Fingerprint scanners and readers via OnePlus 7 Pro

1. FZ.
    Eclair Dec 5, 2019

FZ. , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Dec 5, 2019 :
    Hi I have a curiosity. Is there a technical reason for the advent of these damn fingerprint scanners? I don't know everybody else's experiences, but the old readers were perfect, like a mechanical switch, unlike the scanners which need to be more accustomed to, and even so they're not infallible. Of course this is not a 1+ trend, but all brands are following it. Are there any technical aspects that led to this, or it's just a trend, it's just that they are considered "cooler" at this time?
    Thanks

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019

2. FlixbusLennart
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Dec 5, 2019

FlixbusLennart , Dec 5, 2019 :
    In my eyes, it's all part of the recent push for seamlessness and minimalism in the past 5 years or so. Just like having a phone front that is 100% screen, hiding the camera as well as possible etc.
    Being "cooler" and looking better plays a great role in that, but it's also that companies are trying hard to find technical progress. So if your scanner unlocks the phone instantly, the logical way is to have a new type of scanner (like in screen FP) and push this tech to its limits. Which, in return, leads to better marketability. People just love new shit.

3. mlulic
    Honeycomb Dec 5, 2019

mlulic , Dec 5, 2019 :
    Same here. Loved te old finterprint scanners.
    It's easy to hide them tho, just put them as a part of 1+ logo on the back.

4. FZ.
    Eclair Dec 6, 2019

FZ. , Dec 6, 2019 :
    FlixbusLennart and mlulic, thanks for your opinions!
    As mlulic says it's easy to hide a fingerprint scanner in the back of the phone. Fingers are very sensitive and a frame that is a fraction of millimeter thick would be enough to locate it easily, so yes, I understand the trend to minimalism, but I'm not quite sure that fingerprint sensors were an obstacle to that. But that people like new shit is sure :).

Actually it wasn't just curiosity. I think that what led me to ask this regards the usability of the phone. I come from the 5T, which I consider a perfect phone. I took it in my hands again after some use of the 7 pro, and it amazed me how it was slim, light and easier to use compared to the 7pro. That is, the 7 pro is a great phone and I don't regret the purchase, but "daily use" is important to me, and I think that in this case it lost a bit if compared to previous model(s). And the change of FP sensor type contributed to that, along with other things.
    But it's a great phone :D