Other Fingerprint scanner gimmick

1. axbog Gingerbread Dec 7, 2018

axbog, Dec 7, 2018 :
    I've had the OP6T since the first week it launched and I've been using the fingerprint scanner a lot.
    I will be short: it sucks. It's more of a gimmick than a feature. It's slow and painfully inaccurate. It is hindering the way you use your phone, adding time and nerves where it's unnecessary. I don't think optic fingerprint scanners are the way forward, since this is actually a few steps backwards.

I wish they kept the headphone jack and put something else like wireless charging, which actually makes your life easier and is useful. But I get it. The company that owns them also owns VIVO who had the technology. All I'm saying, it's not in the spirit of OnePlus to have gimmicky stuff on the phone. It should be kept pure, simple and fast. If it makes life hard, it has no place in the phone. And they made it double hard by taking out the jack and putting in this abomination.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018

prasad_inturi likes this.
  2. NeVeR_SeTTLe The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Dec 7, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe, Dec 7, 2018 :
    There were reviews written, one of the reviews was written by @Shivang Joshi and he explained his thoughts on the under display fingerprint sensor. Take a look here

No need in opening up a thread just for this ;)

Shivang Joshi and vijay_lalwani like this.
  3. axbog Gingerbread Dec 7, 2018

axbog, Dec 7, 2018 :
    And these are my thoughts on the under display fingerprint sensor. And I decided I wanted to open a thread just for this. Is there a problem?

4. NeVeR_SeTTLe The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Dec 7, 2018

It's redundant. :)

Shivang Joshi and vijay_lalwani like this.
  5. axbog Gingerbread Dec 7, 2018

axbog, Dec 7, 2018 :
    Give me a break...

6. zeaphonflame Cupcake Dec 7, 2018

zeaphonflame, Dec 7, 2018 :
    I agree with you about the finger print sensor but how is work less charging convenient? isn't it slower? (I don't know just heard it was)

7. Yadav sid Cupcake Dec 7, 2018

Yadav sid, Dec 7, 2018 :
    many times when screen is off then fingerprint sensor doesn't work at that moment.
    we have to use power key first..

one thing to tell..you can set your same finger again after erasing first data..then it will work faster..as our fingerprints get some minimal distortion as the time passes..so set same finger after some time for better results..Thanks.

8. johnhart Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 7, 2018

johnhart, Dec 7, 2018 :
    There's this notion that folks who post on this board must have each and every corner of it memorized, follow a strict protocol of subject placement, cross Ts, dot Is, and become a board regular to be 'legit'.

If you've spent more than two years on internet boards you discover that -- almost always -- one main part of forum is where most discussion happens. That posting where nobody sees anything is a waste of time.

It is a complete waste of time to post an idea within a thread of 46 pages... more than half of which is made up of board regulars joking back and forth and mocking cupcakes.

nope1nope, axbog and Yadav sid like this.
  9. Yadav sid Cupcake Dec 7, 2018

Yadav sid, Dec 7, 2018 :
    absolutely,thanks man.

10. johnhart Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 7, 2018

johnhart, Dec 7, 2018 :
    I agree that this introduction is only so good. But I'm aware that this is the first domestic introduction of this feature, and accuracy plus speed will likely increase somewhere in 2019.

What I dislike is that the fingerprint thing pushes facial recognition back a spot, which is faster at the moment. I'd like a feature where both are invoked when you attempt to use the fingerprint... so that whichever gets their first 'wins'.

11. NeVeR_SeTTLe The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Dec 7, 2018

First off, I'm not mocking cupcakes.
    Secondly, the original poster is not a cupcake.
    Thirdly, there are posts of similar nature: https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/6t-fingerprint-scanner-inconsistent.940253/
    Lastly, it's a redundant thread and I didn't say anything wrong. There are community guidelines on this forum so I'm just letting the original poster know that there are threads already created and reviews mentioning it where you can also take your discussion there.

B_Wrath and Shivang Joshi like this.
  12. JuAnCaStRoP Gingerbread Dec 7, 2018

JuAnCaStRoP, Dec 7, 2018 :
    Can't open the link.

13. NeVeR_SeTTLe The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Dec 7, 2018

Shivang Joshi likes this.
  14. axbog Gingerbread Dec 9, 2018

axbog, Dec 9, 2018 :
    Again, thanks for your input. Very much appreciated. We will keep our own opinions tho.

15. axbog Gingerbread Dec 9, 2018

axbog, Dec 9, 2018 :
    I tried all methods. Even with the same finger. But in the end, the technology behind it is worse than the old scanners. It's far more sensitive to changes in fingertip texture too. For example, if you had your hands wet for a couple of minutes and your skin becomes a bit more softer, it will have problems recognizing it or it will read it slower. Same if the skin gets drier. They say it "learns". And it does, sometimes I can see that. But the times it manages to work perfectly are few and far between. I don't think beta technology like this had it's place in an OnePlus, at the expense of the headphone jack. Doesn't make sense. The company was about not making compromises, not having gimmicks.

16. komeci Donut Dec 9, 2018

komeci, Dec 9, 2018 :
    Fingerprint sensor works pretty bad, especially when it rains and it's wet, it's basically unusable.

EDIT:

It should be noted that it is possible to make fingerprint reader function better. They should have really emphasized that it should be set up in a dark room with neutral lightning. Since I set it up that way it works much better. I'm now pretty satisfied with it. But you have to be carefull how you set it up, It's also good to set it up twice for the same finger. You also need to set it up again if you change the screen protector on the screen.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018 at 2:01 PM

17. laocheebye Eclair Dec 9, 2018

laocheebye, Dec 9, 2018 :
    i bought the op6t just for this feature to have a front fingerprint scanner. back fingerprint scanner are so stupid u can't unlock ur phone without lifting the phone off the table. and the fingerprint sensor works brilliantly, so i think it is mostly a user's problem.