Follow up to “Moving from Apple to OnePlus - A review from an Apple loyalist”

1. Darrenk
    Gingerbread Sep 24, 2014

Darrenk , Sep 24, 2014 :
    In my initial review, I spoke mostly about the differences between Apple and Oneplus, iPhone and the One (you’ll find that review here: https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/...neplus-a-review-from-an-apple-loyalist.84726/). In that thread, I was asked on several occasions to write a follow up – so here it is and I hope it helps anyone still looking to make a decision.

When the first review was written, I had used the Oneplus for 4 days and was still running version 25R of Cyanogenmod 11s and it was my first foray back to Android and away from Apple since the release of the Galaxy Nexus. This review will focus on the day to day usage of my OnePlus One and how it’s settled into my workflow now that I’ve used it for almost 2 months.

Hardware

When I first ordered the Oneplus One, one of my major concerns is whether this phone was going to be too big. I mention in my original review that I didn’t know how I’ve lived with a 4 inch display for this long. Well, after nearly 2 months, nothing has changed. 5.5 inches of screen real estate is now “normal” and I cannot bear the thought of anything smaller.

The build quality of the One still astounds me, it still remains a monolithic device without even a threat of a creak or rattle. The Sandstone backplate does show a little bit of wear but it’s certainly nothing out of the ordinary. Do I still prefer the build quality of an iPhone? Well, yes. There’s something about glass and aluminum that gives an in-hand feel that the One cannot recreate. The density of weight in an iPhone is reassuring and makes it feel premium and luxurious. I can’t say I don’t miss that but I think the difference is small enough to look elsewhere for deal stoppers.

Battery Life

Now this is where it gets a little complicated. In my initial post, I was almost gushing about the battery life of the Oneplus. It would EASILY get me through the day with about 50 percent left. Then it all changed. I upgraded the firmware and now, I found myself struggling to make 8pm – sometimes worse. I tried everything that was suggested – I changed the settings in the Google Play settings, I downloaded multiple apps to track battery usage and wake locks, I cycled the battery from full to empty… it was all to no avail, my battery life had taken a massive hit and no amount of diagnoses could point to the culprit. This then led me down the path of changing ROMs and Kernels – but I’ll touch further on that topic later. So what’s the final opinion? Well, I now run a different rom and a different kernel, I’m not getting the same battery as I did before BUT I end my day with about 30% left. I found myself obsessed with eeking out more battery life when suddenly, it dawned on me. My dream prior to owning an OPO was to have my iPhone last me the whole of a business day – why was I now fixated on getting more??!! So the One is certainly a phone with GREAT battery life and I’m still VERY happy with it.

Android vs iOS

I said in my previous review that I believe that apps on iOS is somehow smoother and more refined. Well, I stand by that statement. There’s still something about iOS apps that feels and looks better. Android’s strong point? Choice! It’s amazing how you can change things you never thought you wanted to change and this neatly leads me to different ROMS. In my –almost OCD – quest to gain battery life, I read many posts where people where exulting how much better their battery life were after “x” ROM and Kernel. I took a big breath and started flashing. Fast forward to today and I think I’ve gone through 4 different ROMs, countless upgrade versions and 2 different Kernels. In hindsight, I now have no idea how I’ve lived without the Peek and Hover features when I was using C11s . I implore all of you to try some different ROMS because there’s a whole new world out there.

Enterprise Functionality

One of my other major concerns is whether this phone could be a “work” phone. My business utilizes Exchange Server along with Citrix and if this phone wasn’t good at either, it would be a deal breaker. In short, there was nothing to worry about. The One handles VPN natively and whilst exchange can be handled natively too, I chose to use an app called “Nine” because I preferred their implementation of Activesync and UI. Citrix Receiver is just as good as iOS’s and the phone has more than enough processing power to perform all the tasks that I can throw at it.

Support

I touched on this in the first review and after 2 months, it seems not much has changed. Whether Oneplus is struggling to scale to the demand or are simply bad at customer service makes no difference to the customer – we deserve support in a timely and responsible manner. I’ve now read and been told of terrible response times to emails and RMA’s, dismissive attitudes towards the client and just general absence in the face of trouble. I’ve always maintained that I got into this with my eyes open – Oneplus is a startup in an extremely competitive vertical and I cannot expect Apple levels of service and warranty. I’m possibly in a far worse category in that I’ve actually had the phone forwarded to a non-launch country. I feel, however that Oneplus can and must do better. A startup has to be diligent in light of it’s lack of resources, they almost have to be hyper communicative to their customers to make up for the reduced man power. They should be extremely active in their own forums and ahead of a potential or new problem. I don’t think Oneplus are being purposefully reckless and that they are indeed trying but I certainly think there’s room for improvement.

Conclusion

If you are considering moving from Apple, should you consider a Oneplus One? In short, Yes – but there are caveats. Make sure you can live with the lack of warranty support, because at best, you will be without your phone for at least a few weeks if it breaks. There will be no repairing of screens from little stores at the mall because the parts simply don’t exist yet and you cannot simply walk into a shop and get some help. If you can live with this or, like me, have redundancies in place, then YES – do it! The hardware is great value for money, battery life is more than adequate and with the support of developers, the breadth of different ROM choices is outstanding. I hope you’ve found this useful and if you have any questions, I’m happy to help if I can.

2. olaivo
    Eclair Sep 24, 2014

olaivo , Sep 24, 2014 :
    I think the phone is great! :) Definatly better than the bending iphone 6 plus

Gk Tejus, Shane724, Raffi5555 and 3 others like this.
  3. tae254
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 24, 2014

tae254 , Sep 24, 2014 :
    Tl2r but glad your liking it. My battery is kind of not doing as good as before either

4. nanaba4r
    Jelly Bean Sep 24, 2014

5. TheDominique
    Honeycomb Sep 24, 2014

6. mwebsterpgh
    KitKat Sep 24, 2014

7. Bertti

8. abhilife2001
    Gingerbread Sep 24, 2014

9. distantsoil
    Gingerbread Sep 24, 2014

distantsoil , Sep 24, 2014 :
    Thank you for the follow up! This is great to hear just as your previous review was.

If I remember correctly a "fix" for the battery life is in the works in the next OTA. Time will tell of course.

Now, other point. If you're talking about active sync and the implementation I'm guessing you work in IT. Most end users don't know what active sync is let alone enough to know its the way exchange clients talk to exchange box.

so what I'm saying is.... You don't have a microUSB car on your desk dude?!

Hehe

10. TheDominique
    Honeycomb Sep 24, 2014

11. ZazzaBronson
    Gingerbread Sep 24, 2014

ZazzaBronson , Sep 24, 2014 :
    Nice post and insight. If I may ask, from where are you from? I am asking since you mentioned you are not in one of the launch countries, and so am I.

12. John j
    Jelly Bean Sep 24, 2014

John j , Sep 24, 2014 :
    Some phones are bending when left in pockets and sitting down.

13. lolguys
    Froyo Sep 24, 2014

lolguys , Sep 24, 2014 :
    Thanks! :) Could you expand on the battery problems? And how much usage in a working day? I'm a heavy user and I'm wondering what phone to get. I had a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and it's battery is truly horrendous and before this I had an Iphone 4 which was a lot better so I was thinking of moving back to Apple but hearing the bending issues, I became doubtful. Some tips please?

14. arunkrish123
    Honeycomb Sep 24, 2014

15. alfdjones
    Gingerbread Sep 24, 2014

alfdjones , Sep 24, 2014 :
    it's a great follow up man.

i use iphone 4s now for daily usage, work, music, chat, etc...

looks like the battery drain fast now maybe because of the age.

now saving some money for my next android daily driver. :D

Funzbob likes this.
  16. Funzbob

Funzbob , Sep 24, 2014 :

A+ review of the 1+1 phone and everything else.

Very glad you are enjoying your phone / I have had mine for around 4 months or so and I love everything about it since day 1 (would love to see a Kevlar Swap style cover from 1+ soon)

But other than that I'm 100% happy.

As always GG @OnePlus #neversettle
    I look forward to the future with 1+

17. 69gm
    Jelly Bean Sep 24, 2014

18. Darrenk
    Gingerbread Sep 24, 2014

Darrenk , Sep 24, 2014 :
    I'm actually not in IT and outsource all of it for our business. I guess I just pick things up easily ;)

Also, what is this USB car you speak of??!!

19. Darrenk
    Gingerbread Sep 24, 2014

Darrenk , Sep 24, 2014 :
    I'm from Australia

20. aerocat

aerocat , Sep 24, 2014 :
    Thanks for the review, I have a friend who's an avid Apple boy and perhaps your opinion helps persuade him to make the move ;)