Flash Drives through USB OTG

1. morrislee
    Gingerbread Jul 28, 2014

morrislee , Jul 28, 2014 :
    Hello guys,

I am a happy camper for OnePlus One but one problem I am not sure how to fix.

I have a 64GB Lexar USB 3.0 flash drive S33, doesnt seem to work with either my Sony Xperia Z2 or now my OnePlus One.

Xperia Z2 reports damaged flash drive and tries to format it - no go, tried formatting it to exFAT, FAT32, and NTFS. none got picked up by Z2

OnePlus One says it is mounting it and just stops doing it, tried all 3 formats too.

USB memory card readers works so far, but I dont have anything bigger than 32 to test with, is it the capacity or this specific flash drive model doesnt work with Android OTG overall??

Please assist!!

Regards,
    morrislee

2. xTremePower
    Gingerbread Jul 28, 2014

xTremePower , Jul 28, 2014 :
    in many cases, the phone don't support the USB key model,
    many phones have problem with USB 3.0 keys,
    and many phones does not support some USB OTG adapters

PS : do you use external powered USB OTG cable ? or powered with the OPO ?

morrislee likes this.
  3. morrislee
    Gingerbread Jul 28, 2014

Powered by OPO/Z2, and it is a nice OTG cable. Works with my USB mouse and my USB card readers (which shows up as a standard mass storage device)

4. xTremePower
    Gingerbread Jul 28, 2014

xTremePower , Jul 28, 2014 :
    I confirm : the OPO support USB 2.0, it can cause compatibility problem with 3.0

and one last thing : this is a phone :p you have USB OTG, but he can't run devices who eat to many power, I searched on the net, i can't find the OPO maximum output sorry

5. morrislee
    Gingerbread Jul 28, 2014

Just tried adding a Y cable and add additional power from my PC. Same thing.

I just see "Preparing Storage" message in the notification and then nothing after that. :(

6. morrislee
    Gingerbread Jul 28, 2014

Finally, shuffling through bunch of my flash drives, a really old 1GB Lexar flash drive worked flawlessly! I really wished the 64GB worked.

7. morrislee
    Gingerbread Jul 28, 2014

Also, I can confirm reading and writing to NTFS and exFAT is flawless too if the drive is recognized.

Good luck guys!

8. morrislee
    Gingerbread Jul 29, 2014

morrislee , Jul 29, 2014 :
    So I went and bought this

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX50063

Works perfectly fine and also works with my USB OTG cable too. I think it has to do with if the flash drive is more generic than the other for the driver it will pick up.

This drive is super fast BTW, I loaded a movie on topped speed at 100MB/s, took less than a minute to transfer some HD movies!