Follow-up on the Touchscreen Issue and the "Fix"

1. vantt1 Jelly Bean Nov 25, 2014

vantt1, Nov 25, 2014 :
    This is a response to OnePlus' response :D

Backstory.

First off, here's the touch response of my One after the fix, and before I disassembled it again to replicate the problems. I wanted to keep disassembling and re-assembling this phone to a minimum, because I only had one and didn't want to wear it out.

It's pretty hard to record a video and gesture type at the same time

I mentioned that I would also like to investigate this problem further, so I (yet again) disassembled my OnePlus One in order to attempt to replicate the problems I had with the touchscreen before I "fixed" it. After all, I didn't want to jump to conclusions without any substantiation.

I only have two hands and no mountable camera or tripod, so I don't have a video of the disassembly. Sorry, guys.

I removed the insulating tape from the chassis, and re-assembled my phone to test the touchscreen. To my surprise, the touch response seemed largely the same as having the tape. If I'm lucky, it would do the thing, but it was really hard to capture on-camera and my iPhone was running out of space, so it wasn't worth recording. The symptoms were also slightly different.

I tested it for a few more minutes, and still couldn't reliably replicate the problems I was having. I thought it was going to make a liar out of me.

And then I remembered something.

I was only having the issues with the touch with my phone when it was still a factory assembled phone, as in, the screen was bonded using that weird glue. The first time I disassembled the phone and re-assembled it, I didn't separate the screen, so the glue was still there, and I was still having issues with the touch after I re-assembled it that time.

In order to replicate the problems I was having as accurately as possible, I'd have to use glue to stick the screen onto the chassis, but that would make it more difficult to fix it later on. So instead, I used a small plastic clamp to clamp down the corner that the digitizer flex was in, so the screen would fit more snugly in the chassis.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I was relieved that my phone was faulty again. Welcome back, touchy touchscreen!

I thought the wobbly orientation of the phone might have affected the touch as well, so I put a Nexus 4 underneath it to stabilize it.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014

2. vantt1 Jelly Bean Nov 25, 2014

vantt1, Nov 25, 2014 :
    Edit: fixed the broken video link

I got the lockscreen pattern incorrect the first time and correct a couple times, and then something magical happened. The problems I was having with the pattern makes its return! Before I fixed the screen, the lockscreen pattern would cut out for a split second partway through dragging it, and then continue, resulting in an error.

Ah, the nostalgia. Gesture typing was affected by the touch issue before; halfway through swiping a word, the touch would cut out and turn one word into two other words. In the video, "jump" turned into "Jim mood". The longer the word, the higher the chance it would do this.

(Sorry for the vertical videos)

I then removed the clamps to once again investigate different circumstances. I think I know why I couldn't replicate those issues before, because the screen was loosely fitted. Pressing on the screen probably affected the grounding, but I can't be sure.

The lockscreen pattern errors were my fault, and not the touchscreen's

Multitouch did cut out once, but it wasn't the issue I was having initially

I watched your hardware test video:

Protip: don't use an SMD hot air gun with a narrow nozzle as a hot air gun - I tried that and it melts plastic frames

And noticed that it looked surprisingly easy to separate the screen from the chassis (4:00 mark 1:30 mark (I swear you guys are trying to screw me over)), yours effortlessly popped off, but I had to pry and heat and pry and heat, all in all it took me about half an hour to loosen all the glue and separate the screen without damaging it.

[​IMG]

I only had the problem before removing the screen for the first time, so I regret not documenting them on video. Well, it wasn't that I didn't, it was because I couldn't. It just happens during everyday use, and there was no way I could document it. All I could do was complain on the forums about it.

I don't think it's possible to "replicate" the problem; you can only fix a faulty phone, and then after that, it's really hard to replicate it again. Even then, many other factors may also come into play, such as the temperature of the touchscreen (from being in the pocket), the digitizer's manufacturer (if multiple suppliers were used), minute physical variations in the chassis, hardware revision etc.

For reference, my OnePlus One was manufactured in July, and it was definitely before the recent hardware revision (there was a thread about it, I'll try to find it) which increased the capacitive button brightness, changed the feel of the Sandstone Black StyleSwap and stuff. I'm running rooted Paranoid Android 4.6 Beta 6 on the stock PA kernel, and have the slightest bit of yellow tint.

So to conclude, I "replicated" the following problems I was having before (on CM11S, of which no software update fully rectified):
    • Lockscreeen pattern cutting out
    • Multitouch test stuttering touches
    • Gesture typing cutting out
    I couldn't replicate these problems:
    • Scrolling (like in the Settings App, vertical app drawer or browsing in Chrome) would touch something along the way
    • Camera shutter button is hard to press in one go
    • Double tap to wake sometimes doesn't work
    OnePlus, please, please give us a deadline when a software patch will finally fix the touchscreen issues many other users are having, so they won't have to disassemble their phone like I did. I should add an "at your own risk" disclaimer in those threads.

And if the digitzer flex really is insulated properly and users are still having issues with their touchscreens, then it's almost definitely a hardware problem that can't simply be fixed with a bit of tape. If this is true, then it means there are actually multiple different types of ghost touches/grounding issues, in which case I would expect the manufacturer to replace the handset under the condition of manufacturer fault.

A software patch, toggling features like screen-off gestures and not using certain accessories is not an acceptable fix, even if it does subdue/eliminate the problem. I should have a choice of which software, which accessories and which features I want to use, because it never mattered in any of the previous phones I used.

Never settle.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014

3. HoHoHo Donut Nov 25, 2014

HoHoHo, Nov 25, 2014 :
    This might sound random, but my oneplus one can perform 10 points perfectly, it only has issues when i place it on a bed or pillow and then its starts messing up at 5 fingers and above (4 is fine), this happens with or without my case on o_O, so I was wondering if you had tried this scenario, thanks!

deepti.b14, MinkJ, Joyyy and 2 others like this.
  4. ronoldo KitKat Nov 25, 2014

deepthought42 and wedad like this.
  5. risky1301 KitKat Nov 25, 2014

6. llcooljerry Jelly Bean Nov 25, 2014

7. Iseek1 KitKat Nov 25, 2014

Iseek1, Nov 25, 2014 :
    Thanks for posting this and going through all that you have gone through on this issue, you have done an excellent job of investigating solving and reporting on this in great detail.

sprigmo1 likes this.
  8. aditya.bhatt Gingerbread Nov 25, 2014

itsabhionly and johnny.tran like this.
  9. Iseek1 KitKat Nov 25, 2014

Iseek1, Nov 25, 2014 :
    understandable

Joyyy, vantt1 and aditya.bhatt like this.
  10. aditya.bhatt Gingerbread Nov 25, 2014

11. Iseek1 KitKat Nov 25, 2014

Iseek1, Nov 25, 2014 :
    luckily, no, my OPO does not appear to be as bad as some who have reported this issue, so I guess the "glue" where @vantt1 put the tape and explained about in the previous thread on this, is working and insulating OK

12. aditya.bhatt Gingerbread Nov 25, 2014

aditya.bhatt, Nov 25, 2014 :
    You said its not as bad, so does yours have any other issues ?

13. Hiraeth Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 25, 2014

sprigmo1 likes this.
  14. Iseek1 KitKat Nov 25, 2014

Iseek1, Nov 25, 2014 :
    No, no issues.

15. Hiraeth Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 25, 2014

Ceasedd, wedad, vantt1 and 1 other person like this.
  16. aditya.bhatt Gingerbread Nov 25, 2014

aditya.bhatt, Nov 25, 2014 :
    Okay thanks :)

It is a guitar pick (plecturm) :D

sprigmo1 and vrbljani like this.
  17. Aaahh Lollipop Nov 25, 2014

Aaahh, Nov 25, 2014 :
    Different Roms make a difference too.
    When I was on cm11s, I had full support and amazingness, now on cm12 its terrible

Joyyy, vantt1 and Hiraeth like this.
  18. Iseek1 KitKat Nov 25, 2014

Iseek1, Nov 25, 2014 :
    U R welcome, happy to help.

aditya.bhatt likes this.
  19. carbine30 Lollipop Nov 25, 2014

carbine30, Nov 25, 2014 :
    I don't think OP will not go down and admit it, despite of all evidence provided here and the previous thread, they will stick to their original reply. i hope i am wrong and they admit it.

vantt1, oup, Joyyy and 2 others like this.
  20. bestlands KitKat Nov 25, 2014