Five Years of Never Settle - Join the celebration!

1. Trista W. Community Team Staff Member Dec 4, 2018

Trista W., Dec 4, 2018 :
    未标题-1.png
    Hello everyone.

How time flies! Can you believe it has already been five years since OnePlus was founded? On Dec 17, 2013 to be exact. As our 5th anniversary approaches, we hope you will join us in celebrating, via one of the following ways.

Send your best wishes via video
    We’d like to invite our community members to send us your best wishes via a short video to community@oneplus.com. We will share your clips at our celebration. It would be beyond awesome if you could end the video with 'Five years of Never Settle! Happy Birthday to OnePlus at XXX( your location)!'.

Note: Your native language is more than welcome. The video is advised to be in landscape (horizontal) format, filmed in at least FullHD quality (although 4K is preferred) and should feature you. Highly recommend group shots and dressing up in any OnePlus gear you have! The deadline is Dec 5 23:59 HKT. Only one day left, please seize the chance now!

Share your OnePlus story via photos and text
    These past five years, you have stood behind us, supporting and encouraging us. We've been through so much together. We'd love to hear your side of the story. Please feel free to answer one or more of these questions in your reply to this thread. The deadline of this mini-interview is Dec 10 23:59 HKT.
    1. What does OnePlus mean to you? How would you describe it?
    2. Did you meet someone or have a memorable experience because of OnePlus?
    3. Do you have anything interesting to share about or say to OnePlus fans in other countries?
    4. How would you comment on the growth of OnePlus during this 5-year period? Has it achieved your expectations?
    5. Do you have anything else you'd like to say to OnePlus? Or to someone at OnePlus?
    Please note: Those selected will each receive a surprise gift package. By submitting videos, text or images as part of this campaign, you agree to grant OnePlus Technology (Shenzhen) Co., Ltd. (“OnePlus”) a worldwide, royalty-free license to publicly reuse such submissions in its marketing materials. You agree that this usage shall constitute OnePlus’s legitimate business need. Any personal data contained in your submission will be managed in accordance with OnePlus’s Privacy Policy.

2. YASHPLUSONE. Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 4, 2018

YASHPLUSONE., Dec 4, 2018 :
    aha! nice one! will do sure [e]1f60a[/e]

1. OnePlus is not a brand, it's an emotion.
    it is a kid that I have seen grow from crawling to standing up high! it's been an experience, something to cherish for years together

2. I've met amazing people
    from the staff members @Shawn the L. is a great guy super friendly, I was the last one at 9 pm chatting with him
    and yeah he isn't quite comfortable with selfies but he laughed!

@Oliver Z. also is a great guy ,even though he isn't quite fluent in English it is easy to connect because we all are connected by one single thread OnePlus
    @Ruby G. is another great example she is a friend, always open to ideas always ready to help this is one person I will remember for a long time.

from the moderators.
    by default @SoniaB (needs no further explanation)

from the community @dsmonteiro (same as above)

from the users,
    it has to be @cdnfarmer we met on a crossroad oh sorry, crosswords and now are battling between time zones to get a chance to exchange messages (really long ones)

we meet many people everyday on the forums, we make friends and foes. but at the end what really matters is that we are all a family!

3. Aha! to all the countries except India,
    guys don't be jealaous we just get extra attention because we are the real definition of fanboys.
    jokes apart, OnePlus's journey in India has been great so far and will surely be until the end of time. India is the real definition of love ,affection and loyalty. never has this country ever given so much of love to a brand before.
    I am sure many of you can relate and @Carl and @Pete can surely confirm that.

4. OnePlus growth? Hmm.....
    Well this shouldn't be tough, we all know it's their 5th anniversary and the footprint it has in the industry is enough to say it is a strong contender.
    As stated earlier it's a child we as a community have raised together, no second thought to that. Its growth is impeccable, it is difficult to get it right every time. We make mistakes too! Don't we? But at the end what really matters is to recover and emerge even stronger. Something that we have already seen.
    And the fact that in such a short amount of time it has the entire industry's concentrations speaks for the brand, it has redefined the word flagship and is currently a strong contender in the industry, oh, big boys make way! OnePlus started great is doing great and hopefully will do even better in the future. My expectations? I'm a needle in a haystack but the concentration and dedication towards the users has lived up to my expectations! Quality products, reasonable pricing, amazing Community and flawless service!
    One word : No complaints

5.Keep doing what you have been doing!
    Remember your roots and don't forget the people who backed you! You are extremely lucky to have the best staff members and also an amazing community. The I icing on the cake - great moderators.
    Do good, feel good!

Happy 5th anniversary OnePlus [e]1f60d[/e][e]1f60d[/e]

And yeah one last request "THE PIE"
    oops! i'm outta here BYEEEEEEE!

oh @Trista W. thanks for this [e]1f609[/e]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018

3. sapkotasriyas Gingerbread Dec 4, 2018

4. Aman_kalyan Gingerbread Dec 4, 2018

Aman_kalyan, Dec 4, 2018 :
    Here are my answers @Trista W.

1:
    OnePlus doesn't mean a company to me. It really is an emotion. I haven't yet seen any company other than OnePlus which works so closely with their community. The fact that helps it even more is the passion that the OnePlus community shares with the company for groundbreaking technology and excellence.

2:
    There are quite a few people I came across through the OnePlus community and I'm grateful to know such tech enthusiasts.
    But one experience that is most memorable is the AMA with Szymon in New Delhi.
    No company (that I know of) involves it's consumers as much as OnePlus does. Unlike other companies which don't consider themselves responsible to answer our questions, OnePlus has always involved it's community. Szymon answered our every question (no matter how quirky the question was) in great detail. That interaction made me feel like I'm a part of a bigger picture and such things are few of the reasons why I love OnePlus.

3:
    We all may be divided by borders. We may have different languages, cultures, religion but if we're a part of this community it means we all share common sentiment and that is our enthusiasm for technology and I'm glad that I'm a part of it.

4:
    OnePlus One surprised me. It was an out of box idea from a company I hadn't heard of before but it blew my mind. It got me hooked to OnePlus. I wasn't able to get an invite for few months so I decided to wait for OnePlus 2. When OnePlus 2 came out, I'll be honest, I was a little disappointed and I decided to wait for one more year. Then came OnePlus 3 and oh boy, it changed the game. I bought it the day it was released followed by OnePlus 3T (I'm still using 3T). Since then, I've been recommending (even forcing) my family members , friends to buy OnePlus phones and anyone who bought any, hasn't complained yet.
    Now that I'm about to start earning, I can't wait to get a new OnePlus phone for myself.

As a company I would say it performed way better than what I expected. It started off as company for tech enthusiasts but now it is a household name.

5:
    Yes.
    Congratulations on completing 5 years.
    You're also now the leading smartphone brand in India (premium segment) so congrats for that as well.

One request : Please update the merchandise for the Indian store. It hasn't been updated for so long. We want to show our love by donning the T-shirts and other gear.

At last: Never Settle

5. meatandy Nougat Dec 4, 2018

6. The Exterminator Gingerbread Dec 4, 2018

7. Tobikage Marshmallow Dec 4, 2018

Tobikage, Dec 4, 2018 :
    Question for you.....And how many people are still here since 2014 ?

8. Martin Bonnet Froyo Dec 4, 2018

Martin Bonnet, Dec 4, 2018 :
    After one years you forget your customers, that's pretty sad and that doesn't match with your slogan :(

9. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Dec 4, 2018

Cheetosdust, Dec 4, 2018 :
    Many congratulations to OnePlus :cool:

What does OnePlus mean to you? How would you describe it?

A certain way of ascending to a different plane of existence. The devices that help me to live my daily life are also getaways to connect with other like-minded people. More than a brand, yet another brand, OnePlus allows me to tap into my own personality, expanding it while interacting with my peers.

I exist during my daily routine, buying groceries at the same time I discuss a new song; working while I browse a discussion about the newest feature. It’s a transcendence that’s not the splitting of the personality, but instead the improvement of certain aspects of it: OnePlus, the tech brand, is the seed from where the stems of each individual blossom and intertwined become a community.

Patience, cultural and technical details, love and care - all things I’ve started to pay more attention while being a stem from that seed. I’m here because OnePlus allowed me to be surrounded by people who, directly or indirectly, help me to improve upon myself; OnePlus allowed me to be part of a platform where I can let a plane of existence, the digital one, become more than just another kilobyte about tech. And with that, the plane of existence where my flesh moves is consequently a better one.

Do you have anything interesting to share about or say to OnePlus fans in other countries?

Browsing these forums is also to learn, respect and embrace different cultures, beliefs and quirks from around the world. I hope your passion for tech can also be a passion for respecting the individual and where he or she is coming from.

We have one world and if we all had the same aspects guiding our days, it would certainly be a world way less interesting. Let the different ways of thinking, believing and even loving become something that can make you have an inclusive heart, not a mind trying to prove that whoever you are is the only acceptable way.

As long as you are happy with who you are, let others be happy with who they are. Different countries, different cultures, different everything, one love: not OnePlus, but its community.

I hope that one day we can have a gigantic OnePlus Party (Carl will take care of the bill, I'm sure) where we can all celebrate our own countries and our own identities.

How would you comment on the growth of OnePlus during this 5-year period? Has it achieved your expectations?

During this five-year growth, it’s not about if it achieved my expectations, but how I adapted them to that growth. For me, it’s clear the company is not targeting customers who live to root their phones anymore. The OnePlus One days are long gone, the company matured, lost some of its allure and is trying to become more mainstream, more pop than indie, as the OnePlus 6T so clearly demonstrates.

The maturing process can also benefit the bootloaders lovers, but a OnePlus device is not something as unique as it used to be. It’s a process for the company, sure, but I truly believe it’s also a process for their original fans, many of them not embroiled deep in the trenches anymore.

The growth is actually one of the biggest question marks for me. I’m curious to see what the company will do to make those numbers continue to grow and if those steps will make it lose their identity until it’s nothing more than a name feeding a selling machine, thriving with each “this phone broke a record” and forgetting about its own auteur side.

I’m not saying that’s going to happen, but that I want to know how will the curvature continue to be described. If the millions and millions can be catered to make better products, that’s ok as long as the communication with their fans, this line of communication we still have here, is not lost during the process.

Do you have anything else you'd like to say to OnePlus? Or to someone at OnePlus?

Don’t become a puddle of stagnant thoughts. Innovation is usually associated with risks, but if you cruise launch after launch, people will start to crave the thrill and people will also start to seek those thrills elsewhere. And I don’t mean this strictly talking about new phones.

I already mentioned this many times before, but don’t be afraid to let your most talented fans be part of your backyard barbecue where usually the creative process is outlandish, so outlandish that some great ideas will arise.

For the community and for your products, for your staff members and for your interns: make a bed with your most comfortable bed sheets and then don’t forget to be silly, don’t forget to jump up and down, don’t forget to have some fun while creating something - that way, and only that way, you’ll have some safety even when you are trying do briefly defy the status quo.

And if you become the status quo, defying yourself is proving that while inventing is good, reinventing can be great.

Thank you, @Trista W. :cool:

10. Shivang Joshi The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Dec 4, 2018

Shivang Joshi, Dec 4, 2018 :
    Congratulations on the 5th Anniversary. I might write something for this. :)

Edit:

Here are some short replies to the short interview. ;)

What does OnePlus mean to you? How would you describe it?

OnePlus is much more than just another smartphone manufacturer. Not because they sell a few products other than smartphones, but because of what they’ve created along with those products. Yes, I’m talking about this rich interactive community.

For me, OnePlus is a family. And this community is a home to that family.

Did you meet someone or have a memorable experience because of OnePlus?

Someone? Nope. I met a lot of people, virtually. I met those people I would’ve probably never met if OnePlus never existed. And these people are those who make this community a beautiful place to be in. We talk with each other almost every single day. Talks can be from anything nonsensical (And that’s exactly what we do most of the times :p) to something, which is of great value to others. Hello Wormies and the Staff Members here. ;D

Memorable experiences? Hell yes. I’ve still not met anyone personally, but I would love to do that soon. But one of the most memorable experiences is working as a LAB Reviewer for the OnePlus 6T. It was really a fun process for me and I like doing that.

Do you have anything interesting to share about or say to OnePlus fans in other countries?

To all the OnePlus Fans in other countries, I respect you all. And yes, stay connected with this community as it is the medium through which we eliminate those distances between us.

How would you comment on the growth of OnePlus during this 5-year period? Has it achieved your expectations?

I’ve been following OnePlus since the OnePlus One was about to debut here, in India. I opened my Community account way back, but I was not much active during those days until I got my first OnePlus device – OnePlus 5. The last OnePlus device, having a front mounted capacitive Fingerprint Sensor and 16:9 screen. Even after using the OnePlus 6T, I still love my OnePlus 5.

Many technologies have advanced in these recent years. And it’s good to see that OnePlus has grown along with that. There are still certain omissions, which I’m personally not a fan of, but I’m still staying here to see what the future holds for OnePlus. I wouldn’t really say it has achieved my expectations, but I don’t expect them to. Also, OnePlus has achieved almost 70% of my expectations, which is still respectable.

Do you have anything else you'd like to say to OnePlus? Or to someone at OnePlus?

To every staff member at OnePlus, whether they’re a part of this community or not. I respect you and all your hard work that you put in to make some great products. But I would specifically like to call out @Ruby G., @David Y., @Crystal Z., @Shine L. and @Trista W. for being here on this community and interacting with us – the regular users. It feels special, and it gives the warmth that @Gary C. talked about in one of the recent announcement threads.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018

11. G_Manav_Bansal Froyo Dec 4, 2018

G_Manav_Bansal, Dec 4, 2018 :
    @Trista W. For me OnePlus is a "Flagship Killer". For a price its a perfect value for our money. But i feel now when OnePlus launched 6T in India, it was a bit overpriced i.e. it was not satisfying tagline of a flagship killer. As in US, OnePlus 6 and 6T had same price so why not in India. Secondly since its 5 Years from now, OnePlus now needs to take small steps towards certifications also like IP Rating to phones. In India it matters to Tech Community. Wireless Charging could be included, Dash Charge Version 2 Must come now make output double (i.e. 40W like Oppo Super Vook Charging). Please bring back 3.5mm Jack as i think there was space for it in 6T. Many are not satisfied for the absence of Jack in India. Community is biggest strength of this company and please ONEPLUS its a request please make this community run like this only. That was my suggession and opinion for Oneplus and always remember "NEVER SETTLE:):)"

12. Moin2200 Jelly Bean Dec 4, 2018

Moin2200, Dec 4, 2018 :
    Oh how time flies.

Feels like yesterday when people were selling oneplus invites on eBay for a lot of money.

13. T1543919724653 Cupcake Dec 4, 2018

14. YASHPLUSONE. Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 4, 2018

oh my god! the intention of the thread is being misunderstood!
    this is a moment of joy let's not spoil it for everyone.
    share what you remember and will cherish.
    good day!
    Yash [e]1f60a[/e]

15. YASHPLUSONE. Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 4, 2018

don't worry about it, I guess it can take a lot.
    idk how long was mine but it was surely BIG! [e]1f602[/e]

16. eye842 KitKat Dec 4, 2018

eye842, Dec 4, 2018 :
    :eek:FIVE YEARS!!!!!:confused: Same age as many of the users, it seems.
    Congratulations, here's to many more!

Bouncer71 and YASHPLUSONE. like this.
  17. AhmedAhdach Eclair Dec 4, 2018

18. youbi Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Dec 4, 2018

youbi, Dec 4, 2018 :
    Thread cleaned, this isn't the place to talk about pie updates and such, we already have enough of that all over the forum. :confused::oops:

All further posts about it here will be deleted, lets try to keep all the discussions on their right place.

Thanks

19. YASHPLUSONE. Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 4, 2018

Was working on it hard, unfortunately can't finish it before the deadline! :(

20. theshinybeast Lollipop Dec 4, 2018

theshinybeast, Dec 4, 2018 :
    Count my digits

piccionel, ChrisTerp and Tobikage like this.