Fingerprint reader disabled again and again

1. OP Newbie
    Cupcake Jun 10, 2020

OP Newbie , Jun 10, 2020 :
    I am using the fingerprint reader and a rather long and secure password. Now and then the fingerprint login seems to be disabled and I am forced to input the password. This happens _without_ the phone restarting. It is quite annoying as I have chosen a very long and secure password. Inputting this after a reboot is fine. But otherwise I would very much prefer to use the fingerprint reader only.

Is anyone aware of why this happens? I understand that this can happen if the fingerprint is repeatedly not recognized due to moisture/dryness or lighting conditions. But this is not the case for me in the reported instances. I e.g. pick the phone up in the morning or take it out of my pocket and find that I can't use the fingerprint.

2. Artemus.
    Nougat Jun 10, 2020

Artemus. , Jun 10, 2020 :
    How long do you let the phone sit that it forces you to put in the password? This could very well be a security feature of Android.

3. OP Newbie
    Cupcake Jun 22, 2020

OP Newbie , Jun 22, 2020 :
    Sorry for the late replay. Something seems broken with the email notifications here.

How long? Couple of hours. But that cannot be it. Otherwise I'd have this every morning. Which I don't.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020

4. Artemus.
    Nougat Jun 22, 2020

Artemus. , Jun 22, 2020 :
    There's an easy workaround: check your email client manually which is a lot easier than waiting around for a notification.

5. OP Newbie
    Cupcake Jun 23, 2020

OP Newbie , Jun 23, 2020 :
    Funny. My email client is not the issue. I did not get a notification from this forum. Again, btw, with this answer of yours.

But back to the fingerprint reader. I already had thought of a security feature. But it seems so erratic, sometimes it happens after rather brief periods of inactivity (like minutes).

6. OP Newbie
    Cupcake Jun 24, 2020

7. OP Newbie
    Cupcake Jun 28, 2020

OP Newbie , Jun 28, 2020 :
    Huh, posting here is surprisingly little helpful. OnePlus, after all, seems to be still a small startup with very little expertise in the community and care for customers' surprisingly annoying problems. This is disappointing.

8. Artemus.
    Nougat Jun 28, 2020

Artemus. , Jun 28, 2020 :
    Do note this is a community forum not official tech support. Of course posting here is "surprisingly little helpful" because it's users helping users.

9. OP Newbie
    Cupcake Jun 28, 2020

10. OP Newbie
    Cupcake Jun 28, 2020

I don't know what to do anymore. I have registered my fingerprints in a moderately lit room, very thoroughly, and it worked really well. Now when my finger is rather dry, e.g. right after waking up, or when I am outside and there is a lot of ambient light, my finger is not recognized. Being on a mountain tour or out on the streets in traffic is a really bad time for inputting a 20-digit secure password.

This is the worst fingerprint reader I ever had on a phone.

@Artemus: I don't think this merge was helpful. This is a different topic. When the fingerprint reader is not disabled, there are issues with reliability due to e.g. ambient light. You are not contributing to me getting answers to my questions this way. Your behavior is not very helpful.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020

11. Artemus.
    Nougat Jun 28, 2020

Artemus. , Jun 28, 2020 :
    The solution: switch to a simpler password or go for a pattern/PIN if the password you chose is too long for you to enter. The fingerprint gets disabled automatically if the phone is sat for too long for security purposes and happens on all devices regardless of price. Hell, even the ones on the back require a password even after scanning your fingerprint.

12. OP Newbie
    Cupcake Jun 28, 2020

I will not lower my security for a bad fingerprint reader implementation. I rather get a different phone.

And it cannot be the long time my phone sits idly. Because - as I have stated earlier - if I pick my phone up in the morning, after 6-10 h of inactivity, the FP reader just works fine.

I would understand this kind of a security implementation, even appreciate it. It would kind of protect my phone in case I forget it somewhere. But it does not seem to be this expanation.

13. OP Newbie
    Cupcake Jun 28, 2020

@Artemus: Please undo this merge. The fingerprint reader having issues with ambient light is a completely different problem. You are not contributing to me getting a solution to my problem. Effectively, this merge obfuscates the issue I reported.

14. OP Newbie
    Cupcake Jun 28, 2020

@Artemus: I kind of feel like being silenced. I don't like that. Please respond and please revert the merge. Otherwise I will re-post my second thread about the unreliability, which will start an argument between us and at the end I will get banned because I don't "play ball". And nobody wants that, right?

15. OP Newbie
    Cupcake Jul 1, 2020

OP Newbie , Jul 1, 2020 :
    So I think part of what happens is that I pick up my phone and put it in my pocket. And the FP reader is so sensitive that while being in my pocket, it tries to read a finger and eventually gives up. Then I take my phone out of the pocket and find the FP reader disabled and wrongfully attribute it to something happening while it sat idle on my table.

TL;DR: The FP reader appears to be to sensitive for having my phone in the butt pocket. It tries to be a butt print reader, and fails.

I'll probably have to disable the Ambient Display, activating the FP reader on orientation change. Which makes me very sad as I find the Ambient Display quite helpful.

16. OP Newbie
    Cupcake Jul 4, 2020 at 1:43 PM

OP Newbie , Jul 4, 2020 at 1:43 PM :
    And it happened again. My phone sat on my sofa for ~1h. Picked it up and FP reader was disabled.

Kind of a piece of crap device.

17. Artemus.
    Nougat Jul 5, 2020 at 10:23 AM

Artemus. , Jul 5, 2020 at 10:23 AM :
    Um... this is called "security".

18. J_Duece_81
    Gingerbread Jul 7, 2020 at 2:11 PM

19. Artemus.
    Nougat Jul 7, 2020 at 8:21 PM

20. J_Duece_81
    Gingerbread Jul 8, 2020 at 5:10 AM