fingerprint scanner is terrible

1. sup3rbuck
    Donut Jan 12, 2020

sup3rbuck , Jan 12, 2020 :
    hi.
    my phone is about 3 months old and never has the fingerprint scanner worked well.
    it has major problems when it tries to scan, and it rarely works on the first try.

it also complains about screen being dirty even though I have cleaned both fingers and screen thoroughly.

I really hope it gets better on next update as I really don't want to go back to iPhone

2. xnutzii
    Lollipop Jan 12, 2020

xnutzii , via OnePlus 6T , Jan 12, 2020 :
    You probably haven't set up the sensor under the right circumstances.

Go into a dark room and setup the fingerprint, and even if OnePlus says don't do so, rescan the finger over more fingerprints you add.

For example, when you scan your index finger, scan your thumb (or reverse if your preference differs) in the "edge input" part of scanning the finger.

3. sup3rbuck
    Donut Jan 14, 2020

sup3rbuck , Jan 14, 2020 :
    thank you.
    I scanned like you suggested, I'm not sure if it's better, maybe a little.
    still not as consistent as my last 6 year old phone.

however, I have a feeling it might be the pre installed glass protection.
    I have ordered a new screen protector so I can try and remove the pre installed one.

4. thorgoth
    Donut Jan 14, 2020

thorgoth , Jan 14, 2020 :
    you should have started with saying that you are using a screen protector..now you know why you are facing an issue with one of the markets best Fingerprint scanner...

OIC71 likes this.
  5. stetre76
    Gingerbread Jan 15, 2020

stetre76 , Jan 15, 2020 :
    When using a screen protector I would advise to use a fully adhesive screen protector, or even better a screen protector that's UV cured!

With screen protectors that are not fully adhesive you have the problem that air can get between the display and the screen protector resulting in problems with the fingerprint sensor, as well as a not fully responsive display.

However, with the pre-installed protector from OnePlus these problems shouldn't occur...

RobbM likes this.
  6. sup3rbuck
    Donut Jan 18, 2020

sup3rbuck , Jan 18, 2020 :
    yes the original screen shouldn't cause the fingerprint scanner any issues.
    I've received the new 3rd party screen protector.
    but I'm not sure I wanna remove the pre installed one yet. I've read many have issues with the bevel.
    for now I just live with.
    I have it set where the face scanner pops up when fingerprint scanner not working.
    (as it won't every 2nd or 3rd time)

7. sup3rbuck
    Donut Feb 2, 2020

sup3rbuck , Feb 2, 2020 :
    hi,
    I just want to end this question.

after removing the original screen protector (Wich was very thick tbh) and installing a 3rd party protector.
    the fingerprint scanner has worked flawlessly. no problems at, it's a little difficult in complete darkness but that's not a issue.

8. stetre76
    Gingerbread Feb 2, 2020

stetre76 , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Feb 2, 2020 :
    Glad to hear your fingerprint works again as it should.
    Just a bit strange to hear that the pre-applied screen protector was thick... mine was really thin and not really high quality.