First full-res camera samples of that cute girl :)

1. ozi2007
    Froyo Apr 12, 2014

ozi2007 , Apr 12, 2014 :

Great post. I couldn't agree with you more.

What smartphone camera do you prefer the most? I actually like the iPhone 5S camera a lot. Great colors (yes, they tend to be a tiny bit on the oversatured side, but hey, most pictures look magnificent!).

The Lumia 1020 seems also to be great but because of the huge 38 MP size of the pictures it takes, processing takes ages and so the camera is hard to handle and you'll miss a lot of important moments.

All flagship Android phones so far (I really don't know why. Maybe it's because of the ISPs in the Snapdragon processors) seem to be crap. I'm sorry to say it that way. You can smoke HTC right away. The M7 & M8s camers are worse than smartphone camers we had four years ago. The only one I liked was the Galaxy S4's camera. But in general there seems to be way too much overprocessing in Android cameras. The LG G2, Xperia Z1 and Galaxy Note 3 have okay cameras but even those high end phones seem to overexpose the sky. They also have a very artificial look to it and colors seem to be rather dull.

And in all honesty: The Galaxy S5 is even worse then its predecessor the S4. The pictures might look good if taken from a 2 meter distance to the object. But once you get over 15 meters away the pictures become grainy, overprocessed and full of artifacts.

I had my hopes on the OPO because I thought they might go the Apple way: soft images with nice, slightly oversaturated colors. If you check out samples from the Xperia Z1s and Z2 you can see that they're going behind Apple with their colors. Maybe it's because of the bigger sensor?
    Heck, even copying the iPhone concept would be amazing. They would stand out in the Android camera department. And get credits for one of the best cameras around. Also with 13 megapixels you really don't any aggressive sharpening.

As much as I hate Apple, I must admit that the only thing holding me back from going again to Android are the cameras they have cameras. Gotta hate that tiny 4 inch screen.There's some pictures off flickr below so you guys can see what I mean. Look at the colors, dynamic range, level of contrast and the depth of field. 10/10. They managed to do that with all the older iPhone models since the 4S using the Exmor R sensors from Sony.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nickmurphyphotos
    Froyo Apr 12, 2014

nickmurphyphotos , Apr 12, 2014 :
    @ozi2007

Unfortunately, I only have experience with the two Android smartphones that I have owned. My first smartphone was the Galaxy Nexus. That one tied me to a family plan on Verizon; in October I decided to break the tethers and purchased an unlocked HTC One Developer's Edition. Neither phone impressed me with the camera. I still find myself reaching for the Sony RX100 I try to carry as much as possible, because it is a freakin' amazing point-and-shoot, and still small enough to fit in my pocket. I asked my company if they would compensate me for phone service; they said no, so I had them give me an iPhone 5s and took its SIM and put it in my HTC One. I let a friend use the iPhone because I personally have no use for it; as such I have not had the pleasure of trying the camera on it.

Regarding those three images you posted; even with the low-res inline images, you can tell that the camera captures detail, and much better than any Android phone.

Honestly, I don't regard my current and previous smartphone cameras as worth a damn; and even if I have no other option I sometimes don't even try to capture an image because I know it is just going to be crap. This makes me really sad. I know the adage goes that "the best camera is the one you have with you," but there's only so much you can do with the tools we currently have. That saying may be and probably is most applicable to photojournalism, but for landscape stuff like above, I think it's completely irrelevant. I'd rather just enjoy the scene with my senses than get frustrated by trying to take a picture with a crap camera.

As a less relevant side note, my HTC One decided to brick itself a couple of weeks ago (seems to be a defective hardware issue from what I've read; it will not charge), so I'm biding my time while waiting for the OPO using a ZTE Prelude on Aio that I got for free. *shudder* The OPO can't come soon enough.

Edit: I just looked at the photos at 100%, and there is still much to be desired (through no fault of the photographer). Granted, they're still better than the GNex and HTC One, but there is noticable softness from noise reduction, and some artifacting, especially in the sky. I think there is a limiting factor based on the sensor size as to how much detail you can capture, and that may be what we're seeing. There is no way a small sensor can compete with a decent point-and-shoot, much less a DSLR, when it comes to capturing detail.

Personally, I'd prefer to have a sharper image with less NR, because I'd take a little grain over a softer, smoother image in most cases, because the NR tends to make an image look flatter and unnatural upon closer inspection. However, for web use, this camera is more than adequate (the shots look really nice when viewed inline and only break down when you look at them closely at 100%). You're just not going to see that NR softness/noise/artifacting when your picture is only 800-1000 px wide for web viewing. IMO even if you upload a nicely web-sized jpg Facebook is still going to **** it up by compressing it even further.

You could probably make a decent 4x6 print with those files, but I wouldn't trust anything larger to hold up very well.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014

3. riffraff81
    KitKat Apr 12, 2014

riffraff81 , Apr 12, 2014 :
    nice photos,

put these on my computer and they have the same grain issue once you zoom in. i'd say these pics and 1+ pics are about the same.

did you read the post about the smog issue?

4. fabripav
    Honeycomb Apr 12, 2014

zisworg, K25TM and Sparkolo like this.
  5. riffraff81
    KitKat Apr 12, 2014

6. DxTcmix
    Gingerbread Apr 12, 2014

DxTcmix , Apr 12, 2014 :
    Sofar the shots look good, the overexposure is from the smog for sure, but I will say that software will improve the exposure to some extent. I cannot wait to own this device. Keep the photo samples coming :)

7. rephaelhermon
    Honeycomb Apr 12, 2014

8. nickmurphyphotos
    Froyo Apr 12, 2014

nickmurphyphotos , Apr 12, 2014 :
    I just took a look at these hi-res files, and I'm pretty impressed! There is a lot of detail present, and it seems they're taking a conservative approach with noise reduction, which I'm happy to see (in the cafe picture you can see some color noise, which is pretty easy to remove, which shows they're not doing much to the photos). Areas that are in focus have quite the level of detail; in the first photo you can make out some of the individual hairs on her arm where they're backlit. I have posted some 100% crops (one from each image) along with comments below.

The bokeh seems nice overall:
    qcwdamm.jpg

Another plus seems to be the relative lack of noise for such a small sensor (although, that is no way to eat a hamburger!):
    henhaochi.jpg

One thing I find interesting is that the skin seems to be softened, whether through in-camera processing or otherwise. It's pretty noticeable in the cafe photo (compare the area around the eyes, mouth, and ears with the rest of the face). Also note the chromatic abberation where her white shirt meets the black sweater (there is some in the other photos as well):
    cafeiting.jpg

The skin softness seems to be present in the following image, too. In addition, I don't like the bokeh as much in this photo, and there seem to be some artifacts among the flowers:
    jiayou.jpg

Another thing I find interesting is the contrast between the detail resolved in the sneakers versus the jeans (maybe it has to do with the size of the features, or perhaps the different textures):
    szzyhjw.jpg

If these are all indeed from the OPO, I am quite impressed so far with the overall quality.

Akki and ElectricKite like this.
  9. Jakub Smolar
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 12, 2014

Jakub Smolar , Apr 12, 2014 :
    Impressive pictures. If this is 1+1 then they did a great job (not perfect, but good). I wonder if sth like OPPO Find 7 (50MP) would be possible here, after all its just a software feature, the hardware is the same after all...
    And yeah I see OPs concerns. Lets hope that is a software issue and they will deliver same quality as OPPO Find 7 ^^

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014

10. VincentV
    Gingerbread Apr 12, 2014

VincentV , Apr 12, 2014 :
    It's what you get when people don't understand exposure in the first place I guess. lol So quick to hate on photos they can't even confirm are real, and then ignorantly. People also have to realize pretty much everything they see up until release is most likely prototype/not final.

11. c.p
    Gingerbread Apr 12, 2014

12. Raider
    Eclair Apr 12, 2014

Raider , Apr 12, 2014 :
    the issues are software based, look at the find 7, the pictures from that phone are gorgeous and it uses the same sensor, most of my complains with the one plus, are over sharpening which is not that bad, i makes pictures downscaled more crisp, the exposure, and the detail (guess that's caused by the over exposure) but all of those can be solved with better software optimization, let's remember these are from a camera only build so hopefully the camera will be ready when the phone launches (btw the low light shots look really good overall)

13. hmrks
    Jelly Bean Apr 12, 2014

hmrks , Apr 12, 2014 :
    hm, I don't like the photos.. I know, unpopular opinion
    but the colors looks kinda washed out,
    sharpness is okay, not good, not bad
    and it seems that they were made with hdr or maybe something other,
    her skin looks just too soft
    all in all, I'm not impressed, a little bit disappointed :(
    I hoped for a iphone camera killer but I hope it will be at least better than s5

volteon likes this.
  14. Cuerex
    KitKat Apr 12, 2014

Cuerex , Apr 12, 2014 :
    oh you didn't mean her chest...

15. Cuerex
    KitKat Apr 12, 2014

Cuerex , Apr 12, 2014 :

16. jayendran
    Gingerbread Apr 12, 2014

rephaelhermon likes this.
  17. Radeon962
    KitKat Apr 13, 2014

Radeon962 , Apr 13, 2014 :
    I definitely could live with the photos. They look great for indoor shots (of her eating) and the outdoor ones look excellent. If this is the camera in more or less beta form, it should be fantastic after CM gets done with the software implementation.

18. ronf9982
    Cupcake Apr 13, 2014

19. Orion
    Donut Apr 13, 2014

Orion , Apr 13, 2014 :
    I'm very impressed with the pics. I have a Galaxy Nexus so anything looks better lol.

20. Radeon962
    KitKat Apr 13, 2014