Finally! ... I decided to get one

1. bondabcd985
    Eclair Sep 29, 2014

bondabcd985 , Sep 29, 2014 :
    Yes, as the title suggests I finally decided to get one. It is not the usual "Yay! Finally I was able to get one" coz I had the good fortune to wait, research and decide. My good friend was graceful enough to keep an invite and share it with me when I decided to take the plunge. Right, so without further ado let me share my experience so far ( It has been less than 72 hours since I first lay hands on my OPO ). I don't want to go into all the techy details as there are already 100s of professional reviews out there for that stuff. This is just my personal experience that might help someone out there.

Initially, I was cross shopping the OPO against the Nexus 5 and the MOTO X. I prefer "unadulterated" android and have been using the Nexus 4 ( which I will dearly miss ) for the past 2 years. I love the design and feel of the Nexus 4, especially the glittery back. The Nexus 5 looked very sedate although it is a solid device. I never really felt the same love for the Nexus 5. The 2014 MOTO X received critical acclaim from most reviewers and though not completely stock, it seemed to come pretty close. So, my choices were mainly down to the OPO and MOTO X for the past month or so. I was tempted to wait for the Nexus 6/X/Shamu/Whatever but the OPO literally forced me to bite the bullet :).

Firstly, The phone felt solid and I do not know if it is because of the Sandstone back or if the Silk white has the same feel. It feels very sturdy for a phone with such a big form factor. My only gripe is the metal frame that runs along the edges of the screen. I prefer the front of the phone to look like one piece without bezels. Also, I am not sure how well the TPU cases which elevate the screen a little when the phone is face down would work with such a design. This is where the Nexus 4 design was awesome. Other than that, the rest of the hardware is pretty incredible for a phone that is so inexpensive. The sandstone back is very unique unlike anything I've ever experienced on a phone. It also makes the phone more grippy. The screen is very bright and the colors are vibrant. The Full HD resolution is perfect. I compared the LG G3 and the OPO side by side to see if the text was any sharper on the G3 ( much higher resolution 1440p ). From viewing distance, I failed to see any significant difference in the sharpness of text. The only reason I waited so long even though I could have had the OPO much sooner was Cyanogen. I was never really a fan of custom ROMs from the earliest versions of android. But, once I started using the OPO, I couldn't see any difference compared to the stock android on my nexus 4. Everything is so smooth and fast. Kudos to CM for creating such a stable ROM. It totally changed my perception of a custom ROM.

This is all I can think of mentioning right now. I will keep posting updates as I get to know my OPO more. So far, it seems I made the right decision. I feel sorry for those who are still waiting to get this awesome phone. I promise to share any invites that come my way. Cheers!

2. Bertti
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 29, 2014

3. vip_hi
    Cupcake Sep 29, 2014

4. Hanson Lee
    Marshmallow Sep 29, 2014

5. nameishenry
    Gingerbread Sep 29, 2014

nameishenry , Sep 29, 2014 :
    It was information like this (after a month of research too :p) that made my mind up on getting one!

Niccole22 likes this.
  6. angelicwaffles
    Honeycomb Sep 29, 2014

angelicwaffles , Sep 29, 2014 :
    I was going to say, tl;dr, congratulations though, enjoy your stay with OPO!!!!

Hanson Lee likes this.
  7. Tijmenvanwesterveld
    Cupcake Sep 29, 2014

Tijmenvanwesterveld , Sep 29, 2014 :
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Was it hard getting used to the 5.5 inch screen, since you are comming from a nexus 4?

8. bondabcd985
    Eclair Sep 29, 2014

Haha.. I've never really written any reviews before.. I didn't realize that while posting but it felt really long reading it afterwards :p

9. angelicwaffles
    Honeycomb Sep 29, 2014

angelicwaffles , Sep 29, 2014 :
    It's alright, I understand! Once you get goin', you usually keep rolling :D

10. bondabcd985
    Eclair Sep 29, 2014

Well.. not really. Even while using the Nexus 4 I always thought I can use a bigger screen. It hasn't been a real problem for me so far but that may be coz of deep pockets on my pants .. lol :D.

11. Tijmenvanwesterveld
    Cupcake Sep 29, 2014

Tijmenvanwesterveld , Sep 29, 2014 :
    Good! I also have a 4.7 inch screen right now, and want to upgrade to the OPO. 5.5 inch seems just fine by me, i also have deep pockets so that won't be a problem :)
    Thanks!

12. jmhashmi
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 29, 2014

13. donc10
    Gingerbread Sep 29, 2014

14. mohammed32
    Jelly Bean Sep 29, 2014

15. n.verma
    Cupcake Sep 29, 2014

16. Trusconi
    Jelly Bean Sep 29, 2014

17. tabascouk
    Jelly Bean Sep 29, 2014

18. bikergirk
    Gingerbread Sep 29, 2014

bikergirk , Sep 29, 2014 :
    I enjoyed your review. It was the perfect remedy as I've been thinking about note 4.Now I'll definitely save my pennies for the OPO. The non-techy cell love did it for me. Smooooch!