Fix the horrible GPS

1. hornysapien Froyo Sep 19, 2016

hornysapien, Sep 19, 2016 :
    The op3 has horrible GPS performance since day one.

My GPS kept losing signal for a month, then it worked perfect for a month and then it went back to being cappy.

I DO NOT USE LTE.

Please fix the GPS, some people say it's oxygen os, some say it's 6.0, some say it's hardware.

So much people are complaining.

2. Auristic KitKat Sep 19, 2016

Auristic, Sep 19, 2016 :
    I'm not and I can't understand why YOU are... I use GPS everyday without any problem...

3. Tokolozi Marshmallow Sep 19, 2016

Tokolozi, Sep 19, 2016 :
    A lot of gps related issues where due to DOZE, don't optimise the apps that you want using GPS and it should be better.

4. lostLambda Lollipop Sep 19, 2016

5. hornysapien Froyo Sep 19, 2016

Clearly you don't represent the entire consumer base and I don't either.But a lot of users have this issue. It's pretty common. Ever check reddit? There are more posts.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016

6. hornysapien Froyo Sep 19, 2016

I disabled doze in developer settings but it still gives trouble.

7. hornysapien Froyo Sep 19, 2016

braud and G_Godfrey_H._vCHr like this.
  8. LALITH98 Eclair Sep 19, 2016

LALITH98, Sep 19, 2016 :
    Yes I too face GPS issues it takes quite a few minutes to find me and the accuracy is not that good

hornysapien likes this.
  9. Psyphon Froyo Sep 19, 2016

Psyphon, Sep 19, 2016 :
    I wonder if this article has the solution you're looking for:

How to fix GPS on OnePlus 3 [Complete Guide]

Let me know if it works. I just ordered my OnePlus 3 on Friday... can't wait to get it. I don't expect that software glitches can't or won't be fixed in due course. Without exception, every smartphone I've ever owned has some sort of software glitch; and there's always a way to resolve it.

10. laserjet Jelly Bean Sep 19, 2016

Andrizzy R and mrambriz like this.
  11. hornysapien Froyo Sep 19, 2016

Thanks for the link, but I saw it already and it didn't work.

12. hornysapien Froyo Sep 19, 2016

What's strange is that the GPS works good on EDGE. It's just that edge takes so long to load routes etc.

13. laomms Cupcake Sep 19, 2016

14. Psyphon Froyo Sep 19, 2016

Psyphon, Sep 19, 2016 :
    Sorry to hear that, mate. Been doing some research on this; and it appears that it doesn't affect all units. Moreover, it seems to be a software issue, rather than hardware. I suspect that OnePlus will want to find a permanent fix for this, because it will likely affect future models. Further research confirms that other devices suffer from GPS issues:
    • Samsung Galaxy S series (3 - 7)
    • Samsung Note 3, 4 & 5
    • iPhone 5 & 6 series
    • HTC One M8 & 9
    • Nexus 5, 6 & 6P
    • LG G2, G3 & G5
    • Sony Xperia series
    There are plenty more, but no need to list them here. Manufacturers must be working to resolve this issue, because the first one that does will not only have bragging rights... they'll be able to add it to their launch and marketing campaign.

I just hope that my device doesn't suffer from it.

I've been using CoPilot on my HTC Sensation Z710e (yes, it's 6 yrs old. LOL); and I found that it had intermittent GPS issues; however, when I had CoPilot installed on my HTC HD2, there were no problems at all. CoPilot doesn't require the use of data, so as long as you have a decent line of sight GPS signal, you get great response. I wonder if those who experience it most are using a GPS app that requires data.

Question:
    Which GPS app are you using? Or do you use Google Maps with the GPS functionality?

15. KejPik Gingerbread Sep 19, 2016

KejPik, Sep 19, 2016 :
    I am facing GPS issues as well :-( I tried the hints from link above and none of them is fixing GPS permanently. So far my observations are:
    1) OOS 3.1.2: quite good accuracy, no problems with LTE but random soft reboots when using Google Maps or Waze for navigation
    2) OOS 3.2.2: worse accuracy, no reboots but GPS does not work when signal goes from Edge to LTE. It looses the lock and does not recover. The only fix is to disable LTE, close apps using position, go to airplane mode and back, disable GPS and then enable GPS again. Disabling LTE is not enough to recover. I have tested it with GPS Test (in attachment), Locus Maps, Waze, Google Maps. All of them are loosing GPS lock.
    3) It looks like that cleaning cache helps with GPS for some time but I do not want to do it every day :-(

Attached Files:

piamuc likes this.
  16. hornysapien Froyo Sep 19, 2016

I use waze, Google maps and Pokémon go. All three show sings of inaccuracy. My GPS won't even lock on unless I turn on edge.

clarro01 likes this.
  17. hornysapien Froyo Sep 19, 2016

If I downgrade to 3.1.2 via Adb, would I lose any data?

18. KejPik Gingerbread Sep 19, 2016

19. Psyphon Froyo Sep 19, 2016

Psyphon, Sep 19, 2016 :
    Interesting! If I'm correct, all three of those require Data. I wonder if it has something to do with the Data connectivity.
    Short of switching to something that doesn't require Data connectivity, I suspect that troubleshooting it as a Data connectivity problem may bring you closer to the solution.

If I come across anything, I'll be certain to share it.

20. jerrymilton Jelly Bean Sep 19, 2016

jerrymilton, Sep 19, 2016 :
    Edge ? who knew it still existed. did you do a clean install for the latest 3.2.6 or go the upgrade route. I have no issues at all, but I wipe my phone frequently as I change ROMs.