FiLMiC pro noise level

1. mkoelsch Gingerbread Jul 28, 2018

mkoelsch, Jul 28, 2018 :
    Hi folks,

I'm super happy with my OnePlus 6 and recently bought a DJI OSMO mobile 2 for more creative possibilities when recording videos. Also app-wise I bought FiLMiC Pro and must say, that outdoors when the sun's out the results are quite nice :)
    However indoors or when it's a bit darker, the results I get from the FiLMiC app are rather nasty and the image has a super high level of noise. I quickly cut a comparison together to illustrate the problem. Make sure to watch fullscreen and hd/4k :)

So, question is: who else is filming with FiLMiC pro and can confirm the problem or might have an advice for the settings. I got it set to 4k video, Filmic-Extreme quality and 30fps.

Thanks in advance :)

2. Frost1601 Gingerbread Jul 28, 2018

Frost1601, Jul 28, 2018 :
    Yeah I used Filmic Pro but the noise was just so F*cking high making all my shots useless :/ hope there will be some fix soon

freal0s, NateDev and ScaleUpEd like this.
  3. mkoelsch Gingerbread Jul 28, 2018

mkoelsch, Jul 28, 2018 :
    Hm, on the one hand glad to hear I'm not the only one, but also sad to hear that it is not just a setting but an actual issue :(

Outdoors the quality of the FiLMiC app is just awesome <3

ScaleUpEd likes this.
  4. ScaleUpEd Donut Aug 14, 2018

ScaleUpEd, Aug 14, 2018 :
    I have exactly the same problem. Thanks for diagnosing and illustrating so well. I have emailed Filmic Support and pointed to this thread. I will update with response.

5. ScaleUpEd Donut Aug 14, 2018

Response from Filmic Pro:

Hi Ed,

Thank you for writing in. Could you please experiment with the Noise Reduction settings found in FiLMiC Settings>Device to see if any of these settings reduce the noise level in your footage? Some errors in OnePlus' camera framework bring about some restrictions we need to try and force our way around. One of the ways we are trying to do this is by including these noise reduction settings on problematic devices.

The video posted to the forum compares other apps that do not require proper implementation of the Camera2 API, as FiLmiC Pro does. The DJI GO app calls the Camera1 Api, which is the same as the native camera app, whereas FiLMiC Pro requires the Camera2 Api in order to support the app's advance features and manual control.

We will continue to look for ways to improve functionality and image quality on the OP6, but it's likely that One Plus will need to correct some issues with their Camera2 implementation before noise levels are comparable between FiLMiC Pro and any Camera1 application. For now, we recommend keeping ISO levels as low as possible and planning to correct some noise in post, when needed.

Thanks for your patience.

Best Regards,
    FiLMiC Pro Android Support

6. ScaleUpEd Donut Aug 14, 2018

It would be good to hear from OP when there is an intended fix to their Camera2 API implementation?

7. ScaleUpEd Donut Aug 14, 2018

I followed up with a question to Filmic Pro:

"Question: if OnePlus correctly implement Camera2 API, does that mean Filmic Pro would be able to access the higher FPS's? At the moment Folmic is throttled to 30, but I know the h/w can do 480 (@ 720p)."

Their response:

"Regarding frame rates: that is correct. If One Plus open up the possibility for stable 3rd party access to higher frame rates, we will be quick to implement support."

My question to OP - 2 birds, one stone?

earthjumper and mkoelsch like this.
  8. mkoelsch Gingerbread Aug 16, 2018

mkoelsch, Aug 16, 2018 :
    Nice to hear, that I'm not alone. I also had a nice email correspondence with the developers from Filmic. They have a OP6 for testing purpose and luckily can reproduce the issue :) Also modifying the Noise-reduction-level brings no significant difference.

So yeah, it is a bug or shortcoming within the OS of the OP6. I sincerely hope that the Capera2API will get fixed sooner than later.
    Currently I only use Filmic in very well lit situations. For everything else I use a different app, like DJI Go.

But yes please OP fix the camera2API :)

9. yasii_leo Cupcake Oct 2, 2018

yasii_leo, Oct 2, 2018 :
    Isn't there a focusing issue on the dji go app? I seem to have it on my one plus 5t

10. mkoelsch Gingerbread Oct 3, 2018

mkoelsch, Oct 3, 2018 :
    I never had a problem with focusing in the DJI Go app on my 6.
    The anno Ing thing is the terrible noise, that give your videos an unwanted retro flair ;)

11. yasii_leo Cupcake Oct 3, 2018

yasii_leo, Oct 3, 2018 :
    I'm having totally jerky videos due to the focus or something else

12. freal0s Cupcake Dec 7, 2018

freal0s, Dec 7, 2018 :
    Any updates on this matter? i recently purchase Filmic Pro and was very disappointed in the video quality .. and i stumbled upon thread. any solutions to this?

any of u guys have any suggestions on how to counter this? i bought filmic pro because it supports smooth 4 and it enables external mic audio recording. ZY Play can't take audio from external mic right?

opinions on if i take video on ZY Play and using a audio recorder app simultaneously?

*update*

ZY Play also produces high noise in the vid, the only way was to shoot videos in the native camera app.. i am really dissapointed in OnePlus's take in this matter. Please adress this Camera2Api matter so that other developers can work around on it..

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018

13. mkoelsch Gingerbread Dec 7, 2018

mkoelsch, Dec 7, 2018 :
    Hi,
    so far I haven't heard any good news about this. In fact I'm quite frustrated, that OnePlus is so stubborn and wouldn't fix the issue.

The problem is you can either choose to use the OnePlus 6 to film with good audio quality (using Filmic Pro), or to make good video quality (using DJI Go etc).

I have no clue what to do. Can we escalate this to OnePlus-support in any way to get some kind of feedback (even if it is "sorry, won't fix this")?

Cheers :(

14. freal0s Cupcake Dec 7, 2018

15. mkoelsch Gingerbread Dec 7, 2018

16. freal0s Cupcake Dec 7, 2018

17. freal0s Cupcake Dec 12, 2018 at 6:29 PM

18. Frost1601 Gingerbread Dec 12, 2018 at 6:30 PM

19. v0 HaVoK 0v Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 12, 2018 at 6:35 PM

v0 HaVoK 0v, Dec 12, 2018 at 6:35 PM :
    OnePlus implementation of camera 2 api has been causing issues with lots of apps, I've been hoping they would fix this for a long time now but they never seem to fix it. So don't hold your breath, it would be great if they would but for now it seems they are just ignoring the issue

20. otto2 KitKat Dec 12, 2018 at 7:10 PM

otto2, Dec 12, 2018 at 7:10 PM :
    Oneplus Staff is busy implementing Nightscape Mode to the 6T and the 6, and they do not read what you All are writing here in the community. Go to feedback section and file a bug report. Best would be to ask for a Video pro mode, chances are high that this will get realized. Since we asked for a Video pro mode in Hamburg and repeatedly renewed our demand.

I m afraid, third party apps aren t on top of priority list. Own Apps/products are always the important ones.

Kytharsis likes this.