"Flash disabled due to low battery"

1. G_René_Simonsen_zStX Donut Nov 2, 2016

G_René_Simonsen_zStX, Nov 2, 2016 :
    Can anyone explain to me why this "feature" even exists? If I have <15% battery left on my phone and I want to take a picture, how come it has to be a shitty picture? It should be up to me if I want to use some of my last battery to take a decent picture or not.

Most of the time I'm at home, so running out of battery is not really an issue. I just wait with charging until I'm <5%. So if I'm low and want to take a picture, I have to first charge my phone to >15%, and then take the picture instead of just taking the damn picture and then charge afterwards when I feel like it?

This "feature" makes no sense in my opinion. Even if I'm out and about and I'm low on battery, I can surely make the decision myself to disable flash if I think I need the extra battery time vs picture quality.

Can anyone explain why this has been pre-determined for users that we can't use flash on the last 15%? And could we possibly have an option to disable this in the future?

2. laserjet Jelly Bean Nov 2, 2016

laserjet, Nov 2, 2016 :
    Try changing camera app with one on Playstore.

This 'feature' of flash off has been in Android for years.

Also, it's not like that charging to higher than 15% would take very long with Dash Charge :p

Abhi Dahiya and dsmonteiro like this.
  3. vikeor Gingerbread Nov 2, 2016

vikeor, Nov 2, 2016 :
    I think this could be something in Android itself. But that's true. It is pretty annoying.

4. Wahoux Lollipop Nov 2, 2016

Wahoux, Nov 2, 2016 :
    But, the most annoying thing in that story is that, when i have 0% battery left, my phone turn off !? Wtf?! :D

5. JarekWu Cupcake Nov 2, 2016

JarekWu, Nov 2, 2016 :
    This is a bad "feature".Sometime I want to use some of my last battery to take a decent picture rather than keep the phone on.

6. G_René_Simonsen_zStX Donut Nov 2, 2016

Yeah but I'd pretty much like to use the stock app that has optimizations for the hardware etc..
    And the fact it's an Android "feature" is not a good reason not to improve upon it in OxygenOS :p

And yeah, I know dash charge will get me above 15% pretty quickly, but more often than not, pictures are taken "in the moment", and this "feature" kind of ruins those kinds of shots.

Hey guys, keep doing that funny thing for 10 minutes, I just need to charge my phone quickly so I can get a flash on this shot.
    Or..

Hey cat. Stay still. Don't move! I just gotta get this cute/silly/whatever shot, but my phone has only 15% battery so it's useless for taking pictures right now.

7. G_René_Simonsen_zStX Donut Nov 2, 2016

Also a slightly unrelated question: If one were to suggest to OnePlus to get this changed in the future. Where would one go to suggest such a feature? Is this even the right place?

8. Chenna Madhav Niketh Froyo Oct 5, 2017

9. G_daniel_hampen_Dvdo Cupcake Jun 25, 2019

G_daniel_hampen_Dvdo, Jun 25, 2019 :
    This is so true.. That's why I bought a phone from OnePlus and not Samsung. There shouldn't be any reason why this is still a problem? This person made this comment 2 years ago and it's still not fixed.. wtf oneplus? I am not a child I do not I do not need my phone to make decisions for me. There is not 1 person in this world that has ever said "Thank you camera for disabling the flash on my phone right before I decided to take this picture. I appreciate you helping me save my battery" all i am saying this is a stupid inconvenience that needs to be fixed. Let me control my device.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019

10. ghostofcain Marshmallow Jun 25, 2019

ghostofcain, Jun 25, 2019 :
    The OP3(T) is EOL the chance of this being changed now is minimal, if you really value being free to do what you want with your device, have you considered flashing a custom ROM, free from such constraints?