop Jul 8, 2020

SRD. , Jul 8, 2020 :
    Thanks Deep. Waiting to see your favourite festival.

Dresa91 and deep0611 like this.
  16. NiyasAhamed
    Honeycomb Jul 8, 2020

17. SRD.
    Lollipop Jul 8, 2020

Dresa91 and NiyasAhamed like this.
  18. NiyasAhamed
    Honeycomb Jul 8, 2020

SRD. and Dresa91 like this.
  20. sumitMZ007
    Jelly Bean Jul 8, 2020

sumitMZ007 , via OnePlus 6 , Jul 8, 2020 :
    1594180957570.jpg
    Ganesh Chaturthi also known as Vinayaka Chaturthi (Vināyaka Chaturthī), is a Hindu festival celebrating the arrival of Ganeshha to earth from Kailash Parvat with his mother Goddess Parvati/Gauri. The festival is marked with the installation of Ganesha clay idols privately in homes, or publicly on elaborate pandals(temporary stages). Observations include chanting of Vedic hymns and Hindu texts such as, prayers and (fasting).Offerings and prasadam from the daily prayers, that are distributed from the pandal to the community, include Sweets such as modaka as it is believed to be a favourite of Lord Ganesh.The festival ends on the tenth day after start, when the idol is carried in a public procession with music and group chanting, then immersed in a nearby body of water such as a river or sea.these 10days brings happiness and peace to the society and family