For all who think NFC is just about mobile payment

1. Asuka299
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 3, 2015

Asuka299 , Aug 3, 2015 :
    NFC tags are easiest and tiny, but even switching profiles manually takes less than seconds. Why include a feature that less than half people use?,might even less actually.

2. Michklomp
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 3, 2015

sdp2391 likes this.
  3. joesweeney413
    Jelly Bean Aug 3, 2015

joesweeney413 , Aug 3, 2015 :
    Profile triggers do that without NFC.....

4. QuantumDot
    Jelly Bean Aug 3, 2015

QuantumDot , Aug 3, 2015 :
    Agreed. You make a really good point. There is nothing that NFC lets you do, that you can't do within just a couple of seconds.

Mobile Payments: Take out your credit card
    Connecting to a Bluetooth Speaker: Sliding down from the top and tapping the Bluetooth button
    Changing profiles: Sliding down from the top and tapping the profiles button
    Sending Photos: Using Wifi or Bluetooth transfer
    etc...

5. opo_tunity
    Jelly Bean Aug 3, 2015

opo_tunity , Aug 3, 2015 :
    Back when I was rocking my Raspberry Pi as a little media centre I had a tag setup beside my couch. It essentially turned on wifi, opened the xbmc app and I think connected to the correct media device (it's a while since I used it).

All this could be done manually, but it was just irritating explaining the steps each time to my technophobe gf, so easier to have her plug in the Pi, wait a few seconds then tap the tag. Job done

For those saying that all the steps can be done individually in the use cases listed above, sure they can, but for convenience one tap is much handier.

Still, OP have made their decision and for those that want it in a OP device we either stick to the current model, or wait for it to inevitably return on one of the future models. To be honest, my phone is still happily working, so I'm happy to wait it out.

gringoboy and ahighfield like this.
  6. ahighfield
    KitKat Aug 3, 2015

ahighfield , Aug 3, 2015 :
    All very true. Many people do seem to think having a fingerprint sensor minutely faster than Apple was important enough to deserve the hype treatment, so it appears those seconds (or fractions) are important conveniences to some...

sdp2391 likes this.
  7. envyraw
    Gingerbread Aug 3, 2015

envyraw , Aug 3, 2015 :
    This!! This!!! I nominate you for the president man!

8. garn3r
    Froyo Aug 3, 2015

garn3r , Aug 3, 2015 :
    And there's me getting excited when I don't have to enter my unlock code when wearing my smartwatch or remembering my car's location by bluetooth. It's like a different world! :)

9. QuantumDot
    Jelly Bean Aug 3, 2015

Having a fast fingerprint sensor can come in handy though. For example: What if someone hits your car? You need those precious milliseconds to quickly unlock your phone and take a photo/video.

There's never a situation where have to connect to a bunch of stuff via NFC as fast as possible though.

ahighfield likes this.
  10. ahighfield
    KitKat Aug 3, 2015

worrying about unlocking or fiddling with your phone might have been what caused the accident in the first place!! lol, jk with you.

Versed likes this.
  11. opo_tunity
    Jelly Bean Aug 3, 2015

Would you not just draw a circle, and have the camera come on?

DanDuke641, Paulisan and ahighfield like this.
  12. fredknapp
    Eclair Aug 3, 2015

fredknapp , Aug 3, 2015 :
    ive looked into nfc sim card. are you sure it would work and where can i buy a compatible one?

13. riffraff81
    KitKat Aug 3, 2015

riffraff81 , Aug 3, 2015 :
    there are indeed other uses for NFC besides mobile payment and nobody is using it for that either.

the complaint for no NFC has been solely about upcoming android pay. NFC tags have been around since the S3...nobody cares. people will care about using NFC when mobile payment becomes more prevalent and that won't happen for at least another year.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015

14. fredknapp
    Eclair Aug 3, 2015

fredknapp , Aug 3, 2015 :
    i have seen nfc sim cards online.

15. opo_tunity
    Jelly Bean Aug 3, 2015

*edit*
    NFC Sims are useless without the other components, search around the other NFC threads and you will get an explanation on it.

DanDuke641 and Denco1 like this.
  16. G-Man
    Gingerbread Aug 3, 2015

G-Man , Aug 3, 2015 :
    ANOTHER NFC thread... Seriously... F**k off dude and get out...

17. opo_tunity
    Jelly Bean Aug 3, 2015

It depends how much traction Apple Pay gives Google Pay, but in fairness that is for one of the many other NFC threads.

18. QuantumDot
    Jelly Bean Aug 3, 2015

Lol, I forgot that was a feature! That would be pretty quick too, but if we want to get technical, you can unlock the phone with the fingerprint sensor while you're pulling it out of your pocket, while drawing a circle requires you to properly hold the phone first.

opo_tunity likes this.
  19. ahighfield
    KitKat Aug 3, 2015

it's true that's the major mass market use and probably the most relevant to most people's daily lives potentially. but android should be about giving flexibility and choice to users. The functionality is in the OS, the tech is cheap, easy to implement and common, why not?? Many of the use cases may be marginal for everyone else, but critical for some, why exclude them?

It is most likely because they traded it for the style swaps, which are more expensive and harder to implement with NFC. I also heard something about graphite (used for heat sink against SD810) interfering with NFC frequency, which may be worth researching. the next phone may offer NFC but no style swaps as an option as long as Carl thinks NFC adoption is close enough.

20. Ian_P
    Jelly Bean Aug 3, 2015

Ian_P , Aug 3, 2015 :
    You spouted this same rubbish in the other thread you created this morning. It was wrong then. It is wrong now.

PLEASE STOP WITH ALL THESE REPEAT THREADS ABOUT THE SAME THING.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015