Flash both A/B slots on stock recovery

1. AshenPaladin
    Froyo Mar 14, 2019

AshenPaladin , Mar 14, 2019 :
    Sorry if the question sounds weird, it's probably because I don't fully understand this. I know that the OnePlus 6 has two software slots, an A slot and a B slot, and I also have a vague idea about what those slots are doing during an update.

Looking around, I found a thread that recommends flashing software on both slots, saying that it could fix some issues. I'm currently on Oreo, and I'm planning to get back to 9.0.4., but I remember that during 9.0.2. I think, when I was upgrading from Oreo again, I locally installed the same update file twice. I installed it once, everything went well, I went back to the local upgrade menu after the restart, and installed it again. And the phone seemed to be faster for some reason, that's what I'm trying to achieve again.

The thread that I found mentioned how to flash the software on both slots while on TWRP, would locally installing it twice achieve the same effect? Or is there something else that I can do?

Thank you very much in advance

2. anupritaisno1
    KitKat Mar 14, 2019

anupritaisno1 , Mar 14, 2019 :
    A/B devices when upgraded while booted into perform AOT compilation which is not possible when you install the ROM through the recovery

This is what caused the increase in performance

3. AshenPaladin
    Froyo Mar 14, 2019

This is an interesting coincidence, I saw an argument that you had over how useful deleting your cache from the recovery was just this morning, and you convinced me to give up my obsessive habit of wiping the cache pretty often.

But anyway, I'm fairly certain that the issue for which I went back to Oreo in the first place is from OnePlus' side, so I'll just get back to the latest stable and wait. And I might just do that, thanks for explaining it.

4. anupritaisno1
    KitKat Mar 14, 2019

anupritaisno1 , Mar 14, 2019 :
    There are external links in that article that lead to official documentation by Google on how A/B devices handle this. Check those if you're curious

Deactivated User likes this.
  5. AshenPaladin
    Froyo Mar 14, 2019

Well, you certainly managed to convince me already, but I do want to learn more about this, so I will probably check those links.
    Thanks again

Deactivated User likes this.