[FLASHABLE ZIP] Enable integrated superuser

1. jak
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 24, 2014

jak , Aug 24, 2014 :
    Well, you can still run su from within an adb shell with the light version.

I think light even works with the debuggable boot images, but I have not tested it yet. If that's the case, it might make sense to drop it, as flashing light + the debuggable image would provide all features.

2. BeGayDoCrime
    Cupcake Aug 24, 2014

BeGayDoCrime , Aug 24, 2014 :
    Really? That's fantastic. Again, thank you for doing this!

3. pa5t1s
    User of the Year 2014 Aug 25, 2014

pa5t1s , Aug 25, 2014 :
    This sounds really interesting :) Reading your posts over and over to fully understand them...
    [Q] If the phone is *already* rooted (bootloader still locked, version 25R, SuperSU 2.0.2), what happens to the current 'root' status? old settings are 'copied' somehow?

4. jak
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 25, 2014

jak , Aug 25, 2014 :
    No, it can't keep settings, especially not from SuperSU, because it's a different (and closed-source) implementation. It can also not (yet [1]) cleanly migrate away from SuperSU, you'd need to uninstall that first.

It will be default settings: Ask for root permissions when they are requested first.

[1] possibly might add that, but I heard SuperSU has a uninstall, so it does not seem needed.

5. pa5t1s
    User of the Year 2014 Aug 25, 2014

6. tagline15
    Gingerbread Aug 29, 2014

tagline15 , Aug 29, 2014 :
    I updated yesterday from 25R to 30O and then to 33R. Root survived both updates. :D
    I'm very happy with your solution. Thanks again. :)

7. xReplicat
    Cupcake Aug 30, 2014

xReplicat , Aug 30, 2014 :
    Q: What exactly is ADB root?
    you're method of surviving OTA updates intrigues me. Also, I would follow most other root guides but flash this instead of the Superuser zip they provide?

8. tagline15
    Gingerbread Aug 30, 2014

tagline15 , Aug 30, 2014 :
    ADB means Android Debug Bridge and is used to gain root on a phone that is connected to a computer.

Yes, you flash this zip instead of other Superuser.zips.

9. oscarvanl
    Jelly Bean Aug 30, 2014

oscarvanl , Aug 30, 2014 :
    Just to confirm, I'm already rooted with SuperSU.

So I uninstall the SuperSU app, flash this Zip through TWRP (I'm going to use the lite version) and all is good? I understand I'll lose the granted permission to apps but that doesn't matter.

10. tagline15
    Gingerbread Aug 30, 2014

tagline15 , Aug 30, 2014 :
    Yes, see reply by @jak a few post up: click

11. jak
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 17, 2014

jak , Sep 17, 2014 :
    Oh, I forgot to mention an update: I updated the light zip on Saturday to not start the su daemon if /init.superuser.rc exists (as in the official debuggable image or Franco's kernel).

Battery life is insane with Franco's r18 BTW.

PS: I don't think there's any real need to upgrade to this, even with a debuggable kernel, things should work just fine.

12. deivnino
    Donut Sep 19, 2014

deivnino , Sep 19, 2014 :
    Hi!

Can you make please something like a

cm-unofficial-11-signed-superuser-remover-light.zip

Signed that deletes the files

/system/xbin/su
    /system/etc/init.d/01su
    /data/local/userinit.d/00su-ota-survival

Only if someone wants to go back.

Another question:

Can i flash it using stock recovery? I dont want to wipe my phone..

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014

13. Borzlite
    Froyo Oct 2, 2014

Borzlite , Oct 2, 2014 :
    Hey guys,

I'm new with the whole rooting process and skimmed around here on the forums and xda for a bit trying to find a plain and simple guide to flashing a .zip file on my opo. Everything i found seems a bit confusing and i would rather not risk bricking my phone because i was unsure about a certain step. Would someone who used the light version on the 33R update be able to list out the steps which worked for you (or if possible link to the forum which could show me this). In addition, if i am using the light version it shouldnt/i shouldnt have to wipe my phone correct?

14. S0und
    Donut Oct 9, 2014

S0und , Oct 9, 2014 :
    I just updated 38R OTA and tried to use the light version with stock recovery, i got this error:

• E:footer is wrong
    • E:signature verification failed
    • Installation aborted.

15. jak
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 9, 2014

jak , Oct 9, 2014 :
    Right, I replied to the bug report already, but will leave it here as well:

The stock recovery only works with zips signed by Cyanogen. You need to boot a custom recovery, either using fastboot boot (which I prefer) or by flashing it to the device; and then install from that recovery.

16. tekkfreak
    Eclair Oct 10, 2014

tekkfreak , Oct 10, 2014 :
    Question. If Cyanogen are kinda keen (warmish) on allowing root, by including Koushs "superuser" hidden stuff .. why oh why do they not keep a formal "superuser.zip" signed alongside their debuggable kernel img's?

This would mean that (anyone who is keen on root themselves) but wants to stay STOCK has a very simple option to root without the risk and hassle of TWRP, custom recoveries, different SuperSU / Superuser versions, ADB fastbooting etc. by just downloading the proper signed ZIP in their browser, checking the options to reboot to stock "Cyanogen Recovery" then performing the update without the other hassles.

So Jak, thanks for your efforts, maybe someone in Cyanogen will wake up and follow your lead!!

PLEASE PLEASE Cyanogen, sort out a proper SIGNED "superuser.zip" that will work for all the people who just want a simple way into root!!!!!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014

17. AlexanderTD
    Gingerbread Oct 11, 2014

AlexanderTD , Oct 11, 2014 :
    +1

18. breeze
    Gingerbread Oct 12, 2014

breeze , Oct 12, 2014 :
    I've been asking for this for a long time.
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/poll-petition-for-a-stock-recovery-flashable-root.91425/

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014

PreRegistracie123 and tekkfreak like this.
  19. jak
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 14, 2014

jak , Oct 14, 2014 :
    There's a security issue with a signed zip. Everybody could just flash that and then use the root. Some malicious person could flash su on your device and then abuse a security issue in another app (or create a backdoor in an app he developed).

Hermodr likes this.
  20. oscarvanl
    Jelly Bean Oct 14, 2014