Flashed to CM12 Nightly

1. iowamatt
    Eclair Apr 10, 2015

iowamatt , Apr 10, 2015 :
    TL;DR version: just flash CM12...it's awesome.

Original, lovingly crafted version:

I was getting super tired of waiting for CM12S so I decided I would start getting my feet wet with flashing a new ROM. So right before bed last night I connected my phone to my MacBook Pro and just wanted to do the first step of unlocking the bootloader. I issued the "./fastboot oem unlock" command and bam! my phone restarted and as it loaded up CM11S it took me back to the setup screen. I logged in and started setting up CM11S thinking my icons and customizations would return but no--it looked like a fresh install. WTF I though to myself..."this is going to be a long night". So the mother of invention is necessity so I quickly acclimated myself with the process, flashed TWRP, and decided "what the heck let's try CM12 nightly". I transferred the 4-9-15 nightly along with the most recent GAPPS to my phone and got it installed--OK so it wasn't that smooth, it took a few restarts and playing around with the right steps, and remembering to uncheck the CM recovery option, etc. But now I'm officially rocking CM12 nightly from last night 4-9-15 and it's AWESOME! No issues detected so far. It's way better than CM11S. Lollipop is gorgeous, the new notification system is so much better. Just everything is better and amazing, I love it!

Seriously people...you have the OnePlus One, which was designed for tinkering. Stop being slave to an "official" release. This is my daily driver so I do understand the fear of ruining things, but it's worth the effort of learning the process (it's actually really fun!) and it's so rewarding. I'm serious, CM12 is incredible. For what I use my phone for (tons of apps, I think it auto downloaded 113 from the Play Store), lots of phone calls (actually on a conference call now via my bluetooth Voyager Legend), text messaging (texted several people today), etc. I so happy to made the plunge. Don't forget to BACKUP before doing anything! I thought I had lost all my photos but thankfully I had remembered to backup my photos automatically to Picasa/Google photos and so they were waiting for me, thankfully!

Seriously love it...downloads are way faster, just everything is better than CM11. Super reliable so far. Good stuff! Oh and the phone dialer is way better than it was on CM11S!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015

qasimhaji, zorolfo, madmike95 and 4 others like this.
  2. shcxatter2
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 10, 2015

shcxatter2 , Apr 10, 2015 :
    So tell, me more how awesome flashing the nightlies was and why we should care about it :D

sarang Bakshi likes this.
  3. DaxNagtegaal
    Marshmallow Apr 10, 2015

DaxNagtegaal , Apr 10, 2015 :
    fix your wall of text, do some formatting, use bold to make important things stand out.. I can't even read this without focusing my eyes very hard

read it: I agree

4. EpicSwirly
    Apr 10, 2015

5. iowamatt
    Eclair Apr 10, 2015

6. Shrapnelist
    Jelly Bean Apr 10, 2015

Shrapnelist , Apr 10, 2015 :
    I didn't read either lol

DaxNagtegaal and sarang Bakshi like this.
  7. JElder
    Honeycomb Apr 10, 2015

JElder , Apr 10, 2015 :
    The nightlies were good. I flashed to "exodus android" a few days ago. Much faster and better battery life. More customizable as well.

Edit: By the way this only took 20 seconds to read and formatting wouldn't have helped anything expect make it more attractive looking.

DaxNagtegaal likes this.
  8. iowamatt
    Eclair Apr 10, 2015

9. EpicSwirly
    Apr 10, 2015

EpicSwirly , Apr 10, 2015 :
    Lol. Thanks, I knew that already. That's what I'm using.:p

iowamatt likes this.
  10. iowamatt
    Eclair Apr 10, 2015

Very cool...I'll look into it. Have you experienced any issues with Exodus?

11. Deactivated User
    Apr 10, 2015

iowamatt likes this.
  12. DaxNagtegaal
    Marshmallow Apr 10, 2015

^this - if CM12 nightlies blow you away you have to try Exodus, that'll blow you away even further. It's super fast and has great battery life. No real bugs.
    lol

JElder and iowamatt like this.
  13. JElder
    Honeycomb Apr 10, 2015

JElder , Apr 10, 2015 :
    No bugs to speak of yet. It also updates 5 or 6 times a week ota and I'm running one from last week so its only gotten better since then. Some of the settings are moved to slightly different places but it only took a minute to find them.

iowamatt likes this.
  14. Knight_1183
    Honeycomb Apr 10, 2015

Knight_1183 , Apr 10, 2015 :
    It has taken CENTURIES to get the "Official" Lollipop release. But honestly I don't care. I have been using the nightlies for a very long time. I think I will stick to the nightlies even after the release of Cyanogen OS 12 (CM12S name was ditched).

iowamatt likes this.
  15. MatteoCarrara
    Gingerbread Apr 10, 2015

16. danj864
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 10, 2015

danj864 , Apr 10, 2015 :
    CM12 Nightlies are good enough for me. Are they bug-free? Of course not. But they work for me, in the ways in which I use the phone.

My complaints are more with Lollipop itself (particularly lock screen notifications), but we'll get that no matter what 5.x ROM we use.

That said, Exodus does sound intriguing...

17. iowamatt
    Eclair Apr 10, 2015

Sounds just like what I'm looking for. Sold!

JElder likes this.
  18. DaxNagtegaal
    Marshmallow Apr 10, 2015

you've never hard bricked your phone you mean soft brick

19. iowamatt
    Eclair Apr 10, 2015

I'm with you--I want the latest and great plus it seems like the nightlies are only getting more and more reliable. I was reading through the change log and it seems really promising the stuff they are tweaking and perfecting.

20. iowamatt
    Eclair Apr 10, 2015

I suppose it wouldn't be a brick if it was soft, right? More like a play foam brick.