Five Years of Never Settle: The inside story of OnePlus

1. Jullian Loic
    Cupcake Dec 17, 2018

Dresa91 likes this.
  2. keithnyc
    Lollipop Moderator Dec 17, 2018

keithnyc , Dec 17, 2018 :
    What a great story. Happy Anniversary OP!!!!

There are so many, but I think my favorite OnePlus moment was meeting the OP team and software design engineers at the SF Open Ears forum. Learned so much about the engineering process and made lots of great friends (and got a sneak peek at the OP6)!

the_o2, script, Gaston NP and 4 others like this.
  3. Kytharsis
    Marshmallow Dec 17, 2018

Kytharsis , Dec 17, 2018 :
    Happy 5th anniversary guys! Here's to 5 more awesome years to come.

I may be relatively new around here but I have known about OP since the beginning starting with the OPPO N1 and the OnePlus One, though I couldn't really afford either till pretty much early last year when I got my first OP device in the form of the 5T.

My humble beginnings with Android begin with the HTC Desire HD back in like... late 2000s. It wasn't until I had rooted and flashed my first custom ROM (CyanogenMod) on my Sammy S3 that I learned that a phone was being made with CyanogenMod pre-installed. I thought "Man! That's an awesome phone! Too bad I can't afford it or I'd definitely pick up one of those." Hell, I didn't even know it was an invite-only system at the time!

My last phone before getting my 5T was an S7 I bought from eBay. Lasted me a good few months till I realized it wasn't gonna get any updates past KitKat and needed a better phone. This is when I rediscovered you guys and learned about your newest device at the time. Managed to save enough money after my tax return to purchase it and I've never been happier. Thanks for being awesome to me this past year and 3/4. The community is the best!

(I've since given the 5T to my friend and am now rocking a red 6.) :D

4. viking_vp3
    Gingerbread Dec 17, 2018

Kytharsis, SoniaB, Dresa91 and 2 others like this.
  5. Plenkske
    Dutch POC Assistant Head Moderator Dec 17, 2018

Plenkske , Dec 17, 2018 :
    How did you get back to the forum though ? :confused:

6. SoniaB
    Nougat Senior Moderator Dec 17, 2018

SoniaB , Dec 17, 2018 :
    Lol. You know what I meant. But I will edit it!!

7. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Dec 17, 2018

Cheetosdust , Dec 17, 2018 :
    Technically, when you are using a rearview mirror you're looking back while looking forward. :rolleyes::D

woSch, TibiTibi, Kytharsis and 3 others like this.
  8. Plenkske
    Dutch POC Assistant Head Moderator Dec 17, 2018

Plenkske , Dec 17, 2018 :
    Nahh, the rearview mirror lets you believe you are looking back :p

9. Sujknair
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 17, 2018

Sujknair , Dec 17, 2018 :
    Happy 5th Birthday Oneplus. Here's to many more.

It's really fun and heartwarming to an extent, to read about other people's personal stories, especially when they're thus good.

And to @DTONE , Daaamn. Thank God Pete's so chill. I can relate. [e]1f602[/e]

My Oneplus story starts with my OP3, of course. My first time buying something on impulse, and boy i was not disappointed. Im really picky with my phones, and coming from a dying Nexus 5, the OP3 was a worthy upgrade in every way imaginable. That metal body alone made for days of showing off, until i dropped it of course. That minute dent on the body gave me a heart attack, and a Karbon case was ordered immediately. Those two combined made for a truly indestructible device. Ive lost count of the times ive dropped it, and it looks pristine as ever, both case and phone.

Alas, at 2.5 years, the phone is beginning to show its age, and im kinda getting bored with it to be honest. I'm gonna try my best to keep it chugging along till i buy my next. Then comes the truly fun part (for me at least), tearing the OP3 down, appreciating the internal beauty, replacing the battery (possibly) and then putting it back together. Then comes the rom flashfest. Fun times ahead! :)

10. the_o2
    Marshmallow Dec 17, 2018

the_o2 , Dec 17, 2018 :
    My OnePlus story starts with the OnePlus One, though I can't able to buy that beast :oops::oops:
    One of the my friend had it and I can't forget when I touch the sandstone back that was amazing, the phone was fast and fluid, and the design was unique, damn.

I am huge fan of the stock Android, my last two phone was from Motorola both are gifted by my brother :), but I always miss few things like the dark theme which was gone with Android lolipop :smirk: and some others like parallel apps etc.

So, there is 4G revolution going on my Country and I was looking for a phone who have maximum LTE speed and cost less of course;), and there is only one thing in my mind OnePlus.

So I started saving money to buy it, luckily there was an exchange offer going on Amazon, and I purchased OnePlus 5 at great price.
    I can't explain the excitement when I unboxed it, I remember my brother told me why you so excited it's just a phone, I looked into his eyes and said it's not just a phone It's OnePlus it's My Phone :):)

Though I keep eyes on this community from very long, I remember there is problem happened with Android 7.1 I guess, in roaming network Google Play store can't able update or download the apps and games, I posted on Moto forum got the lame reply, I seen same on this community forum here users keep giving the solution and verifying that it's Google's issues not device and then if anything unusual happen I keep eyes on this forum.

I was so lazy to join this forum :oops:, I joined this community in feb 2018 and got addicted to it, login daily enjoying the thread. Here I find so many friends, a group WoHo which is Incredible, excellent mods and staff members, lots of helping users, this is like second home to me :)
    Always love to help other person with Android related issues and here I find so many people like me.
    Thanks for the Delhi AMA where I got the chance to meet some of these peoples in real life :)
    Keep doing the great work,
    Never settle!!!!!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018

Mr_Cyrox, Dresa91, Sujknair and 2 others like this.
  11. sechinov

Dresa91 likes this.
  12. swaraj_c.r.
    Gingerbread Dec 17, 2018

13. swaraj_c.r.
    Gingerbread Dec 17, 2018

swaraj_c.r. , Dec 17, 2018 :
    I suggest that you should give update more faster and that should be a stable one. let me know when you're releasing pie for op5t

14. kuverti
    Gingerbread Dec 17, 2018

kuverti , Dec 17, 2018 :
    At the moment OnePlus Wireless headphones around my neck. The Travel Backpack by my side. And OnePlus notebook on the table. But I can't remember how it all started.... when was the first time I heard about OnePlus.
    I believe it was even before the release of the first phone. Got excited and made an account for the forum.
    Somehow for some reason I kept getting those Invite codes after the release of OP2 and OPX. Because my previous phone still worked I gave a lot of them away to my friends but later decided it was time to upgrade as well. Punched some numbers on the site. A week or so later. The "New" OP2 showed up .. and it was awesome. First time to have a high end flagship device running all the latest apps smoothly.
    Remained part of the community, took part in couple of Let's talk threads... and in 2017 got invited to the first Open Ears Forum in London. It was finally time to meet the faces behind the logo and all of them seemed like really cool people. We made some progress with Customer Service. Exchanged some ideas and in the end had an overall great day.
    And here we are today. 2018. Still rocking OP2 and just returned from OnePlus x McLaren launch event (to see what went down - link).
    All in all. Congrats and thank you for everything. Excited to see what's to come in the next 5 years.
    Cheers

15. luigimario
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Dec 17, 2018

luigimario , Dec 17, 2018 :
    Hey Cheetos, since you didn't mention it, I hope you added this pic to your collection :) You can assemble a zoo of Carl-Animal pictures eventually ;)
    [​IMG]

16. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Dec 17, 2018

Cheetosdust , Dec 17, 2018 :
    Many thanks, Luigi. I'm sure that hat will be remembered soon ;)

Something about that sentence doesn't sound right :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

17. luigimario
    The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Dec 17, 2018

luigimario , Dec 17, 2018 :
    Hahaha, I think people have gone to jail for less than that! :tearsofjoy:

buntycubal, Drewbikscube and Dresa91 like this.
  18. Neylan
    Eclair Dec 17, 2018

Neylan , Dec 17, 2018 :
    Congratulations OnePlus!!!!

You guys have an amazing story. I'm sure you guys will do even better in the coming years than what you guys have already accomplished in last five years! Advertising is the key for letting more people know about OnePlus... Especially in places like the US where not a lot of people know about OnePlus.
    Again, congrats...

Never Settle

Saliou, buntycubal and Dresa91 like this.
  19. abhibnl

abhibnl , Dec 17, 2018 :
    I was a fan of the hardware and software combo and have recommended, gifted, and helped buying OP phones til OP6. After i saw the direction OP6T was headed to and the recent releases and decisions by OP, the company has gone from different to just "one of the 10 other phone companies" out there. It's not the OnePlus that it once was, certainly not listening to community opinions. They are now mainstream and are taking decisions with the same mindset. Poco has replaced them from the "flagship killer" slogan already. It's just a race to become another apple copy OEM and i am not surprised. I hope they will come to their senses and again be what they were originally, quality hardware and software in budget. People don't give 2 shit about glass sandwich hyper whatevertf back. Instead put meaningful upgrades and keep things that don't need removing. There was no need to introduce notches or gimmickly half-baked in-screen fp or removing headphone jack. Indian market made you what you are nowadays and you guys fuked the community here the most. Hope you are happy with your decisions!

Mr_Cyrox, Dresa91 and keybladehero like this.
  20. JelleZon
    Lollipop Dec 17, 2018

Mr_Cyrox likes this.