File Manager app is quite slow

1. rhq15
    Froyo Oct 21, 2017

rhq15 , Oct 21, 2017 :
    For a phone with such impressive RAM and Processor, the time it takes to open up something via the file manager app is embarrassingly slow. When you first open up the file manager app, it takes quite a few seconds to load up the contents for e.g Photos, Videos, etc. When going into one of these categories, as mentioned previously, it takes quite a few seconds to load up the contents. Why is this so? The contents of the gallery app seem to load up just fine, quite instantly in fact. Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't content that is installed on the phone be preloaded? I hope oneplus speeds up the loading times of the file manager app with an update if that's possible.

2. Muruganvel
    Cupcake Oct 21, 2017

3. rhq15
    Froyo Oct 21, 2017

rhq15 , Oct 21, 2017 :
    It's quite embarrassing really. The speed and fluidity of this phone seems to be it's main selling point. I've seen phones with less impressive specs handle loading files via the file manager app faster than this.

4. Muruganvel
    Cupcake Oct 21, 2017

5. F_Divyam_Anand_zzgf
    Donut Oct 21, 2017

6. unimke
    Gingerbread Oct 21, 2017

unimke , Oct 21, 2017 :
    use solid explorer or ES explorer from play store. I use the former.

Karl_Wardin likes this.
  7. Karl_Wardin
    Gingerbread Oct 21, 2017

8. PARTHI_SaNjay
    Honeycomb Oct 21, 2017

9. TheMystic
    Lollipop Oct 21, 2017

TheMystic , Oct 21, 2017 :
    delete the app data and cache for file manager app. that will fix it. if still unhappy, you have some very good file managers on the play store. solid explorer, es file explorer, amaze file explorer, Xplorer file manager, etc.

10. TheMystic
    Lollipop Oct 21, 2017

also, make sure you have backed up the files in secure folder. I am not sure if they would be deleted when you delete app data.

11. xtero9
    Froyo Oct 21, 2017

xtero9 , Oct 21, 2017 :
    Use ES File Explorer Pro, the non pro version sucks

12. rhq15
    Froyo Oct 21, 2017

rhq15 , Oct 21, 2017 :
    Having to rely on a third party app for something so simple is pathetic. Especially when the app you're trying to replace cannot be deleted. It's just a big mess. Really hope OP does something about this.

13. rhq15
    Froyo Oct 21, 2017

rhq15 , Oct 21, 2017 :
    Ah I seem to have made a mistake here. So the app IS actually uninstallable. My mistake, however it still is a shame how the native app of a phone with such impressive specs has such disappointing performance. I suppose I'll be trying the apps suggested by people now. Thank You all and hopefully OnePlus realizes this issue and takes action.

14. rhq15
    Froyo Oct 21, 2017

rhq15 , Oct 21, 2017 :
    I really do like the clean interface of the app though.

15. rhq15
    Froyo Oct 21, 2017

rhq15 , Oct 21, 2017 :
    That did not fix it and also no, it did not delete files.

16. TheMystic
    Lollipop Oct 21, 2017

I know it won't delete files in general. I was only refering to the ones held in secure folder. are you confirming deleting app cache and data won't delete those files?

17. rhq15
    Froyo Oct 21, 2017

rhq15 , Oct 21, 2017 :
    Yes, I am. Also I tried quite a few third party apps. None of them are aesthetically pleasing as the native file manager app. Quite sad really, having to sacrifice aesthetics for speed or speed for aesthetics. I don't see why a simple files app cannot have both. Feel free to suggest apps you know about which you think possess both.

18. TheMystic
    Lollipop Oct 21, 2017

I disagree with you. ES File Explorer is the most functional and feature rich file explorer that will never fail you. Solid Explorer has great aesthetics and also fully functional and feature rich. So are Amaze file explorer, Xplorer file manager, MiXplorer, etc.

native file manager doesn't support SMB access or cloud access as far as I know. a file manager without these two is not of much use for me.

I will always have atleast one of these on my device. how are you managing without one of these?

19. rhq15
    Froyo Oct 21, 2017

rhq15 , Oct 21, 2017 :
    All I really require is a simple fast app like the Native OP app. Everything is right there on the main page arranged just the way I want. I don't want pictures and Videos arranged in folders like it is in the gallery app. If I want to find images arranged in folders I'll simply use the gallery app however I use the files app to view all my pictures and videos arranged from most recent to oldest, not in folders. The only thing the Native OP file does not have which I require is speed really. Aesthetics I suppose are personal preferences really since I don't really like the looks of the apps you suggested, thank you for suggesting them though.

20. TheMystic
    Lollipop Oct 21, 2017

did you check if others have speed issue with their file manager app. because it is quite fast on my phone (3T).

also note that the native file manager only shows the files on your device, but can't open or play them. for that it relies on other apps like gallery, video player and document readers.

you do have gallery apps that can show you your media files without organising them in folders. check these out:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kr.co.ladybugs.fourto

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fstop.photo

FILE MANAGER (of the type you may like)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cvinfo.filemanager - this one is good and SMB works

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.asus.filemanager

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.generalmobile.app.gmfilemanager

there could be others you may like.

Sun90 likes this.